Willie Harris

TLAK

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 05:57 PM)
well considering he signed a deal that didnt even guarantee him a spot on the major league roster, i'm sure this doesn't effect him.

I didn't know if he was going for a starting CF position or not so that's where I was coming from.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 06:02 PM)
I didn't know if he was going for a starting CF position or not so that's where I was coming from.

the rockies weren't willing to give him the 650k that he was asking for, and were reluctant to guarantee him anything more than 400k.

the red sox guaranteed him nothing, but gave him the 650k so long as he comes out in spring training and claims that 25th roster spot.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 06:56 PM)
how is this clown an admin?  an absolute embarrassment to soxtalk this guy is.  show some class for a change.

Dude, the way you talk to people around here, like an arrogant know it all, has made it easy for others to make you a target. You've dug your own grave.

As far as me being an embarassment to Soxtalk, let me remind you that I've been here since the second day the site opened and am one of the most likable posters on the board. Mostly anyone, besides maybe you and a few others boobs who have since been banned, would vouch for that.

Perhaps when you gain a little knowledge as to how you should treat and talk to others, you will be better liked around here. Of course, you probably don't care about that, judging by the way you have chosen to exist around here up to this point.

Good riddance.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 06:08 PM)
Thanks Yoda.

Anyway, I will ask you in a more kind way then Boz did.

What have the Red Sox done to make themselves that much better than last year?

-You upgraded at 2b, but it really solved nothing seeing as you dont have a SS now.

-Adam Stern is listed as the starting CF on the Red Sox depth chart. You yourself have said dont count on the Crisp deal being done yet, so I wont. You have Adam Stern as your CF

-The Red Sox pitchers arent just going to get better. Its not like Schilling-Wakefield-Wells are going to mature and get better. They are a combined 123, and they make up most of your rotation(Beckett-Schilling-Wakefield-Clement-Wells/Arryo?) Timlan was also the Red Sox savior for most of the season in that pen, and he will be 39 this season.

-Toronto got alot better this season, Baltimore as well(thats not saying much) and Tampa always gives the AL East fits.

So how do you call this off-season a successful one? (You have said its been successful in the last two weeks)

the red sox bullpen has improved greatly - one major problem with last years team was the lack of depth in that bullpen, that will hardly be a problem this season.

wakefield is as consistent as they come, schilling is slated to be healthy, and wells was an above average pitcher last year. i happen to believe that clement will be improved, beckett will be a top of the line starter, and papelbon and arroyo can be moved to the bullpen.

something thats interesting to note is that if this crisp deal is completed, the red sox are no longer forced to trade david wells for a position of need. they have only explored trading him to the phillies and padres and dodgers, all for needs. if the crisp deal is completed, he can be traded for the most talent.

in an ideal world, wells would be traded for prospects, possibly a platoon parter in right for nixon, and the rotation would be Schill-Beckett-Wakefield-Clement-Papelbon which i think is a very solid rotation, far better than any other team in the al east's rotations.

as for the line-up, with or without crisp, its one of the better line-ups in baseball:

loretta 2b

youkilis 1b

ramirez lf

ortiz dh

lowell 3b

varitek c

nixon/marte rf

harris cf

cora/gonzalez ss

or

loretta 2b

crisp cf

ramirez lf

ortiz dh

lowell 3b

varitek c

nixon rf

youkilis 1b

gonzalez ss

the bench is solid aswell. im glad we can atleast have some intelligent conversation, i like the direction the red sox are heading, theres no need to bash me for holding that opinion.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 06:16 PM)
Dude, the way you talk to people around here, like an arrogant know it all, has made it easy for others to make you a target.  You've dug your own grave.

As far as me being an embarassment to Soxtalk, let me remind you that I've been here since the second day the site opened and am one of the most likable posters on the board.  Mostly anyone, besides maybe you and a few others boobs who have since been banned, would vouch for that.

Perhaps when you gain a little knowledge as to how you should treat and talk to others, you will be better liked around here.  Of course, you probably don't care about that, judging by the way you have choosen to exist around here up to this point.

Good riddance.

i get along with everybody i want to get along with.

i happen to think you offer nothing of value to this board, and dont care to get along with someone whose as arrogant, selfish, and unfriendly as you are.

please, im begging you, for once just offer something to the thread rather than being this power hungry admin.

you want to ask my opinion of willie harris? im fine with that. you on the other hand dont seem to have any interest in arguing anything, and are much more bias towards your white sox than i am towards my red sox.

no good riddance, no best of wishes or anything inbetween. if you want to talk sports, im more than willing. if you want to be an asshole, ill tell you how i feel right back.

