Disgruntled Dems Consider Challenge to Lieberman

southsideirish71

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 07:07 AM)
Good I say.  Hopefully he and John McCain breakaway and establish some kind of honest to goodness moderate party.

While I like both guys, and of plausable scenarios, that would be a great ticket, I think their time has passed. McCain should have been elected in 2000, but an effective Bush strategy kept him out. I think we need more of a Reagan get tough and kick ass around the world guy. These guys are too soft.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 12:23 PM)
While I like both guys, and of plausable scenarios, that would be a great ticket, I think their time has passed. McCain should have been elected in 2000, but an effective Bush strategy kept him out. I think we need more of a Reagan get tough and kick ass around the world guy. These guys are too soft.

I really wish we could get a candidate from EITHER party that would take a hard line against terrorism, look at the REAL effects of tax cuts, be a fiscal conservative, and steer the government OUT of our day-to-day lives. Where is that type of candidate likely to emerge from?

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 07:33 AM)
I really wish we could get a candidate from EITHER party that would take a hard line against terrorism, look at the REAL effects of tax cuts, be a fiscal conservative, and steer the government OUT of our day-to-day lives.  Where is that type of candidate likely to emerge from?

Not from either party. They all want to cut our taxes and give us free stuff. They want to trample on the constitution.

They will also attract enemies as fast as they attract supporters. They would probably be very confrontational.

I can think of a couple politicians that could pull it off. Some better than others.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 02:56 AM)
Okay. I see where you are coming from now.  But isn't that what you'd call smart politics on the part of the GOP?

Sure, but then so would the idea of finding a new Democrat to represent CT in the Senate who wouldn't consider such a move.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 09:00 AM)
Sure, but then so would the idea of finding a new Democrat to represent CT in the Senate who wouldn't consider such a move.

Now why would that be smart politics on the part of the GOP?

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 11:54 AM)
Oh come on now, leave Lieberman alone, he's a good guy. haha this won't happen but wouldn't it be crazy if Lieberman was the Democratic nominee and McCain was the Republican nominee.

Then we might have an election that was based on issues instead of personalities.

Wait! What am I saying?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 01:47 PM)
Not from either party. They all want to cut our taxes and give us free stuff. They want to trample on the constitution.

They will also attract enemies as fast as they attract supporters. They would probably be very confrontational.

I can think of a couple politicians that could pull it off. Some better than others.

I forgot. You're right. :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 12:51 PM)
Now why would that be smart politics on the part of the GOP?

Because, for the most part, it's not party line that people vote for in Congressional elections, it's the incumbent.

Once you seat someone in a post, it's very difficult to unseat someone in the following election.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 01:24 PM)
Because, for the most part, it's not party line that people vote for in Congressional elections, it's the incumbent.

Once you seat someone in a post, it's very difficult to unseat someone in the following election.

And given how important seniority can be towards getting plum assignments on committees in the House and Senate, and how important those committee assignments and chairmanships can be for bringing home federal dollars to your state...there's actually a real major disincentive to replace someone who's served more than 1 term.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 03:24 PM)

It seems to me that you are making my case that it's smart politics. Of course, 'politics' being the key word. If it's not party lines, but unseating an incumbent that is so difficult, then wouldn't the appointee then be the incumbent and therefore more difficult to unseat? Then Balta reinforces by pointing out the 'disincentive to replace'.

But if it's smart politics to draw someone out of the Senate and increase a majority for the Republicans, it's also smart politics to try to get that person out of the Senate and replaced with someone who wouldn't consider leaving the reservation, so to speak, and head off to a Presidential cabinet.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 07:13 AM)
But if it's smart politics to draw someone out of the Senate and increase a majority for the Republicans, it's also smart politics to try to get that person out of the Senate and replaced with someone who wouldn't consider leaving the reservation, so to speak, and head off to a Presidential cabinet.

I won't argue that point at all. That's up to voters of CT. Circle complete.