Developer trying to move Marlins to Charlotte

greasywheels121

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9175751

Developer trying to entice Marlins to relocate to Charlotte

CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- A real-estate lawyer and developer has formulated a plan to remake part of downtown Charlotte and lure baseball's Florida Marlins to a 38,000-seat stadium.

Developer Jerry Reese said Thursday he has invited Marlins officials to visit Charlotte and view the location where he proposes to build a ballpark. A visit is planned for February or March, he said.

Team spokesman P.J. Loyello said Thursday the team does not confirm such visits until the day before they are to happen.

Having failed repeatedly in their quest for a baseball-only stadium in South Florida, the Marlins said in November they would consider relocating once their lease for Dolphins Stadium expires after the 2007 season. Las Vegas and Portland, Ore., are among the contenders for the team.

Reese presented his plan to Mecklenburg County commissioners Wednesday and said it would be the centerpiece of a proposed $600 million to $700 million redevelopment.

"Availability of this much land in an uptown area of a major urban center is almost never possible," Reese said Thursday. "You have a unique set of opportunities."

Since the early 1990s, Charlotte has been listed as a potential site nearly every time a major-league team has discussed relocation. But it has been years since city leaders put any real effort into luring a franchise. Most believe the city is better served building a minor-league stadium for the Triple-A Charlotte Knights, who play in suburban Fort Mill, S.C.

Charlotte Mayor Pat McCrory did not return a call seeking comment Thursday on Reese's proposal, but the head of the Charlotte Regional Sports Commission, Jeff Beaver, said big-league ball is not a priority.

"My view hasn't changed," Beaver said. "We're just not ready for Major League Baseball."

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 07:35 PM)

I mean, c'mon...look at the success of the Charlotte Hornets!!! And I'm not sure how the Hartford Whal...oops I mean Carolina Hurricanes are doing, but last I checked, they weren't doin' too well attendance wise. Of course, that was a couple of years ago.

Hmm the Charlotte Marlins, I dont know if i could adjust to that, I wish people would show up and support their damn team, Ive been to a marlins forum and they yell about low attendance, when all they have to do is go to the games. The best location is easily Las Vegas, lots of people high rollers over there, I just dont get the move to Charlotte, the city isnt doing to well after Katrina I have to believe and they would have to get a stadium, it just wont happen.

I still think if the team's gonna move, it's gonna be to Portland. Las Vegas would be the biggest risk/reward scenario, but I don't think that will evantuate. The Charlotte scenario would be a longshot at this point.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 01:25 AM)
I still think if the team's gonna move, it's gonna be to Portland. Las Vegas would be the biggest risk/reward scenario, but I don't think that will evantuate. The Charlotte scenario would be a longshot at this point.

There is too much risk for the MLB to take to put the Marlns in Las Vegas. I don't really view it as a possibility.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 11:35 AM)
The Knights are in Charlotte, SC. 

This is Charlotte, NC, being discussed as the potential new home for the Marlins.

I hope that that was meant to be in green.

There is no Charlotte, South Carolina.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 11:50 AM)
I hope that that was meant to be in green.

There is no Charlotte, South Carolina.

Well the Knights are in SC.

Knights Stadium is a 10,002 seat facility located 12 miles south of Charlotte's Center City and minutes north of Rock Hill. Below you will find directions from points in our area. If you are using an internet mapping source for customized directions from your house, our address is 2280 Deerfield Drive - Fort Mill, SC 29715

Charlotte, NC is just barely north of the border.

Fort Mill, SC is just barely south of the border

The "Charlotte Knights" does refer to the NC charlotte, even thought they are in SC.

Edit: a simple mapquest can prolly make that less confusing... so for those that are "visual people" (like me), here ya go

(unfortunately, you have to zoom out a little to see what im talking about)

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searc...=&zipcode=29715

Edited by Spiegle

QUOTE(rudylaw @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 08:20 AM)
Does anyone have any idea how the Knights draw in Char.

I know it is the minors but it could be a good indicator.

Not very well, but on weekends they get decent crowds. IIRC from the times I've been there, they do rank in the bottom portion of IL league attendance. The stadium they have is kind of cool, but also pretty old (at least it seems old).

Its over by where the Charlotte Hornets used to practice and by some amusement park (Great America or something).

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 08:35 AM)
The Knights are in Charlotte, SC. 

This is Charlotte, NC, being discussed as the potential new home for the Marlins.

The Knights technically play in like Fort Mills which is right on the border and considered South Carolina, but its only like 10 minutes from downtown Charlotte (15 max).