Dodgers, Blue Jays interested in B. Molina

Balta1701

LAT

Bengie Molina's price tag has dropped so far that the Dodgers are interested in signing him for one year, multiple sources said Wednesday.

General Manager Ned Colletti has spoken twice to Alan Nero, the agent for the former Angel Gold Glove catcher, and could make an offer this weekend.

The Blue Jays have reportedly offered Molina $4 million for one year, and the New York Yankees also might be interested.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 05:56 AM)
Is there something wrong with this guy that I have never heard about?  You know, besides being slow and fat.  I don't understand how he can still be a FA.  I think he's really good.

Quite funny how he could get just a little over what Hernandez will get over the length of his 4 year deal with the Orioles.

I think Molina just got caught in a numbers game. It seemed he was headed to the Mets, but they traded for Lo-Duca instead (stoopid, since they had to give up Gaby Hernandez for it), while the Mariners signed that Japanese catcher.

Either Toronto or LA will do well at getting him for that price.

Ive always liked Bengie, definitely a good arm as stated above, and he seemed to hit well when the Angels had him in the 5th spot against us in the playoffs I believe, hes improved over the seasons.

He will go to LA, even though both teams are in need.

Now comes word that he'll sit out the year if he doesn't get the money he wants...

The Dodgers couldn't reach a deal with free agent Bengie Molina, who said he's prepared to sit out the season.

Molina is believed to want $6 million per year. "I think I have done enough to deserve something," he said. "If I don't get that type of deal, I think I'm willing to sit out and see what happens next year. I hope it doesn't come to that." It's probably just a desperate attempt to drum up more interest. Molina isn't going to make more money in 2007 if he sits out this season. He'll find a home eventually, though not at the kind of cash he desires.

Daily News

:headshake :headshake :headshake

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 03:00 PM)
I would take Molina if I was any team at this point.  Hes better than just about every catcher in the NL central, why dont they go after him?

Ha, reunite him with his other brother now. That'd be cool

Here's something to think about, though. Imagine how much fatter and slower he'd be after sitting out a whole year.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 10:56 AM)
Is there something wrong with this guy that I have never heard about?  You know, besides being slow and fat.  I don't understand how he can still be a FA.  I think he's really good.

The catching market was thin this year. No teams really seemed interested. Hell, had Bmore waited they could have signed Hernandez for a few mill less per year.

Bengie turned down a 3yr 15 deal from the Mets and its gonna cost him. He's a really clutch hitter and can shut down a running game. Don't know how well of a game he calls, but the Angels staff seemed to do good with him behind the plate (and Sciosc is a master at teaching guys how to catch and won't tolerate lousy catchers).

The Angels made a big mistake not offering him arb so they could have kept him (cause Mathis isn't ready and Jose sucks).

Dodgers make this move and it may just be the best move they made all off-season. The guys a real good player. In fact, as much as I love AJ, I'd rate Bengie just a notch above him (mainly due to his arm). Plus Bengie is the better offensive player of the two . AJ wins on sheer teammateness and how to call a game though(new word I invented).

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 11:36 AM)
Now comes word that he'll sit out the year if he doesn't get the money he wants...

:headshake  :headshake  :headshake

His agent is obviously a moron. He should have just took that deal with the Mets when they had the chance. On a sidenote, Molina >>>>>>> LoDuca and the Mets could have kept Gaby Hernandez. Freaking idiotic move that was.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 02:12 PM)
Ha, reunite him with his other brother now.  That'd be cool

Here's something to think about, though.  Imagine how much fatter and slower he'd be after sitting out a whole year.

Frankly, there arent that many catchers I would prefer over Molina. Moline batted .295 .336 with 15 hr in reduced time this year. Plus he basically shuts down the running game of the opposing team.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 03:27 PM)
Frankly, there arent that many catchers I would prefer over Molina.  Moline batted .295 .336 with 15 hr in reduced time this year.  Plus he basically shuts down the running game of the opposing team.

Yes, but he has what I call somewhat of a weight problem. I think he's great and am only pointing out that it would be funny if he were to gain even more weight.