Sox Showed Interest in Prior

Al Lopez's Ghost

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guarantee such an acquisition would cost McCarthy and Cotts. Baltimore wouldn't have any intentions of trading Prior, since they obviously need pitching, unless we were willing to provide a good package. I wouldn't want Prior for the price Baltimore would likely seek.

Although that would also be dependent upon the value Contreras would bring in a trade. Certaintly no one on McCarthy or Cotts level, but we'd need a quality BP arm/top pitching prospect.

You figure Prior wouldn't be pitching on the southside very long, anyways. Once he's a free agent, and commanding 13 million+ year, he's moving onto other markets. McCarthy alone is worth more to this team longterm than Prior.

Here is the Boston Globe article excerpt:

Would you believe that the White Sox were hovering on the fringes of the Tejada trade talks, not because of any interest in Tejada but in the hopes that if the Orioles peddled him to the Chicago Cubs for ace Mark Prior, they would have been willing to flip Prior to the crosstown White Sox in a package?

Why would the Sox make that trade? Seems like a lot of speculation. Could easily have been a misunderstanding since both the Sox and Cubs were involved with BAL.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/reds...pitcher/?page=3

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 16, 2006 -> 11:30 AM)
If the Sox stole Prior from the O's, i think Cubdom(dumb-dedum-dumb) would have a mass suicide.    That would be the ultimate stick in the eye if the Cubs had to face Prior in the crosstown classic.

Probably not because he would be on the DL.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jan 16, 2006 -> 11:33 AM)
Probably not because he would be on the DL.

I think Coop would be able to fix his mechanics better than Rothschild. Personally I think Rothschild has an under the table deal with Dr James Andrews to send as many messed up pitchers to him as possible. Its all theory though, just fun to think about.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 16, 2006 -> 10:45 AM)
I wonder if this rumor was before or after the Vazquez trade.  Did KW still want Prior AFTER acquiring Vazquez?

Probably afterwards. Real question is after Garland was locked up or before? That would've been one hell of a rotation if it was after and we dealt Count(though I love the guy).

SP-Buehrle

SP-Prior

SP-Garland

SP-Garcia

SP-Vazquez

That is one siiiiiiiick rotation that's also still relatively young. All of them would be entering their primes or already are in it.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 16, 2006 -> 11:45 AM)
We were considering Prior for Contreras I guarentee you.  We wanted Prior for 3 years instead of Contreras for one.  This isn't a shock at all.

I thought Prior signed a 5 yr deal thru 2006 and he would have 6 years of service time in 2007. So wouldn't that make him eligible for FA after 2007? Either way I guess the risk and reward factor would be worth a shot since he makes chump change at 3.6 Million.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 16, 2006 -> 04:37 PM)
I think Coop would be able to fix his mechanics better than Rothschild.  Personally I think Rothschild has an under the table deal with Dr James Andrews to send as many messed up pitchers to him as possible.  Its all theory though, just fun to think about.

There is nothing wrong with Prior's mechanics :bang I think your thinking about our pal Kerry Wood.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 16, 2006 -> 11:02 AM)
Probably would've been Count, Sweeney, and Woodson.

Orioles would laugh. Think about it--Orioles could have one of the premier pitchers in the game for three years in Prior; or a craptacular package of a late 30's Cuban with one year remaining on his contract, and two prospects far from can't miss.

It would have been McCarthy and Cotts, if I had to guess. Only makes sense for Baltimore.

I can't say I am surprised at the news. I am sure KW leaves no stone unturned and looks at everyone who might be available (unless they are a Boras client :ph34r: ).

That said, considering what the O's wanted for Tejada, the price tag for Prior would have been BMac, the Birmingham Barons, Mrs. Podsednik, and cash just to make things fair.

SFF

Edited by SpringfieldFan

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 16, 2006 -> 12:03 PM)
who care what it would have cost?  I would rather have prior than BMAC any day of the week.

This is all speculation from us--since we have no idea what the Orioles would seek. But if you believe it would cost JUST McCarthy, well, then obviously you didn't notice the outrageous demands Orioles presented for Tejada. It wouldn't be just McCarthy. McCarthy and Cotts may not have been enough. What sense would it make for a pitching depleted team to deal Prior for just McCarthy?

Are you willing to forsake BMac and Cotts for three years of Prior? As I said earlier in the thread, I believe Prior is playing for free-agency; aka, big bucks. If the White Sox were positive they could obtain him beyond his Cubs' contract, and Contreras would bring us a decent package, then I'd approve it.

Sort of ridiculous to argue on three possible scenario's which stem from one point that never occured. Personally, Cotts/McCarthy or Prior would have been fine. I'm just attempting to guess a reasonable cost.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 16, 2006 -> 12:06 PM)
How dare you say that about the legend. The way some people talk about McCarthy reminds me of how people talked about Reed, if not worse.

Considering Reed never saw a major league pitch while a White Sox it's not exactly the same comparison. It would be if he struggled, was sent down to AAA, corrected his swing, came back, and became one the team's (and leagues) best hitters down the final stretch.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Jan 16, 2006 -> 10:15 AM)
Where would he play?

That is your response to everything bartman, and also shouldnt be in green because he would easily be starting, but the trade wont happen and i dont want an injury prone pitcher.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jan 16, 2006 -> 12:22 PM)
This is all speculation from us--since we have no idea what the Orioles would seek. But if you believe it would cost JUST McCarthy, well, then obviously you didn't notice the outrageous demands Orioles presented for Tejada. It wouldn't be just McCarthy. McCarthy and Cotts may not have been enough. What sense would it make for a pitching depleted team to deal Prior for just McCarthy?

Are you willing to forsake BMac and Cotts for three years of Prior? As I said earlier in the thread, I believe Prior is playing for free-agency; aka, big bucks. If the White Sox were positive they could obtain him beyond his Cubs' contract, and Contreras would bring us a decent package, then I'd approve it.

Sort of ridiculous to argue on three possible scenario's which stem from one point that never occured. Personally, Cotts/McCarthy or Prior would have been fine. I'm just attempting to guess a reasonable cost.

BMAC+Contreras+prospects yes I would do it. Cotts wouldnt even be in the deal.