Willie Harris

TLAK

From Rotoworld:

Willie Harris - 2B - Red Sox   

Red Sox signed infielder-outfielder Willie Harris to a minor league contract.

He'll earn $650,000 if he makes the team and it's likely that he will. He should top the depth chart in center field right away, although the Sox won't want to enter the season with him as anything more than a backup. Limited to 150-200 at-bats in a utility role, he could be sort of useful. He's 49-for-61 in steal attempts in his career, and his OBPs of .343 and .333 the last two years aren't so terrible. Jan. 19 - 7:47 pm et

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 06:56 PM)
Wow,

I never saw that one coming, Harris playing CF for the Sawks in place of Damon.

When Jerry M played him fairly often in 2003 I thought he got better as he went along. The kid can really run out there, which makes up for a lot of bad jumps. But he had a tendency to make a great play to get to a ball and then not catch the damn thing. The last few years he regressed in CF, but he showed enough flashes to be worth an invite, I'd like to see how he looks after a month straight of OF. A guy who can run like that can help any team.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 05:57 PM)
good move if he is a minor leaguer/part time reserve.  Willie Harris is not a starting major leaguer.

When you have Manny and Ortiz on your team...you can probably manage to get by with a few people who don't deserve starting roles on a major league team, and it probably won't hurt you too much.

Good signing if he's a backup. Ironically, he's going to a team that has a SS in Alex Cora, when Harris didn't want to play that position. :bang

But if he's playing everyday in CF, not a good option. I wouldn't mind him leading off playing at second baseman, if he have that OBP up to .340 - .350.

QUOTE(Whitewashed in '05 @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 10:21 PM)
I don't get it... He left because he wanted to start. He's getting pretty much the same role with them as he would have gotten with us.

He left because the White Sox non-tendered him

I also don't view Harris as an easy out...I actually view it as a great low-risk, high-reward signing by the Red Sox. He has shown flashes of being a very solid player at times, such as posting a .343 OB in 04 starting most of the time, including a .360 OB against RHP that year.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Harris starting for Boston in CF. His arm isn't much, and he doesn't get very good reads on balls...and I think I'd still prefer him defensively in CF over Damon.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 01:36 AM)
I hope Willie does well.  I think there's a lot of talent there itchin to come out.

From following the team closely during Harris' time here, I think if he would work at being damn good instead of thinking he's damn good, he could be damn good.