Prison question

sox4lifeinPA

It's sad, but I have a friend that's getting locked up for like a year, and I wanted to visit him like once a month to keep his spirits up. Does anyone have experience with prison visits? it's just the county lock up so it's nothing high profile. I don't want the fear of prison to keep me from visiting a friend. This guy did this to himself, but I can't imagine the fear and lonliness he's going to feel.

anyway, if anyone's got comments, I'm open to it.

Thanks

Took a criminal justice class in college where we visited a couple of prisons, and luckily for him it's county and not state. Now I'm not saying county jails are country clubs, but usually they are a little more controlled as far as gangs go.

I don't want to scare you away, but honestly they are no fun to visit. They will make you cheerish your freedom, that's for sure. The smells, the dreary colors, it really is depressing. Be prepared for a little shock the first time you go.

However, I do think it is important for you to keep the spirits of your friend up, if he knows he has support from friends and family maybe he will use this time in prison to turn his life around.

I don't think you should fear for your own safety if that's what you mean. It's not like you'll meet with him out in the yard with the general pop.

If you've ever been locked up for a weekend or even just overnight, you know that jails and prisons are not supposed to be pleasant. It's amazing how many people are repeat offenders though.

I have a friend who went to visit his best friend in jail. THe guy was locked up for a year or so also. My buddy took two visits and decided to never go again. He couldn't handle it, and it pretty much straightened him out! Now though, this guy was/is known for stretching the truth a little bit, so who knows how much of it was "bad things" and how much was pure laziness that kept him from ever going again. I just know he said it was "scary as hell", and this was a guy in a fairly well known Death Metal band. :D