Teixera signs

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 12:43 PM)
and where have I ever said I hated Billy Beane and everything about him..... because Youkilis is a stiff and I call you out on that means I hate Billy Beane?

Youkilis isn't a stiff however. If your evidence that he's a stiff is that he hits .260 and has more K than BB, then something is wrong with you.

And you still haven't answered my question:

QUOTE(Felix @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 11:14 AM)
And just a question, if you had the choice of two top of the order hitters, players A and B, which would you take?  Player A hits .260, but has a .400 OBP and player B hits .300, but has a .330 OBP.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Felix @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 11:48 AM)
Youkilis isn't a stiff however.  If your evidence that he's a stiff is that he hits .260 and has more K than BB, then something is wrong with you.

There is much, much more that goes into being a top of the order hitter then just obp. You have to supply much more details of the two players before you can decide on that.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 12:48 PM)
Youkilis isn't a stiff however.  If your evidence that he's a stiff is that he hits .260 and has more K than BB, then something is wrong with you.

Felix, I have already shown you that there were no .260 BA, .400+ OBP in the league last season. What's is the point in mentioning the ".300 BA, .330 OBP." We're comparing Youk to Teixera, Fielder, Howard, and Derrek Lee.

:huh:

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 12:55 PM)
There is much, much more that goes into being a top of the order hitter then just obp.  You have to supply much more details of the two players before you can decide on that.

Assume everything else is equal.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 12:58 PM)
Why would I even answer that in the first place is Youkilis going to bat leadoff....

I said top of the order, meaning batting first or second. That question has nothing to do with Youkilis, and if you answer it, that would be cool.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 01:40 PM)
Felix, I have already shown you that there were no .260 BA, .400+ OBP in the league last season. 

Before Barry Bonds had 73 homeruns in a season, no one had done that either.

What's is the point in mentioning the ".300 BA, .330 OBP."  We're comparing Youk to Teixera, Fielder, Howard, and Derrek Lee.

:huh:

That question has nothing to do with Youkilis. It has to do with the concept of low BA, but high OBP compared to high BA, but low OBP. I'm curious as to which he would take.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 05:23 PM)
Before Barry Bonds had 73 homeruns in a season, no one had done that either.

HUH? :huh:

QUOTE(Felix @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 05:23 PM)
That question has nothing to do with Youkilis.  It has to do with the concept of low BA, but high OBP compared to high BA, but low OBP.  I'm curious as to which he would take.

What the hell does that have to do with this subject? Didn't you say Boston shouldn't go after DLee because of Youkilis? Why did you even bring up this topic. Derrek does not have the profile of a guy who has a high BA but low OBP.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 09:01 PM)
HUH?  :huh:

Just because a player hasn't hit .260/.400 before doesn't mean it can't be done.

What the hell does that have to do with this subject?  Didn't you say Boston shouldn't go after DLee because of Youkilis?  Why did you even bring up this topic.  Derrek does not have the profile of a guy who has a high BA but low OBP.

Because SoxFan101 thinks that Youkilis is "a stiff" (his words). He claimed this because Youkilis supposedly hits .260 (although since everything I have said about Youkilis in the majors is based on if his minor league numbers [where he hit .299 in his minor league career] translate to the majors) ,and has more K than BB (also wouldn't be true because of the situation I have been describing the whole time about if his minor league numbers translate, but lets ignore that fact for now). I do not believe that him hitting .260 is a bad thing considering the fact that he puts up an extremely high OBP, and for this reason I don't think his batting average make him "a stiff". The reason I brought up the question was to find out which he values more from a top of the order (#1 or #2) hitter, average or on-base percentage. If he values batting average more, I'll just give up now. If he values OBP more, then I'm curious as to why Youkilis is considered a stiff.

And I said that Boston shouldn't go after Lee because they have more pressing needs than 1B, considering the fact that they have a good, cheap inhouse option there.

Edited by Felix

Can I take medium(.280) BA with a medium(.360) OBP?

He's getting on base more than the .300/.330 while undoubtedly producing more doubles and such than the .260/.400.

Base stealing, speed, the ability to hit the ball to all fields, bunting, and even being able to not strike out are all nice too.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 22, 2006 -> 07:25 AM)
Can I take medium(.280) BA with a medium(.360) OBP? 

He's getting on base more than the .300/.330 while undoubtedly producing more doubles and such than the .260/.400.

Base stealing, speed, the ability to hit the ball to all fields, bunting, and even being able to not strike out are all nice too.

exactly.... I dont want the .300/.330 guy because his OBP is too low for a guy on the top of the order and its basicly having Willie Harris. But at the same time to bat leadoff you need to at least hit low .280's or high .270's.... a .350-.360 OBP is good enough if you hit for a higher avg.

Believe it or not there is a difference between hitting the ball for a single/double/triple than just getting a walk.

Thats not what I asked though. I asked which of the two would you take. There isn't a third choice, there are 2 choices. Player A hits .260 with a .400 OBP, Player B hits .300 with a .330 OBP. Who do you take?

And .300/.330 is having Willie? Willie hits in the .260's.. >_

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(Felix @ Jan 22, 2006 -> 06:18 PM)
Thats not what I asked though.  I asked which of the two would you take.  There isn't a third choice, there are 2 choices.  Player A hits .260 with a .400 OBP, Player B hits .300 with a .330 OBP.  Who do you take?

And .300/.330 is having Willie?  Willie hits in the .260's.. >_

I wouldnt take either thats my choice.... id put player A in the 9th hole and player B in the 6th-7th maybe 5th if its a bad hitting team.

And im talking about what was it 04 Willie when he batted leadoff while Uribe batted 2nd for awhile when Valentin went on the DL.... he was hitting around .300 for that time.