White Sox invite 19 players to Spring Training

Pierzynski 12

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 11:00 PM)
Is it just me or is he like another Ross Gload, they strike me as similar players, frankly instead of Grieve Id like to give some of the younger guys a shot at pinch hitting.  I dont necessarily think we needed him, not like hes done anything impressive as a pinch hitter for the Cubs that comes to mind.

Um, or they are almost completely opposite of each other?

Grieve plays OF, and has never played 1B in the majors. He doesn't hit much for average, does draw a lot of walks, strikes out quite a bit, and has some raw power.

Gload plays 1B, and plays a very poor corner OF. He hits for a decent average, does not draw a ton of walks, doesn't strike out nearly as much as Grieve, and doesn't have near the power Grieve has.

And I'd personally rather have young guys getting ABs in the minors rather than having them waste away on the big league roster.

Grieve shouldn't be anywhere near a starting job. He's at best a 5th OFer, a pinch hitter off the bench. Borchard and his .225 avg and his solid defense would be a better fit IMO.

With a healthy Crede, Mackowiak will be a better option as a 4th OFer over Joe B or Grieve anyway.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 04:34 PM)
Ugh, I don't like the Sox being associated with roiders at all.

Blakely's a bit of a surprise, but I think BHAM will be happy. :)

You bet, Charlotte fans will be pleasntly surprised about Blake good person who is a good OF as well. Blakely with all the prospects in the SL this season led the league with 89 RBI, also the only SL player to hit homers from both sides of the plate in the same game last year (Blake also did it in '04 as well). Blake has a strong accurate arm and had OF assists at the plate from every OF Postion last year. And it would not surprise me a bit that Owens does not see much playing time in CF for Charlotte this season if at all.

QUOTE(BHAMBARONS @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 10:18 AM)
You bet, Charlotte fans will be pleasntly surprised about Blake good person who is a good OF as well.  Blakely with all the prospects in the SL this season led the league with 89 RBI, also the only SL player to hit homers from both sides of the plate in the same game last year (Blake also did it in '04 as well).  Blake has a strong accurate arm and had OF assists at the plate from every OF Postion last year.  And it would not surprise me a bit that Owens does not see much playing time in CF for Charlotte this season if at all.

Well, we both know that because he's a leftfielder. Others still don't.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 12:53 AM)
Grieve has shown that he can play at this level with some good years in OAK, I just hope those years were not influenced by the Giambi Products Inc.

i read canseco's book and he said if grieve was willing to take roids he would have been a stud, so i think he's clean