Bears 2006 Wish List

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jan 16, 2006 -> 02:03 PM)
That would be an awesome draft. I like your picks.  I think that most of those are the biggest needs (TE, CB, WR, OL, and P).  I don't see the Bears drafting another QB having Grossman and Orton.

Shockley wouldn't play as a QB but as a PR or maybe extra WR like he did at Georgia before he took over as full time QB.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 16, 2006 -> 01:14 PM)
Is it possible he hasn't used it because he hasn't had the personnel?

Is it possible its just not in the scheme? He believes he has the personnel enough to throw it to them in the end zone, but apparently nowhere else on the field.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jan 16, 2006 -> 03:07 PM)
Shockley wouldn't play as a QB but as a PR or maybe extra WR like he did at Georgia before he took over as full time QB.

Oh, in that case it would be fine, I thought you wanted him as a QB.

I would take V. Davis, M. Lewis or L. Pope as a TE in the 1st Round. Any of those guys adds an element to the Bears offense that is currently non-existent, a pass catching TE.

Davis 51 - 871, 6 TD - ACC TE Receiving Leader

Lewis 58 - 741, 10 TD - John Mackey Award Winner

Pope 39 - 541, 4 TD

Edited by RME JICO

Unfortunately, I'm thinking Randle El is gonna be too pricey with his recent play and the attribujtes he brings to an offense. I would not be surprised if he gets closer to Reggie Wayne numbers than people think.... the problem with that scenerio is the Bears way overpiad for a 2nd WR at best. Muhammad has to be considered as a big free agency bust at this point. I do think Bradley has the goods and it also seems Berrian is on his way. Do away with Cage, I'd rather still have Terrell. Bryant would be a nice chance, but I wouldnt even mind trying out a Rod Gardner or sombeody like that as well as improving through the draft. Forget about speed, we need somebody that can catch a friggin ball better than 1 out of 5.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jan 16, 2006 -> 06:22 PM)
he is 6'1" and is not very slow.  He has good speed but not great speed.  He runs his routes well and he catches almost anything in sight.

6'1" is a stretch, he's 6 feet tall. He is slow, no matter how much you homerize it (runs a high 4.6 in the 40). He's smart, runs routes well, and has great hands, but there is no way he's worth a 2nd round pick. He's a Ricky Proehl type, not very big or fast, but a smart #3 or #4 receiver who can find a hole in a zone on 3rd down to make a catch.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jan 16, 2006 -> 06:22 PM)
he is 6'1" and is not very slow.  He has good speed but not great speed.  He runs his routes well and he catches almost anything in sight.

Is that the stats or your man-love talking?

His YPC is pretty terrible, and he will have trouble with separation from the corner. He is ALOT like Gage.

I don't see the Bears taking another WR so high unless they are getting one of the best in the class, something Avant isn't. They already have Muhammad, Bradley, and Berrian as their top three, and I doubt Avant will be better than any of those three, considering his lack of speed and average (at best) height. There are also more pressing needs than a WR in the second round, such as a fast CB, or a LB (depending on how they feel about Hillenmeyer).

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jan 17, 2006 -> 11:17 AM)
tell that to Braylon Edwards and Desmond Howard.

Thats the best you could come up with??

Desmond Howard had 1597 CAREER Yards with 7 td's in 10 years in the NFL

Braylon Edwards has played ONE year, compiling 512 yards and 3 td's before getting injured.

Can you please point out to me how you can call these two players "not busts." You have one player who played for 10 years and ended up with about 1 decent season worth of stats total. And a rookie who has only played 10 games, and played average in that time. Seriously Josh, tell me how they are classified as established stars?

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jan 17, 2006 -> 12:17 PM)
most draft sites have him going in the late 1st or early to middle 2nd round.

Most draft sites? Such as..

I can tell you now that Mel Kiper Jr. doesn't have Avant in the top 6 WR of the class (meaning Avant is somewhere between 6 and x, x being the amount of WR in the draft), and Kiper is usually pretty good.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 17, 2006 -> 12:39 PM)
Thats the best you could come up with??

Desmond Howard had 1597 CAREER Yards with 7 td's in 10 years in the NFL

Braylon Edwards has played ONE year, compiling 512 yards and 3 td's before getting injured.