How about this: I don't give a flying f*** about the Red Sox. If I wanted to hear someone praise every single move they made, I'd listen to Peter Gammons. Willie Harris is a AAAA player, and unless you consider being able to hit 15 hop grounders to the 2nd baseman as a skill, I don't consider him very talented. I love what he did in the 8th inning of Game 4 of the World Series. I'll always like him because of that. For the rest of his Sox career, he was a pretty big disappointment.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 06:26 PM)
please, im begging you, for once just offer something to the thread rather than being this power hungry admin.

You are kidding, right? Power hungry admin? :lolhitting Sorry dude, As someone that knows, Abo is as opposite that description as you can get. He has been a big part of the site growing from less than 10 posters to the current levels. He has contributed a ton.

Lighten up.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 06:38 PM)
You are kidding, right? Power hungry admin?  :lolhitting Sorry dude, As someone that knows, Abo is as opposite that description as you can get. He has been a big part of the site growing from less than 10 posters to the current levels. He has contributed a ton.

Lighten up.

i have broken the soxtalk rules one time, yet i have been banned twice. theres something wrong with this picture.

im perfectly calm, perfectly lightened up, i just would rather discuss baseball than my posting preferences.

:)

QUOTE(fathom @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 06:36 PM)
How about this:  I don't give a flying f*** about the Red Sox.  If I wanted to hear someone praise every single move they made, I'd listen to Peter Gammons.  Willie Harris is a AAAA player, and unless you consider being able to hit 15 hop grounders to the 2nd baseman as a skill, I don't consider him very talented.  I love what he did in the 8th inning of Game 4 of the World Series.  I'll always like him because of that.  For the rest of his Sox career, he was a pretty big disappointment.

tony asked for my opinion, i gave him a brief explanation. your entitled to read whatever you would like, just avoid this thread next time.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 12:42 AM)
tony asked for my opinion, i gave him a brief explanation. your entitled to read whatever you would like, just avoid this thread next time.

Fair enough. I was just trying to sum up why some people are annoyed with your postings on here. However, everyone's entitled to their own opinion. I know the best thing that happened to me on this site was when some people voiced their displeasures with my posting style. It taught me to lighten up a bit, and to realize that, for the most part, we're all WHITE Sox fans on this site.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 06:45 PM)
Fair enough.  I was just trying to sum up why some people are annoyed with your postings on here.  However, everyone's entitled to their own opinion.  I know the best thing that happened to me on this site was when some people voiced their displeasures with my posting style.  It taught me to lighten up a bit, and to realize that, for the most part, we're all WHITE Sox fans on this site.

people are annoyed with how i post because i've liked the majority of moves/nonmoves the red sox have made this offseason (minus the seanez signing).

if the red sox throw the house at coco crisp, i'll fault the fact that jeremy reed could have been had cheaper, or that dave roberts could have been a stop gap for a year or two while ellsbury grew but i'll still be ridiculed for being bias towards every move the red sox make.

oh well, i dont mind.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 06:41 PM)
i have broken the soxtalk rules one time, yet i have been banned twice.  theres something wrong with this picture.

im perfectly calm, perfectly lightened up, i just would rather discuss baseball than my posting preferences.

Just offering some insight on the guy you think is an embarassment.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 06:50 PM)
Just offering some insight on the guy you think is an embarassment.

its hard to see the good things he does when all i see is him bashing me for happening to like the johnny damon signing, or this willie harris invite to spring training.

your opinion however is valued, and will be taken into considering. thanks.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 12:50 AM)
people are annoyed with how i post because i've liked the majority of moves/nonmoves the red sox have made this offseason (minus the seanez signing). 

if the red sox throw the house at coco crisp, i'll fault the fact that jeremy reed could have been had cheaper, or that dave roberts could have been a stop gap for a year or two while ellsbury grew but i'll still be ridiculed for being bias towards every move the red sox make.

A few quick thoughts:

- Coco Crisp is a very good player, and he'll help the Red Sox a lot more than people think.

- Seanez will be a big contributor for the Red Sox because he's mostly pitched in the NL during his career. He can strikeout a ton of guys, and since most haven't seen his pitches yet, he'll be pretty effective (of course, his chances of staying healthy rival that of Kerry Wood).

- MLB scouts think that the Red Sox might be one of the teams most effected by the crackdown on greenies.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 06:55 PM)
Maybe if you didnt talk about the redsox more often than you do the whitesox people wouldnt get annoyed so much..... incase you havent noticed this is a whitesox board afterall.

