Bears 2006 Wish List

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 16, 2006 -> 04:53 PM)
I have a problem with Bryant though. I don't think he's fast enough.

Not only that, he's still got some mental issues. If he's not getting the ball enough, he'll let you know about it. Randle El probably makes more sense on that regard.

But I think the Browns will be pretty desperate to re-sign Antonio anyway, especially with Edwards doubtful for the start of next season.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 16, 2006 -> 07:11 PM)
He is a RFA but id love to add Brandon Lloyd to this team... he has crap QB's throwing to him in San Fran and still always shows up and is a very underated player I think.

Considering who else the 49ers have at reciever (Arnaz Battle is a freaking #2 reciever!?), there's no way they let Lloyd go.

And I don't think it's so much that Smith is a crap QB, it's not his fault if he doesn't have anytime to throw the football.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 16, 2006 -> 05:54 PM)
I agree. I think Brooks still has something left in the tank.

I was thinking he could possibly be an option for the Packers, since he played well under Mike McCarthy when he was the Offensive Co-ordinator there. But then of course Favre would have to retire, and they would likely have to give the reins to Aaron Rodgers anyways.

A team like the Jets could be an option possibly.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 16, 2006 -> 01:29 AM)
So...if I've got this right....the Bears would be best served draft wise if Pitt and Carolina win and go to the Super Bowl, because two teams that would potentially pick before them would then definitely go after?

You are half right.

The 4 playoff teams with a better record than the Bears will draft from 29 - 32. Since PIT beat the Bears they will also draft later, so say 28th. If CAR at least gets to the SB they would either draft 31st or 32nd and move past the Bears. So right now the Bears draft 27th, and will draft 26th if CAR makes it to the SB.

As for team needs, the Bears need the following:

TE, CB, OL, WR, P

I wouldn't mind a draft where the Bears picked up one of each, then added some depth in those positions as well. Get the best value for each pick.

Edited by RME JICO

Getting a TE is painfully obvious.

Randel El also makes too much sense.

A QB has to be brought in at camp. Going into 06, if Grossman and Orton are going at it for 1-2, I am going to be very upset. It would be totally irresponsible to go into the season ONCE AGAIN with all our hopes on Rex.

CB depth is a must as well. I dont know if Zoom will be back, which creates even more of a hole.

The have a very good core in place. They need a few pieces here and there, and they need to watch a whole bunch of tape of Pitt. The Bears need to become a clone of the Steelers. Like I said, they have the core, just need a few more pieces(Good TE, nice #2 WR) to finish it off.

You are 100% correct! However, you have underestimated the Bears' need for receivers. Our receiving corp is BRUTAL. We need about 3 or 4 new receivers. Randal El should be one of them.

Edited by Steve Bartman's my idol

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 16, 2006 -> 12:36 AM)
Getting a TE is painfully obvious.

I understand that we may need one, but our offense does not feature the tight end, and our current TE's havent even been used as much as they should. If we draft a TE in the first round, he will go to waste.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jan 16, 2006 -> 02:29 PM)
As for team needs, the Bears need the following:

TE, CB, OL, WR, P

I wouldn't mind a draft where the Bears picked up one of each, then added some depth in those positions as well.  Get the best value for each pick.

Umm you dont carry 2 punters and Idonno why we would get rid of our current punter.... he didnt have the greatest game yesterday but he is prob one of the best in the business.

I dont think we take a WR in the draft we have a lot of young guys and they are prob going to try and add Airese Currie to the mix...

We definitely need some OL depth for sure especially if Metcalf isnt brought back id like us to see us take a guard and tackle in the 3rd/4th.

A speedy CB is needed and if there is a guy available in the 2nd id definitely take him... and yes we definitely need to take a TE in the 1st. Mercedes Lewis seems the most athletic to me and the possible biggest game breaker in the NFL even if we lose a little blocking with him. We always have Gilmore or whatevr we can bring in on 3rd and short plays.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jan 16, 2006 -> 12:08 AM)
Draft

1. TE Davis/Lewis/Pope

2. CB Kelly Jennings (Miami) 6 ft. who runs 4.4

3. Jeremy Trueblood (BC) 6-9 Tackle

4-7 best talent available

I agree with you on the first 3 rounds...they need to address these three positions...

And I would like to see Randle El as well, via free agency.

So I gather noone really wants Anthony Fasano to be the Bears tight end next year, huh? I thought he would also make a really nice TE, and he declared for the draft a week or so ago. I think a playmaking TE will fall to the Bears in the draft this year.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 16, 2006 -> 10:34 AM)
Umm you dont carry 2 punters and Idonno why we would get rid of our current punter.... he didnt have the greatest game yesterday but he is prob one of the best in the business.

