God damnit! the F***er is still alive

Balta1701

Another one...

"We are a nation that will not stab people in the back. We would like to rebuild Iraq and Afghanistan. There is nothing wrong in this approach. We are aware that the warmongers are against this option," the voice said.

More like he wants to rebuild Al Qaida.

I love CNN:

Also not mentioned in the broadcast portions of the tape was the CIA strike on a home in Damadola, Pakistan, last Friday. The CIA had targeted senior al Qaeda members, who were expected to attend a dinner, and it is not clear if any were among the 18 people who were killed.

Not clear? Not clear? How about linking to the article that says Pakistan is reporting: "Strike may have killed Al Qaeda expert."

CNN

U.S. Raid Killed Qaeda Leaders, Pakistanis Say

PESHAWAR, Pakistan, Jan. 18 - Two senior members of Al Qaeda and the son-in-law of its No. 2 leader, Ayman al-Zawahiri, were among those killed in the American airstrikes in remote northeastern Pakistan last week, two Pakistani officials said here on Wednesday.

This is big news. This was basically a terrorist "Summit" and we nailed 'em. It's on page 32 in the Sun Times today. :headshake

Also,

On the right of the Al Qaeda strike are links "Related"

It links to the Bin Laden story.

But, on the right of the Bin Laden story the "strike" story apparnetly isn't related enough to be there. :huh

If this turns out to be Bin Laden (sounds like the quality isn't the best so they aren't quite positive it is him yet) it is really interesting that it has taken him 13 months to release just a crappy audio broadcast of his message. He hasn't been able to stand on video for almost 2 years now, so I wonder what that means exactly. Is the guy that afraid of getting caught that he can't even rally the troops anymore? Is he that isolated that he doesn't have the ability to get the equiptment and/or the means to safely get a tape to someone important for broadcasting?

QUOTE(mreye @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 09:39 AM)
I love CNN:

Not clear? Not clear? How about linking to the article that says Pakistan is reporting: "Strike may have killed Al Qaeda expert."

Not clear = Strike "May" have, and source only being random people within Pakistan.

It'd clearly be a good thing if we got the guys we reportedly got, but thus far the only sources I've seen say that they only have unnamed Pakistanis as sources. At some point, you can't say things are certain until you have someone willing to put their name and credibility on the line about the report.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 09:50 AM)
If this turns out to be Bin Laden (sounds like the quality isn't the best so they aren't quite positive it is him yet) it is really interesting that it has taken him 13 months to release just a crappy audio broadcast of his message.  He hasn't been able to stand on video for almost 2 years now, so I wonder what that means exactly.  Is the guy that afraid of getting caught that he can't even rally the troops anymore?  Is he that isolated that he doesn't have the ability to get the equiptment and/or the means to safely get a tape to someone important for broadcasting?

My guess is that the best explanation is that he's significantly changed his appearance in a way to try to avoid being seen by the U.S. (Shave and a haircut?).

A year or two ago I would have believed more that the reason he's not showing up on video is that his health is a concern and he doesn't look as strong as he did in late 01, but it's been about 3 years since we last saw a ton of videos of him, and if his health was a genuine concern, I just can't see him still being alive. Not constantly on the run, unable to visit a trained western doctor, in remote areas of Pakistan.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 12:54 PM)
Not clear = Strike "May" have, and source only being random people within Pakistan.

It'd clearly be a good thing if we got the guys we reportedly got, but thus far the only sources I've seen say that they only have unnamed Pakistanis as sources.  At some point, you can't say things are certain until you have someone willing to put their name and credibility on the line about the report.

So who are the sources saying that Bin Laden is still alive? Some poor quality audio tape and some unnamed Al Qaeda sources? It's the samething I would say.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 12:57 PM)
My guess is that the best explanation is that he's significantly changed his appearance in a way to try to avoid being seen by the U.S. (Shave and a haircut?). 

A year or two ago I would have believed more that the reason he's not showing up on video is that his health is a concern and he doesn't look as strong as he did in late 01, but it's been about 3 years since we last saw a ton of videos of him, and if his health was a genuine concern, I just can't see him still being alive.  Not constantly on the run, unable to visit a trained western doctor, in remote areas of Pakistan.

Good thought. I just wonder why he hasn't taunted us with repeated audio tapes then? Heck there would be nothing bigger to rally his guys than say a weekly audio tape sticking it to the USs inability to stop Osama. It just makes me wonder as it has to be the most effective propaganda tool that the guy has at his disposal.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 11:54 AM)

It'd clearly be a good thing if we got the guys we reportedly got, but thus far the only sources I've seen say that they only have unnamed Pakistanis as sources.  At some point, you can't say things are certain until you have someone willing to put their name and credibility on the line about the report.

I don't want certain. I just want it to be included in the article or at least the "related" links.

i just find it funny that, regardless whether he is or is not alive, we have no conclusive evidence either way.

this war was started oh... 4 f***ing years ago and umm well, he's still not dead. how sad is it if the United States of America cant kill one man?

and if i recall correctly, killing Osama was the number one priority in the war on terror. number one priority huh?

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 02:58 PM)
i just find it funny that, regardless whether he is or is not alive, we have no conclusive evidence either way.

this war was started oh... 4 f***ing years ago and umm well, he's still not dead.  how sad is it if the United States of America cant kill one man?

and if i recall correctly, killing Osama was the number one priority in the war on terror.  number one priority huh?

The CIA confirmed the voice on the tape was Bin Laden.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 12:17 PM)
I would call that conclusive evidence that he is alive :bang

(Just playing devil's advocate since I think he's clearly alive) Didn't the CIA also conclude that Saddam had 3 body doubles and hadn't appeared on TV since the mid 90's? Hell, didn't at least some parts of the CIA think that Iraq had WMD and Ahmed Chalabi wasn't a lying SOB?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 03:17 PM)
I would call that conclusive evidence that he is alive :bang

lol ok great, we have conclusive evidence that he is, in fact, alive.

then if you look to the second part of my original post you'll see my reaction to that news.