Oh and im sorry the only bigger homer for his team on this board besides you is WSJ.

stop derailing threads. get this back on topic.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 06:54 PM)
A few quick thoughts:

- Coco Crisp is a very good player, and he'll help the Red Sox a lot more than people think.

- Seanez will be a big contributor for the Red Sox because he's mostly pitched in the NL during his career.  He can strikeout a ton of guys, and since most haven't seen his pitches yet, he'll be pretty effective (of course, his chances of staying healthy rival that of Kerry Wood).

- MLB scouts think that the Red Sox might be one of the teams most effected by the crackdown on greenies.

seanez has been in pretty much every major league locker room in his career, and was a red sox two years ago. he was effected majorly by pitching in a pitchers park, he'll be the john halama of next season (gone by july).

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 12:57 AM)
seanez has been in pretty much every major league locker room in his career, and was a red sox two years ago.  he was effected majorly by pitching in a pitchers park, he'll be the john halama of next season (gone by july).

But his best years have been with the Braves and the Padres, from what I can recall. His stuff really rebounded last season, and he had some of the best stuff I saw from a reliever all season (slightly behind Kevin Walker).

so you think we have seen the best of willie harris?  many people believe that he hasn't came close to reaching his potential, me included, and as yasny rightfully said, the guy is a very talented player, its because he knows that which hinders him...

He's a mediocre player who refused to learn how to play SS in Winterball, which would have kept him on the White Sox. So all he can play is 2B and he stinks in CF. Yeah, I'm so sad to see him go.

as for the line-up, with or without crisp, its one of the better line-ups in baseball:

loretta 2b

youkilis 1b

ramirez lf

ortiz dh

lowell 3b

varitek c

nixon/marte rf

harris cf

cora/gonzalez ss

or

loretta 2b

crisp cf

ramirez lf

ortiz dh

lowell 3b

varitek c

nixon rf

youkilis 1b

gonzalez ss

ROFL, there's no way a lineup with Willie freaking Harris and Alex Cora or Alex Gonzalez being possible starters is "one of the better line-ups in baseball." Youkilis isn't a proven major league hitter yet and has no power at a power position. Are you Peter Gammons in disguise or something?

Edited by SSH2005

Willie is a better player than most everyone on this board gives him credit for. Considering whats out there and what the BoSox have right now, this is a nice move. I don't think they've had a very solid off-season, but they've made some interesting moves that could pay off.

Harris at just over 400K is a steal, imo. Give the guy consistent playing time down in the lineup and he'll put up pretty solid numbers, steal some bases, have a solid OBP, all while playing above average defense (he's lightyears better than Guch at 2nd; I'm speaking defensively).

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 05:49 AM)
He's a mediocre player who refused to learn how to play SS in Winterball, which would have kept him on the White Sox.  So all he can play is 2B and he stinks in CF.  Yeah, I'm so sad to see him go.

ROFL, there's no way a lineup with Willie freaking Harris and Alex Cora or Alex Gonzalez being possible starters is "one of the better line-ups in baseball."  Youkilis isn't a proven major league hitter yet and has no power at a power position.  Are you Peter Gammons in disguise or something?

Sure it is, cause it has Manny and Ortiz two of the 5 best run producers in the game (with Manny being the best of all time, imo). Plus Lowell, Trot Nixon and Coco Crisp. They got a solid lineup. If Lowell pans out it gets better.

Sure it is, cause it has Manny and Ortiz two of the 5 best run producers in the game (with Manny being the best of all time, imo).  Plus Lowell, Trot Nixon and Coco Crisp.  They got a solid lineup.  If Lowell pans out it gets better.

But their lineup isn't better than last year's like some people seem to think.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 12:19 PM)
But their lineup isn't better than last year's like some people seem to think.

I never said it was better than last years. I happen to think Edgar Renteria and Gullermo Mota for Coco Crisp (essentially that is the deal they made) is a freaking ridiculously horrid deal. Renteria didn't have a great year last year, but he's still one of the better shortstops in the game (both offensively and defensively). That said they cut payroll in that move (despite the fact they had to send cash to Atlanta).

But the lineup is still one of the best, if not the best in the AL (and majors).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 03:18 PM)
Sure it is, cause it has Manny and Ortiz two of the 5 best run producers in the game (with Manny being the best of all time, imo).  Plus Lowell, Trot Nixon and Coco Crisp.  They got a solid lineup.  If Lowell pans out it gets better.

Now all the BoSox need is a healthy quality starting pitching staff and they will win another championship.