I dont think we take a WR in the draft we have a lot of young guys and they are prob going to try and add Airese Currie to the mix...

We definitely need some OL depth for sure especially if Metcalf isnt brought back id like us to see us take a guard and tackle in the 3rd/4th.

A speedy CB is needed and if there is a guy available in the 2nd id definitely take him... and yes we definitely need to take a TE in the 1st.  Mercedes Lewis seems the most athletic to me and the possible biggest game breaker in the NFL even if we lose a little blocking with him.  We always have Gilmore or whatevr we can bring in on 3rd and short plays.

Maynard one of the best in the business? Those first couple of kicks were some of the worst punting performances in NFL playoff history! You could have punted better. They need to bring in someone to compete against him next year. His Punting AVG ranked 26th in the NFL, and even though he had 24 punts inside the 20, he also had 11 touchbacks. The Bears are a field position team, and punting is a critical component of that formula. If Maynard hits average or better punts yesterday in the 1st half, who knows what might have happened. 1st punt - 19 yards, CAR starting position - CHI 36. 3rd Punt from CAR 49, 13 yards. 5th punt - 29 yards, CAR starting position - CAR 40.

The Bears receivers are not that good. Moose drops too many passes. Gage will in his 4th year next year and he has yet to show any type of improvement. Berrian and Bradley have potential, but if there is a huge value pick for WR, the Bears shouldn't pass it up. They should also look to upgrade the WR position in FA.

Yes, the OL could use some depth, and a CB would be a reasonable pick.

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 16, 2006 -> 09:34 AM)

A speedy CB is needed and if there is a guy available in the 2nd id definitely take him... and yes we definitely need to take a TE in the 1st.  Mercedes Lewis seems the most athletic to me and the possible biggest game breaker in the NFL even if we lose a little blocking with him.  We always have Gilmore or whatevr we can bring in on 3rd and short plays.

Mercedes Lewis has speed questions from what I heard even so that Mel Kiper Jr. dropped him out of the 1st round completely.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jan 16, 2006 -> 04:30 PM)
Maynard one of the best in the business? Those first couple of kicks were some of the worst punting performances in NFL playoff history!  You could have punted better.  They need to bring in someone to compete against him next year.  His Punting AVG ranked 26th in the NFL, and even though he had 24 punts inside the 20, he also had 11 touchbacks.  The Bears are a field position team, and punting is a critical component of that formula.  If Maynard hits average or better punts yesterday in the 1st half, who knows what might have happened.  1st punt - 19 yards, CAR starting position - CHI 36.  3rd Punt from CAR 49, 13 yards.  5th punt - 29 yards, CAR starting position - CAR 40.

The Bears receivers are not that good.  Moose drops too many passes.  Gage will in his 4th year next year and he has yet to show any type of improvement.  Berrian and Bradley have potential, but if there is a huge value pick for WR, the Bears shouldn't pass it up.  They should also look to upgrade the WR position in FA.

Yes, the OL could use some depth, and a CB would be a reasonable pick.

So one bad game makes him a horrible punter... not even bad game more like bad half. Also at the begining of the season we made a lot of mistakes on special teams and really he should of only had maybe 8-9 touchbacks I can remember 2 times specifically we f***ed up.

And while we are a field position team our defense played so crappy the Panthers would of scored where ever they started so... I was actually more pissed at our kick off coverage team that let them get to the 40 or close to it every time it seemed.

The recievers arent great but Bradley showed potential b4 the injury and Berrian has emerged as a favorite to Grossman. And even though it was Gage's 4th year can you really blame him.... his 1st season got little playing time but showed flashes, 2nd season our retarded OC like totally took him out of the game even though he was supposedly awesome in the summer camps and stuff, 3rd season had the likes of Quinn, Krenzel, and Hutchinson throwing, and this season had Orton. Also with Berrian and Bradley he could be the 3rd-4th reciever so he is fine.

I dont mind us looking at a WR through F/A like I said in another thread I think 2 guys I think we should look at that wont cost a fortune are Brandon Lloyd except he is a rfa and than Andre Davis of the Pats.... he showed he could be a playmaker with the Browns b4 injury.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 16, 2006 -> 05:49 PM)
You don't draft kick returners. There's 4th or 5th WR's around the league that can get it done.

