Further proof you can find ANYTHING online....

juddling

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 08:30 PM)
Meh. I've seen deer much worse in person.

Yeah, we used to travel to the border of Wisconsin/Michigan(UP) to go fishing every year, and that was pretty common. Truck drivers are instructed to not slow down and swerve if a deer gets in their way, and those things just get obliterated. And then the rest of the traffic mows over it, and by the end of the day you have an unrecognizable lump of muscle and fur.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 09:38 PM)
Yeah, we used to travel to the border of Wisconsin/Michigan(UP) to go fishing every year, and that was pretty common.  Truck drivers are instructed to not slow down and swerve if a deer gets in their way, and those things just get obliterated.  And then the rest of the traffic mows over it, and by the end of the day you have an unrecognizable lump of muscle and fur.

Exacty. We travel up to the UP to hunt every year and on good years we have counted over 20 obliterated deer on the side of the road. 94, 43, 41.....3 bad highways going north.

BTW....what body of water? Peshtigo River? Oconto River? Menominee River? Or a lake?

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 08:55 PM)
Exacty. We travel up to the UP to hunt every year and on good years we have counted over 20 obliterated deer on the side of the road. 94, 43, 41.....3 bad highways going north.

BTW....what body of water? Peshtigo River? Oconto River? Menominee River? Or a lake?

Headwaters of the Wisconsin River, Lac Vieux Desert. Supposedly there is a world record musky in the lake, its been seen more than a few times.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 10:00 PM)
Headwaters of the Wisconsin River, Lac Vieux Desert.  Supposedly there is a world record musky in the lake, its been seen more than a few times.

Wow. Never been there but I have heard of it. We catch pike on a little creek on our hunting land. If you are ever in the mood for some sturgeon fishing, hit the Menominee River right under the bridge on 41.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 09:05 PM)
Wow. Never been there but I have heard of it. We catch pike on a little creek on our hunting land. If you are ever in the mood for some sturgeon fishing, hit the Menominee River right under the bridge on 41.

Never was a sturgeon fisherman. My stepdad had a Ranger bass/ski boat, and we pretty much would just troll the shore and see what we could come up with. Mostly bass, pike, perch, crappie, and an occasional walleye. Then we would get bored and go musky hunting, which involved whipping a really heavy lure till we got tired and went back in. I havent fished in years, unfortunately. My stepdad got out of fishing and got into riding motorcycles, so my fishing partner disappeared.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 10:12 PM)
Never was a sturgeon fisherman.  My stepdad had a Ranger bass/ski boat, and we pretty much would just troll the shore and see what we could come up with.  Mostly bass, pike, perch, crappie, and an occasional walleye.  Then we would get bored and go musky hunting, which involved whipping a really heavy lure till we got tired and went back in.  I havent fished in years, unfortunately.  My stepdad got out of fishing and got into riding motorcycles, so my fishing partner disappeared.

Thats a shame. I love the outdoors. Maybe one day we could hook up for a fishing trip. Ever fished for catfish? Trout?

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 09:20 PM)
Thats a shame. I love the outdoors. Maybe one day we could hook up for a fishing trip. Ever fished for catfish? Trout?

I love the outdoors myself, but I dont even have my fishing gear anymore. I basically have to start from scratch when I start fishing again. And I have no doubt I will start fishing again, I just dont have the time right now. I have fished for catfish a few times, but I like to move around, and catfishing is more of a waiting game. Thats why me and my stepdad loved going together, he didnt like sitting still too much either.

Never fished for trout though. Always wanted to, but never had the correct gear to get them. Also, we got all of our fishing done in about 3 weeks during the year. A Trout stamp just wasnt worth it to guys who rarely fished for trout.

In the future, a fishing trip might be cool.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 10:22 PM)
SF1, How'd deer season go? I don't remember if I asked you.

Yeah, we talked about it a bit but not in depth. Got totally skunked. Only thing I saw was the legs of a deer about 85 yards away and that is it. Almost got bowled over by a wolf though. That was the most exciting moment of the trip. Was running dead at me from the left, full speed. Less than 10 yards away, caught my silhouette, and took a 90 degree turn upwind of me. Really cool moment. How did your season go?

