Timo or Willie

winninguglyin83

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Jan 16, 2006 -> 10:00 AM)
Been out of the loop for a bit.

Just wondering if either of these guys has signed with another team -- or if the Sox are chatting with either one of them?

would think somebody would take a look at willie because of his age, speed and versatility.

I don't follow Timo, and the Rockies were interested in Harris, but he wanted too much money:

The Rockies had been talking with free-agent Willie Harris about the utility job, but he was seeking more than double the $450,000 the Rockies offered and is not as capable at shortstop as Wilson.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Jan 16, 2006 -> 10:27 AM)
so they are both unsigned?

I assume Mackowiak is our primary utility outfielder. Who is going to be the fifth outfielder?

Borchard? Owens? Any other nominees out there?

I actually thought Mackowiak would be a primary utility infielder along with Pablo, and Borchard, gload, or another player from the minors would step in for the extra utility OF role. Who knows what happens though

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Jan 16, 2006 -> 12:11 PM)
I got the impression that the 4th OF'er was going to be Borchard and I support that if it does happen. I think he might get  agood look at the CF job too, if Anderson isn't ready.

I would venture to guess that Anderson is more ready than Joe Borchard has ever been at any point.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Jan 16, 2006 -> 12:11 PM)
I got the impression that the 4th OF'er was going to be Borchard and I support that if it does happen. I think he might get  agood look at the CF job too, if Anderson isn't ready.

IMO, Borchard should be ready to wipe his own butt before being given a shot at the CF job..

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Jan 16, 2006 -> 08:08 PM)
if Borch ain't the fourth outfielder, who is it going to be?

Considering the chance for injuries, the fourth and fifth outfielders are pretty important folks.

IMO it will be Borchard.

Who are the other options at this point?

Jerry Owens most likely lost his chance due to leaving the winter league early. I'd rather see him get consistent playing time at AAA anyhow.

Perez and Harris are both goners.

There could be a couple of non-roster ST invitees who have a shot, but with a solid spring I think Borchard will take the job.