Guillen to become U.S. citizen

Pierzynski 12

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 11:39 AM)
In the eyes of the US government, you can't be a dual citizen.  Venezuela, on the other hand, may not mind.

Did you mean to say you CAN be a dual citizen...? :huh

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

The U.S. Government recognizes that dual nationality exists but does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 12:16 PM)
Not sure about the culture, but is this something that would upset Venenzuela?

I doubt it. He's been planning on this publicly for a while, so I'm sure we would've heard if they have a problem by now. I think they'd be more upset that you spelled their name wrong.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 12:52 PM)
Did you mean to say you CAN be a dual citizen...?  :huh

The U.S. Government recognizes that dual nationality exists but does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause.

As Steff points out, you can indeed have dual citizenship. I know people who have citizenship in the US and Ireland, for example. I even know one who is US and Australian citizenship.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 01:45 PM)
I doubt it.  He's been planning on this publicly for a while, so I'm sure we would've heard if they have a problem by now.  I think they'd be more upset that you spelled their name wrong.

So I guess they are all upset.

At some point you have to become a US citizen if you want to stay and work here.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 01:39 PM)
In the eyes of the US government, you can't be a dual citizen.  Venezuela, on the other hand, may not mind.

yes, you can be a dual citizen in the eyes of the US government. i know several dual citizens. where did you hear this?

Generally, you are expected to renounce other citizenships when taking your U.S. Citizenship. However, some nationalities do not allow that option. My father for example was unable to renounce his French citizenship, because he was too old at the time. France gives you a short window of time in which to do it.

I can also get French or German citizenship myself being a direct descendant of immigrants from each country and can do so without losing my U.S. citizenship.

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 03:04 PM)
The Score just said that the Sox gave Ozzie a present today - the US flag that flew over the Cell during the World Series.

I must say that the Sox have gone from a weekly PR disaster to consistently doing the right thing. We are becoming the classiest organization in the MLB.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 03:22 PM)
I must say that the Sox have gone from a weekly PR disaster to consistently doing the right thing. We are becoming the classiest organization in the MLB.

I love hearing about this organization becoming one of the classiest around.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 11:54 AM)
Generally, you are expected to renounce other citizenships when taking your U.S. Citizenship.

I was just wondering if how that would work the other way around? If you are already a US citizen and want to also get citizenship with another nation, would that be possible? I would assume it would that automatically void US citizenship correct?

SFF

QUOTE(SpringfieldFan @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 11:13 AM)
I was just wondering if how that would work the other way around?  If you are already a US citizen and want to also get citizenship with another nation, would that be possible?  I would assume it would that automatically void US citizenship correct?

SFF

No.