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 10:29 PM)
I love the outdoors myself, but I dont even have my fishing gear anymore.  I basically have to start from scratch when I start fishing again.  And I have no doubt I will start fishing again, I just dont have the time right now.  I have fished for catfish a few times, but I like to move around, and catfishing is more of a waiting game.  Thats why me and my stepdad loved going together, he didnt like sitting still too much either.   

Never fished for trout though.  Always wanted to, but never had the correct gear to get them.  Also, we got all of our fishing done in about 3 weeks during the year.  A Trout stamp just wasnt worth it to guys who rarely fished for trout. 

In the future, a fishing trip might be cool.

Wow, must stink haven't to reinvest in the equipment. One of my biggest fears is that a future career will cut into my fishing and hunting time. And if I have kids, I want to be able to pass down the outdoor life to them.

Fishing for catfish is by far my favorite. The Rock River here in Illinois is one of the best in the world. I love the 2-3 day trips, sleeping on the shore, all in the wild, watching the sunset and then the sunrise. But nothing will get your heart beating like a 50 pound flathead catfish making your rod look like a car-antenna in the wind....well, except for a 170+ class buck in your sights of course. Biggest catfish of last year was 52 for me. Biggest ever was 57.

As far as trout fishing, me and my dad go out every year near LaCrosse in Wisconsin. The creeks and tributaries there are breathtaking. Big rolling hills and the sun rising over them....it's truly wonderful. Can't wait for May to roll around for the trout opener. We usually go for the opener in May, 4th of July, and the closing in September. And then a few times inbetween.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 12:06 AM)
I missed a 9 point buck from 15 yards (yea, I was shaking, and it was running, but I have no excuse....I can hit a bullseye from 50 but not a deer at 15.

Didn't see s*** the rest of the weekend. I also got very wet, as it snowed HARD.

Thats messed up. I think I'd rather not see anything instead of miss a buck.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 12:11 AM)
My uncle did get it though. So over the last 4 years...

1st year: nada, no shot

2nd year: doe, one shot, heart, 15 yds

3rd year: 8 pt buck, one shot, heart, second shot, back right leg on the run, 25 yds.

4th year: nada, one shot, miss

An 8 pointer and a doe in 4 years is not bad at all. Do you hunt archery and rifle?

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 10:27 PM)
An 8 pointer and a doe in 4 years is not bad at all. Do you hunt archery and rifle?

No, just a 20. The first year I actually hunted from a turkey tent with my dad. I was a little gunshy and probably could've had a doe, but I was over anxious. My second year was my first in stand, by myself. It's beyyyyyond weird sitting in a tree at 6 in the morning. Plus, it's pitch black, plus you can't have a flashlight on, plus it's damn cold. I got my doe at 11:30 on the second morning, as it walked in front of me at about 15 yards. About 3 minutes later, a buck walked right where the doe had been when I shot it....a 4 pt but missing it's left side. I saw the doe drop within 100 yards. That was also the first time I'd field dressed a deer. My uncle walked me thru it. I did get a hole in my gloves, but I was thankful to be warm. Took me a while, but I got it gutted and all.

The second year, I saw nothing I could shoot thru 1.5 days. The final afternoon, my uncle moved me to my brother's stand, about 150 yards from my house. They said they'd ring a bell they had if a deer was coming from behind me. Sure enough, they rang it about 4:00 PM and that 8 pointer came up from my left. I pulled up real slow like as it headed toward me. I lined up on the front left leg and just followed it as it started to walk by me. At about 25 yards, I had a nice shot at the side, so I lined up and shot. My uncle and dad always told me to shoot it again, just to make sure. I clipped it's back leg as it was running. I thought I was gonna have to chase it, but it couldn't make it up a hill to my right, and it stumbled and fell back into a dry creek bed. My dad and uncle said they were falling over each other to get to the bell, and they said it was just awesome to watch me do it. Even said I did it all right. We got down there, and pulled the deer out with a winch and an atv. I then field dressed it and took it up to hang.

