Teixera signs

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jan 17, 2006 -> 11:28 AM)
espn.com 2 years 15.4 million. 6 this year and 9.4 next avoiding arbitration both years. He is a free agent after 08. Isn't this a mild departure for Scott Boras? I know he doesn't trade away free agent years but I thought he only went year by year until then

Well, he kinda did. Since Tex is arb eligible for two more years, I think he did well to get his client some money (probably more than he would've gotten in arbitration) for the two years and then can get the big money in '08. Now Tex doesn't have to worry, Boras gets his client to free agency and Texas has their 1b for two more years.

Teixeira agrees to $15.4 million, two-year deal with Rangers

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AqFl...ov=ap&type=lgns

ARLINGTON, Texas (AP) -- All-Star first baseman Mark Teixeira agreed to a $15.4 million, two-year contract Tuesday with the Texas Rangers, avoiding salary arbitration this year and next.

Teixeira hit .301 with 43 home runs and 144 RBIs last season. The RBIs were the most for a switch-hitter, breaking the record set by George Davis, who had 136 RBIs for the New York Giants in 1896.

Teixeira will get $6 million this season, and $9.4 million in 2007.

In three major league seasons, the former first-round pick has a .282 career average with 107 homers and 340 RBIs.

Teixeira also won a Gold Glove last season, when he led AL first basemen with a .998 fielding percentage, making three errors in 1,483 chances.

Texas selected Teixeira fifth overall in the 2001 amateur draft and gave him a $9.5 million, four-year contract. He is not eligible for free agency until after the 2008 season.

If the Rangers were able to avoid arbitration with Teixeira/Boras, I would hope that we will be able to avoid arbitration with Crede/Boras.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jan 17, 2006 -> 08:38 AM)
Well, he kinda did.  Since Tex is arb eligible for two more years, I think he did well to get his client some money (probably more than he would've gotten in arbitration) for the two years and then can get the big money in '08.  Now Tex doesn't have to worry, Boras gets his client to free agency and Texas has their 1b for two more years.

And the Yankees get theirs in 08.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 04:50 AM)
Youkilis is a damned good player.  I'd take him over Lee in an instant based alone on the price Lee would be (especially if the Yankees are pursuing him)

You would take Youkilis who hasnt proved anything yet over Lee who if he actually had a decent top of the lineup last season would of been a serious triple crown contender.....

QUOTE(Felix @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 11:50 PM)
Youkilis is a damned good player.  I'd take him over Lee in an instant based alone on the price Lee would be (especially if the Yankees are pursuing him)

Youkilis cant hold Derrek Lee's jock. If this guy has been the second coming of, well, every infielder in the history of infielders then why hasnt he been able to crack the starting lineup of Boston for the past 2 years? Boston has played some pretty dismal offensive players in his positions(2B and 3B) for the past 2 years(ex. Cora, Bellhorn, Ricky Gutierrez), why didnt they give Youkilis an extended shot?

The Greek God of Walks thing is funny too. In 208 at bats in 2004, he had 33 walks and 45 strikeouts. In 79 at bats last year, 14 walks and 19 strikeouts. True, not alot of at bats, but the kid doesnt need that nickname if he is striking out more than he walks.

Youkilis is a damned good player. I'd take him over Lee in an instant based alone on the price Lee would be (especially if the Yankees are pursuing him)

I'm not saying Youkilis is a better player than Lee. Lee is a much better player, but considering the fact that big money teams would be interested in Lee, and wouldn't shy away from the checkbook, Youkilis would be a huge bargin. Not spending the big bucks on Lee would then allow Boston to fill other more important holes.. such as their pitching.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 05:59 PM)
I'm not saying Youkilis is a better player than Lee.  Lee is a much better player, but considering the fact that big money teams would be interested in Lee, and wouldn't shy away from the checkbook, Youkilis would be a huge bargin.  Not spending the big bucks on Lee would then allow Boston to fill other more important holes.. such as their pitching.

Ok we understand Lee will cost more but Youkilis hasnt proven anything so how is he a bargain.... just because Billy Beane had a mancrush on him?

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 03:44 PM)
Ok we understand Lee will cost more but Youkilis hasnt proven anything so how is he a bargain.... just because Billy Beane had a mancrush on him?

No, because his minor league numbers are extremely impressive, and if they are any indication of how he'll do in the majors, he will be a bargin.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 04:49 PM)
Why did the Phillies trade Jim Thome?

Why did the Brewers trade Lyle Overbay?

How much time did Aaron Rowand have in the league as a starter?

How much time did Youkilis have as a starter?

Is this even a valid comparison? You are grasping at straws now, Prince Fielder isnt Kevin Youkilis. Prince Fielder will have (diet provided) a great career. The kid was born to hit.

It should tell you something that Prince Fielder made his token appearance last year and got Lyle Overbay, an incredible hitter, traded away this offseason. Yet Youkilis has been in Boston two years, and the Red Sox have traded for not one, but two 3rd baseman(Lowell and Marte), AND went ahead and traded for Mark Loretta for a 2nd baseman while holding onto Tony G.

Youkilis is the product of New England hype, nothing more, nothing less.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 06:03 PM)
How much time did Aaron Rowand have in the league as a starter?

How much time did Youkilis have as a starter?

I wasn't comparing Rowand and Youkilis. I was saying that teams do give players who don't have any major league experience, but have potential (Brian Anderson), chances.

I did misword my question about Rowand, a better question would be "Why did the Sox feel Rowand was expendable?" The answer is because Anderson had potential to be a good player in center next year.

All of this came around because I said Youkilis would be a bargin based on his impressive minor league stats, and you claimed that what I said was based on potential as if it were a bad thing.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 09:21 PM)
I did misword my question about Rowand, a better question would be "Why did the Sox feel Rowand was expendable?"  The answer is because Anderson had potential to be a good player in center next year.

And the answer to the question has NOTHING to do with Brian Anderson. Rowand became expendable because Jim Thome became available.

All of this came around because I said Youkilis would be a bargin based on his impressive minor league stats, and you claimed that what I said was based on potential as if it were a bad thing.

Potential is the double edged sword. Minor leagues stats dont always translate in the majors, and you are looking at Youkilis' numbers as if that is how he would be projected in the majors, and it just isnt the case. If someone were a bargain based on minor league stats, then the White Sox would be perennial World Series players. Joe Borchard had tons of potential coming out of college, and it hasnt gotten him anywhere.