Crede signs 1-year deal!

SSH2005

According to WSCR 670 The Score's latest scoreboard update. I believe the guy said 1-year, $2.675 million. Our roster contains no more arbitration-eligible players so barring trades, our roster is complete.

Edited by SSH2005

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

White Sox agree to terms on one-year contract with third baseman Joe Crede

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

CHICAGO -- The Chicago White Sox have agreed to terms on a one-year, $2.675-million contract with third baseman Joe Crede, avoiding arbitration.

Crede, 27, batted .252 (109-432) with a career-high 22 home runs and 62 RBI in 129 games with the White Sox in 2005. He ranked third among American League third baseman with a .971 (10 E/348 TC) fielding percentage and fifth in home runs.

The 6-foot-1, 195-pound Crede became the fourth White Sox third baseman to hit 20-plus home runs in back-to-back seasons, joining Robin Ventura (1995-96), Bill Melton (1969-71, '73-74) and Pete Ward (1963-64).

Crede hit .289 (13-45) with three doubles, four home runs and 11 RBI in 12 postseason games for the World Champion White Sox. His home run and RBI totals rank second in White Sox postseason history, behind only Paul Konerko (5 HR/15 RBI in 2005). Crede also donated his glove used throughout the regular and postseason to the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum.

With Crede's signing, the White Sox have no remaining arbitration eligible players.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 17, 2006 -> 05:23 PM)
Someone has it in their sig.  I believe Crede isn't a free agent until after the 2008 season so the Sox still have rights to him for 2007 and 2008.

cool, i was thinking that with this contract signed we somehow lose the arbitration rights for the next 2 years...like a whole new contract or something

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 17, 2006 -> 11:23 AM)
Someone has it in their sig.  I believe Crede isn't a free agent until after the 2008 season so the Sox still have rights to him for 2007 and 2008.

I had it in my sig for about 3 months, it will be making a return appearance. He is ours through '08 so you are correct.

I speculated a few months ago that Crede would probably get about $2.5M if he ended up going to arbitration w/ Blalock and Belliard both making $3M next year and Crede's stats being less impressive than theirs so the $2.675 makes sense for both sides I guess.

What a difference a year makes. How many people would have been worried about Crede resigning a year or so ago? He was the throw-in player many of us wanted to discard in hypothetical trades before last season. That is good news, though. I just hope his back is ready for another 173 games.

White Sox agreed to terms with third baseman Joe Crede on a one-year, $2.675 million contract.

Crede can earn $200,000 in performance bonuses: $60,000 for 500 plate appearances and $70,000 each for 525 and 550. The White Sox are concerned about Crede's back and will sit him in favor of Rob Mackowiak against the occasional tough righty, but there's still reason to believe he's in line for his best season in 2006.