Can you please point out to me how you can call these two players "not busts."  You have one player who played for 10 years and ended up with about 1 decent season worth of stats total.  And a rookie who has only played 10 games, and played average in that time.  Seriously Josh, tell me how they are classified as established stars?

You are now crossing the Michigan Man-Love line. WSJ will now fiercely make up bulls*** and call it fact to prove that the guy he has been cheering for since 2001 is good enough to make it in the NFL. Prepare yourself.

I didnt read this thread, and Im not going to.

But I know you guys basically knocked Tillman like crazy, said he sucked then said we need a fast CB who cannot bench 250 lbs.

Im guessing I heard a lot of generic Bears fan crap and nobody really question why Thompson was even lined up over Steve Smith, or why there was no Safety help. Just the same crap like "WE NEED HELP IN THE SECONDARY."

No we dont. Chris Harris is the best DB on our team, and thats saying a lot. Tillman is a more complete CB than Vasher and Mike Brown is a goddamn Pro Bowler.

Our defense needs a NT so Carolina's s***ty OL doesnt block even s***tier Ian Scott (led off the season so well too) and have NICK GOINGS run past them all. Our lack of an NT reminds me of a picutre I saw of 5 KC Chiefs getting blocked by 1 GIANTS LINEMAN, then Ron Dayne busting a 15 yard gain.

It seems like everyone is focusing on the offense, but I'm not entirely happy with this defense yet either. We have a lot of good players but few elite ones. Plus our schedule will get a bit harder next year playing a first-place out of division schedule. I'm not so sure the defense can hold up quite as well when we have to play more top-level offenses. Our focus should be on O-line depth, WR's, and TE's, but we should also consider getting another corner, a safety, or an OLB (I'm not sold on our LB's outside of Urlacher and Briggs), even if it's in the first round. I think we've got room for improvement at all of those spots. If someone like Michael Huff or Chad Greenway slips (I know both seem unlikely, but strange things happen on occasion), we shouldn't just let them go because we have more pressing needs on offense. I'd like to see one of the TE's or Holmes as our first rounder, but unless it's a D-lineman or a runningback, I don't want to see us pass on a higher rated player just because our other positions need more help.

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Jan 17, 2006 -> 01:57 PM)
I didnt read this thread, and Im not going to.

But I know you guys basically knocked Tillman like crazy, said he sucked then said we need a fast CB who cannot bench 250 lbs.

Im guessing I heard a lot of generic Bears fan crap and nobody really question why Thompson was even lined up over Steve Smith, or why there was no Safety help.  Just the same crap like "WE NEED HELP IN THE SECONDARY."

No we dont.  Chris Harris is the best DB on our team, and thats saying a lot.  Tillman is a more complete CB than Vasher and Mike Brown is a goddamn Pro Bowler.

Our defense needs a NT so Carolina's s***ty OL doesnt block even s***tier Ian Scott (led off the season so well too) and have NICK GOINGS run past them all.  Our lack of an NT reminds me of a picutre I saw of 5 KC Chiefs getting blocked by 1 GIANTS LINEMAN, then Ron Dayne busting a 15 yard gain.

I disagree that we don't need any help in the secondary. Some of it can be blamed on our D-line not playing as well as they usually do, but there were some seriously blown coverages out there. I think Bears' fans in general overrate our guys. Vasher is a solid guy and makes some big plays. I won't knock him. Tillman is solid but not spectacular. We make him sound like a shutdown elite corner, but he clearly isn't. Brown is good in run support, but I'm not so sure about his pass coverage. The bigger issue is that he's always hurt. I haven't really seen Harris or any of our backup DB's do anything of import, so I'd say that there is definitely room for improvement. It's not like we have Champ Bailey, Ed Reed, and Brian Dawkins in our secondary. Maybe it isn't our biggest area of concern, but it isn't set in my book either.

The problem is that we're not going to draft a NT because those type of players don't fit in our system. Lovie likes to play a one-gap system, meaning of DT's are supposed to penetrate and make plays as opposed to just taking up blockers. Considering that this was the first game in a while that our line didn't do much, I'm not all that concerned about it.