Panthers v Seahawks

Bobby Engram will have problems getting off of a jam against big CB's like Gamble and Ken Lucas. Joe Jurevicius will be the one to watch, and I will be interested to see if Peppers drops back in coverage to help out with him. I believe the game will come down to Shaun Alexander and Steve Smith. Which team can slow the other one down the most. Who knew Jake Delhomme's numbers were just about equal to Hasselback's? I certainly didn't, and I have seen every Panthers game this year for the most part.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 16, 2006 -> 01:48 PM)
I'll confess I haven't seen the Seahawks enough this year to judge their secondary's performance, but if he's as good as you 2 suggest...he's the key to winning that ballgame.

I'd expect some help over the top with a safety on Smith too...at least more than the Bears gave.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 11:42 PM)
Panthers will win this one easily.  The Seahawks are an extremely overrated, and Steve Smith will rip up their secondary.

You don't think Trufant will do a better job at covering Smith then what Tillman did? And surely the Seahawks will start double covering Smith if he starts getting hot.

Of course it won't really matter, if the Panthers can't even get a running game going without Foster.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 07:47 AM)
You don't think Trufant will do a better job at covering Smith then what Tillman did?

He might do a better job than Tillman did, which isn't saying much, but he won't do enough to stop Smith.

And surely the Seahawks will start double covering Smith if he starts getting hot.

I doubt it will matter. They double cover Smith and other receivers will be open. Delhomme knows how to handle himself and what to do in a postseason game.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 10:07 AM)
He might do a better job than Tillman did, which isn't saying much, but he won't do enough to stop Smith.

I doubt it will matter.  They double cover Smith and other receivers will be open.  Delhomme knows how to handle himself and what to do in a postseason game.

Surely Trufant will do a good enough job. I'm a Cowboys fan and will even admit he's better than Newman. Just in case you didn't know, Newman gave Smith fits and Smith had his worst game of the season against the Cowboys with only 1 catch for 13 yards before being ejected in the 3rd.

Gameplan for Smith is simple. Rough him up, get the FS to roam towards him on every pass play and don't let him get out of his blocks clean.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 07:47 PM)
Surely Trufant will do a good enough job. I'm a Cowboys fan and will even admit he's better than Newman. Just in case you didn't know, Newman gave Smith fits and Smith had his worst game of the season against the Cowboys with only 1 catch for 13 yards before being ejected in the 3rd.

Gameplan for Smith is simple. Rough him up, get the FS to roam towards him on every pass play and don't let him get out of his blocks clean.

I hardly call any gameplan to stop the hottest wideout in the league simple, as he will get 100 and 1 without a problem against the Seattle defense that is probably underrated a bit, but still not that great. I've watched a lot of the Seattle games this year, having drafted Trufant, and numbers wise he was a big dissapointment this year, but the man seems to be a ball hawk player, but not quite Ed Reed yet. I think the key to this game comes down to whether Nick Goings can get 20/100 for the game. If so, they may put an extra man in the box, and if that happens, watch out for #89. I thought Seattle did do a good job on the wideout screen on S. Moss, so Carolina better not try to run that too often.

Anyway, Panthers by 3 in OT is my prediction...