Cuba Allowed Back in WBC

DukeNukeEm

I might be the only one who feels this way, but I have no interest in this tournament. Not because of the White Sox players, but I've never thought the idea of All-Stars getting together to play a team sport, especially prefessional players worked in a tournament setting. Teams take awhile to actually mold into teams, plus a group of professional players making millions to play for America in an american manufacuted tournament would seem dull to the average major leaguer. Anyways, isn't this what the olympics are for? and since the olympic baseball was cancelled isn't that a pretty good sign that people are not interested in baseball tournments like this? I guess the foregin players want this, but who cares about foreign teams that can barely field an entire team. Maybe this is just a MLB manufactured event to better scout the Cuban players against MLB talent.

Edited by Irishsox1

I know the decision to allow Cuba to participate was made by Uncle Sam,

but I wonder if Uncle Bud--seeing more and more players opting out of the WBC--did some lobbying (the favorite US sport) and got this done to infuse some interest in what was quickly becoming a bust.

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 03:26 PM)
didn't want to start a new thread with this but I thought it was funny.....looks like C Lee is back on the team....

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...ent=mlbclub#cws

umm hello?

that's like carlos II or III its el caballo's brother

he's been in our minor league system for a few years

IRC Cuba is not permitting any defectors on their team, in their eyes, they are traitors so no Count or El Duque. If Fidel sends his Olympic team, who have won 3 of the 4 gold medals, it will be interesting to see how they compete against the MLB'ers who are just starting to play exhibition games to get in shape. I also wonder if the WBC will enforce it's pitch count and innings of play rules on them. Finally, I'm going to keep an eye on how he is going to stop his players from escaping his brutal dictatorship when they are in Puerto Rico or San Diego.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 22, 2006 -> 02:52 PM)
Cuba is going to get wasted anyways by either the Dominican or the US.... all the other countries are just in the way.

I would be careful about what I say about Cuba. The last time they played a major league club was 1999 when they outplayed the Orioles in splitting two games. It took 11 innings for Baltimore to win the first game (Contreras threw 8 shutout innings for Cuba that game). The second game saw the Cubans come to Baltimore and hang a 12-6 win on the O's, and the game wasn't even that close. I know its just Baltimore, even back then, but still...

http://www.latinosportslegends.com/CubavsOrioles2.htm

http://www.latinosportslegends.com/USvsCuba.htm

SFF

Edited by SpringfieldFan