Contreras Talks Dry Up

DBAHO

Not really any new earth shattering news, but I'll post it anyways. From the Southtown;

As for right-handed pitcher Jose Contreras, the chances of signing him to a contract extension have all but "dried up" for the time being.

Part of that jelling process will involve Contreras, but for how long? Two weeks ago, the Sox contacted Contreras' agent, Jaime Torres, and asked what it would take to get a multiyear deal done.

"Several weeks ago, we had a very candid conversation where we wanted them to get to a bottom line. They did that, and it wasn't realistic for us to do,'' Hahn said. "Contreras talks for right now are dried up.''

The two sides are believed to be apart on both length of contract and salary.

"We have Jose through 2006 and exclusivity to negotiate with him through Nov. 15 next season," Hahn said. "I suppose something could change and we could still get a deal done between now and then, but the nature of our conversations with Jaime were bottom line."

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/ds.../pro/181sd1.htm

I really thought the Count was comfortable with his surroundings in Chicago. It's unfortunate that a guy from such a meager background, who is already rich beyond his wildest dreams, is apparently putting the dollar ahead of comfort. I hope both sides manage to get something done eventually. I like the Count and want him around for a couple/few more years.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 10:17 AM)
Maybe it's because he came from such a meager background that more dollars=more comfort.

Think of it this way. We have him signed through the year. He doesn't have an extension. If we need something at the trade deadline, he's our man. And, hopefully, he'll be the pitcher he was last year...even 3/4 the pitcher and we should get something good in return.

If we can't trade him, we keep him for the year and hopefully get the draft pick...I would imagine it would be a sandwich pick at least. If not that, he goes and gets whatever he wants, and we plug in BMAC, who will have one more year of experience under his belt.

Kenny is dealing from a position of strength. We want the Count here, but we are prepared if he leaves. What a fantastic job by K-Dub!!!

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 10:49 AM)
This is Contreras's last chance for a big contract in his life.  He HAS to make this one count as this is it. 

We're being a weeee bit dramatic, arent we? The man makes $8 million a year, his family isnt out panhandling for food or anything.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 08:33 AM)
Think of it this way.  We have him signed through the year.  He doesn't have an extension.  If we need something at the trade deadline, he's our man.  And, hopefully, he'll be the pitcher he was last year...even 3/4 the pitcher and we should get something good in return.

If we can't trade him, we keep him for the year and hopefully get the draft pick...I would imagine it would be a sandwich pick at least.  If not that, he goes and gets whatever he wants, and we plug in BMAC, who will have one more year of experience under his belt.

Kenny is dealing from a position of strength.  We want the Count here, but we are prepared if he leaves.  What a fantastic job by K-Dub!!!

If he pitches like he did during the 2nd half of last season we'd be fools to trade him. Ride him into the post-season and see what can happen cause the guy was a beast for the 2nd half of the season (best pitcher in the AL too).

I thought it was all but decided he was going to be a lame duck this season? Kenny is really in the cat-bird's seat here. He has six starting pitchers to make another run at a pennant in 2006, after that, McCarthy can step right in and fill a void made by Contreras' departure. Let the guy pitch his ass off in his walk year and any production we get is gravy. Personally, I have my doubts he can continue his late-season success in 2006, but, he was our second-half ace and we are a much better team with him on board. Truth is, I doubt the Sox are interested in signing Contreras to a Garlandesq contract when they have mini-McDowell waiting in the wings. I'm thinking they laid it out in front of both the Garland and Contreras camp and said they were interested in getting some cost certainty and extending some contracts and Garland was the first to "step up," as said by Kenny Williams.

It's a win-win.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 12:23 PM)
If he pitches like he did during the 2nd half of last season we'd be fools to trade him.  Ride him into the post-season and see what can happen cause the guy was a beast for the 2nd half of the season (best pitcher in the AL too).

If the right offer comes around...I'd trade him. If we don't have any needs...then keep him.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 09:32 AM)
If the right offer comes around...I'd trade him.  If we don't have any needs...then keep him.