Shoulda held on to JJ Moses. :P

im not saying take him in the first round but if he's available in the third round or later i would take him

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 16, 2006 -> 12:24 PM)
So one bad game makes him a horrible punter... not even bad game more like bad half.  Also at the begining of the season we made a lot of mistakes on special teams and really he should of only had maybe 8-9 touchbacks I can remember 2 times specifically we f***ed up.

And while we are a field position team our defense played so crappy the Panthers would of scored where ever they started so... I was actually more pissed at our kick off coverage team that let them get to the 40 or close to it every time it seemed.

The recievers arent great but Bradley showed potential b4 the injury and Berrian has emerged as a favorite to Grossman.  And even though it was Gage's 4th year can you really blame him.... his 1st season got little playing time but showed flashes, 2nd season our retarded OC like totally took him out of the game even though he was supposedly awesome in the summer camps and stuff, 3rd season had the likes of Quinn, Krenzel, and Hutchinson throwing, and this season had Orton.  Also with Berrian and Bradley he could be the 3rd-4th reciever so he is fine.

I dont mind us looking at a WR through F/A like I said in another thread I think 2 guys I think we should look at that wont cost a fortune are Brandon Lloyd except he is a rfa and than Andre Davis of the Pats.... he showed he could be a playmaker with the Browns b4 injury.

I gotcha. The point about Maynard is he is in the game for 7 plays and he f***s 3 of them up horribly. He was part of the problem. I was just saying if there was an elite college punter who has a great average and he is available in the late rounds then take a shot.

I understand about Gage, but having bad QBs hasn't stopped a lot of other receivers from putting up good numbers. I just think the Bears could upgrade over him as the #2 or #3 receiver. If he is the #4 then I have no problems with him, but #2 or #3 is a little high for him.

I would take Jurevicius, Givens, Lloyd, Randle El, or Caldwell from the FA market. Also, Reggie Wayne is available and the Colts are going to have a hard time finding cap room to keep him.

Just think of Wayne, Muhammad, and Berrian or Bradley. That would be a pretty nice receiving corps for Grossman.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 16, 2006 -> 10:02 AM)
Not having a TE to throw to will limit the plays designed for the TE. Desmond Clark is a waste of a roster spot, simple as that.

You prove my point even more by saying "our offense does not feature the tight end." Your right, it doesnt. But getting an impact TE will open up the playbook that much more, and make this offense more diverse.

Maybe we dont feature the tight end because it is not in the scheme. Some offenses like the west coast feature a TE as a major player, some dont. Turner hasnt shown a propensity to use it at the pro or college level.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 16, 2006 -> 11:04 AM)
Maybe we dont feature the tight end because it is not in the scheme.  Some offenses like the west coast feature a TE as a major player, some dont.  Turner hasnt shown a propensity to use it at the pro or college level.

Is it possible he hasn't used it because he hasn't had the personnel?

yeah i mapped out a plan earlier (can't find it) and he was on that list. Here is what they should do in the draft:

1st Round: Leonard Pope TE - Georgia (Very good TE that should be available in the late 1st Round)

2nd Round: Jason Avant WR - Michigan (2nd Round steal)

3rd Round: Anwar Phillips CB - Penn State (guy is a stud) or Demario Minter CB - Georgia

4th Round: Kevin Simon ILB - Tennessee

5th Round: Deuce Lutui OL - USC

6th Round: DJ Shockley QB - Georgia

7th Round: Dan Fitzpatrick P - Notre Dame

Sign Antwan Randle El to be your PR and a 2nd/3rd Wide Receiver.

Sign a veteran QB to be a back up (McNair might be a good choice or if he is let go Kitna)

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jan 16, 2006 -> 02:29 PM)
yeah i mapped out a plan earlier (can't find it) and he was on that list. Here is what they should do in the draft:

1st Round: Leonard Pope TE - Georgia (Very good TE that should be available in the late 1st Round)

2nd Round: Jason Avant WR - Michigan (2nd Round steal)

3rd Round: Anwar Phillips CB - Penn State (guy is a stud) or Demario Minter CB - Georgia

4th Round: Kevin Simon ILB - Tennessee

5th Round: Deuce Lutui OL - USC

6th Round: DJ Shockley QB - Georgia

7th Round: Dan Fitzpatrick P - Notre Dame

Sign Antwan Randle El to be your PR and a 2nd/3rd Wide Receiver.

Sign a veteran QB to be a back up (McNair might be a good choice or if he is let go Kitna)

That would be an awesome draft. I like your picks. I think that most of those are the biggest needs (TE, CB, WR, OL, and P). I don't see the Bears drafting another QB having Grossman and Orton.