I still don't like the idea of having as valuable of a chip as him and letting him walk with us getting absolutely nothing in return, given that we want to build a franchise that can win for a long time here.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 09:37 AM)
I still don't like the idea of having as valuable of a chip as him and letting him walk with us getting absolutely nothing in return, given that we want to build a franchise that can win for a long time here.

If we got another Ws championship out of it I'll be able to live with it.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 11:37 AM)

They're going for it again in 2006. If Contreras is stellar, why would you want to trade him mid-season unless there is some unforeseen gaping hole at that time? Yes, you want to build a perennial contender, but, at the expense of success in 2006, a year in which we are built to defend our World Championship? Count me out.

This guy basically had 4 good months out of his career in the US. Until this past fall he was deemed undependable, but now people want to rush out and give him 10 million. No thanks. He is being paid on scale at 8 million and he is in his mid thirties and pitched alot of innings in Cuba in years past. let him prove it again. If we win the world series again there will be plently of money to sign this guy, If not then let him go. This is the exact reason we got vasquez. All is good.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 09:44 AM)
They're going for it again in 2006.  If Contreras is stellar, why would you want to trade him mid-season unless there is some unforeseen gaping hole at that time?  Yes, you want to build a perennial contender, but, at the expense of success in 2006, a year in which we are built to defend our World Championship?  Count me out.

Now that we've gotten 1...if I felt like it gave us a better chance to win the W.S. in 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, etc., yes, I would be willing to sacrifice 1 pitcher in 2006. We will still be a contender if we do trade him, and whether or not we win 120+ games would then depend on how well everyone holds up. But if we got a couple more young pieces, of any sort, to stick into our lineup in 07-08, that makes the rest of our players (read: Mark Buehrle) more affordable, and makes us better for the long term.

Long-term gains weren't worth sacrificing winning the first one. That I can understand. But I could understand how long-term gains could be worth waiting 1 year for improvement.

QUOTE(Adam G @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 11:52 AM)
We're being a weeee bit dramatic, arent we?  The man makes $8 million a year, his family isnt out panhandling for food or anything.

Like I said, he is going to live the rest of life on the money he gets out of this deal. After this contract he is going to be near 40 and no one is going to pay him anything at that age. Out of curiousity how much money do you think it would take for you to support your entire family for the rest of their lives? There is no way of knowing something like that. I know that is already rich beyond anything we will ever know, but at the sametime, his window to make money is closing quickly. This isn't just about today, it is about 40 years from now.

QUOTE(Adam G @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 10:52 AM)
We're being a weeee bit dramatic, arent we?  The man makes $8 million a year, his family isnt out panhandling for food or anything.

Today they aren't... but who knows how things will be in 15, 20, 30, 40 years. This is his last chance to make the bucks. He's not crying the "Spreewell Cry". I think his requests are fair and in line with the market.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 12:53 PM)
Today they aren't... but who knows how things will be in 15, 20, 30, 40 years. This is his last chance to make the bucks. He's not crying the "Spreewell Cry". I think his requests are fair and in line with the market.

Has there been any semi-concrete info indicating how much loot he's looking for?

I love how tough talk like this from the WS gets everyone starts speculating about its meaning. My guess is the Sox are sending another message. The time you have to worry about a guy getting traded is when Guillen starts praising him in the press. As soon as the big compliments start coming from Ozzie, that guy better watch his back. It sounds like the negotiations with Contreras are still going to me, no matter how Hahn is spinning it in the press.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 11:54 AM)
Out of curiousity how much money do you think it would take for you to support your entire family for the rest of their lives? 

If I decided that I was going to sit on my ass and not work another day the rest of my life once I hit the age of 40? I dont know, but $1-2 million properly invested should be more than enough. A lot is going to depend on what kind of lifestyle he's become accustomed to.

I dont dispute that he wants to rake in the bucks now seeing as how he's going to be old and busted once this next contract is up, but the whole sense of urgency that some of us attach to his contract situation gets on my nerves. It's his last chance to live a life of privileged leisure that probably no one on this board will ever get to experience even for a day, excuse me while I shed a tear for Jose.

Edited by Adam G