This past year was the most uncomfortable by far. Temps were between 0-15 all when we were out there. Saturday morning I missed that buck at 9 am as it snuck up on my left and surprised me. I pulled up and spooked it, and it started to run away from me. I took a premature shot, I feel, and missed it, and couldn't shoot at it again before it slipped over a hill. On Saturday night it snowed and you get quite cold when the snow ultimately goes down the back of your neck because it's blowing into your hood and into your face. This year, I was also in a double stand surrounded by camo netting. I didn't care for it at all, it felt too open. Sunday morning I was also skunked. Sunday night, I went to my uncle's stand, nicknamed the "comfy stand". It's this bad boy:

i416473vr09.jpg

That night I saw nothing, and managed to lose feeling in my right foot. When I went in it was 0 degrees, but it was cooler in the woods where I was.

Still a mighty fun time. Nothing like one of those "guy things".

My dad didn't get anything, but kept going out later that week....one morning it was -17 when he went out.

So, there's a short story about my deer hunting adventures....:D

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 02:11 AM)
No, just a 20. The first year I actually hunted from a turkey tent with my dad. I was a little gunshy and probably could've had a doe, but I was over anxious. My second year was my first in stand, by myself. It's beyyyyyond weird sitting in a tree at 6 in the morning. Plus, it's pitch black, plus you can't have a flashlight on, plus it's damn cold. I got my doe at 11:30 on the second morning, as it walked in front of me at about 15 yards. About 3 minutes later, a buck walked right where the doe had been when I shot it....a 4 pt but missing it's left side. I saw the doe drop within 100 yards. That was also the first time I'd field dressed a deer. My uncle walked me thru it. I did get a hole in my gloves, but I was thankful to be warm. Took me a while, but I got it gutted and all.

The second year, I saw nothing I could shoot thru 1.5 days. The final afternoon, my uncle moved me to my brother's stand, about 150 yards from my house. They said they'd ring a bell they had if a deer was coming from behind me. Sure enough, they rang it about 4:00 PM and that 8 pointer came up from my left. I pulled up real slow like as it headed toward me. I lined up on the front left leg and just followed it as it started to walk by me. At about 25 yards, I had a nice shot at the side, so I lined up and shot. My uncle and dad always told me to shoot it again, just to make sure. I clipped it's back leg as it was running. I thought I was gonna have to chase it, but it couldn't make it up a hill to my right, and it stumbled and fell back into a dry creek bed. My dad and uncle said they were falling over each other to get to the bell, and they said it was just awesome to watch me do it. Even said I did it all right. We got down there, and pulled the deer out with a winch and an atv. I then field dressed it and took it up to hang.

This past year was the most uncomfortable by far. Temps were between 0-15 all when we were out there. Saturday morning I missed that buck at 9 am as it snuck up on my left and surprised me. I pulled up and spooked it, and it started to run away from me. I took a premature shot, I feel, and missed it, and couldn't shoot at it again before it slipped over a hill. On Saturday night it snowed and you get quite cold when the snow ultimately goes down the back of your neck because it's blowing into your hood and into your face. This year, I was also in a double stand surrounded by camo netting. I didn't care for it at all, it felt too open. Sunday morning I was also skunked. Sunday night, I went to my uncle's stand, nicknamed the "comfy stand".  It's this bad boy:

i416473vr09.jpg

That night I saw nothing, and managed to lose feeling in my right foot. When I went in it was 0 degrees, but it was cooler in the woods where I was.

Still a mighty fun time. Nothing like one of those "guy things".

My dad didn't get anything, but kept going out later that week....one morning it was -17 when he went out.

So, there's a short story about my deer hunting adventures....:D

Quite detailed. Very well said....er, typed. :huh :lol:

My first year hunting was pretty amazing. I was so excited to be there in the stand with my dad holding a .270 and ready to shoot a monster buck. We sat in the stand we call "The Condo" for 3 days and saw nothing.

Then the 2nd year was more of the same, but I was by myself all this hunting season in the Condo and I must say, it is the most relaxing thing in the world. I used a rattle, I used a grunt call, I used a bleat call, I used scents, I used scent eliminators....I USED IT ALL and got nothing.

This year was a very awkward hunting season as it was the first season that I hunted with my dad since he and my mom seperated. If it wasn't for my godfather's brother who I love sooooo much, my season would have been a horrible waste of time. Anyway, I was hunting on this steep hill because the Condo was taken back by the original owner who used it all the time. But we all stay in the same little garage on our land so it's all cool. And we all live near eachother so the comoradory lasts all year round.

But anyways, I put out some Buck Bran, had a new grunt call, new Browning camo, complete with scent proof silk underear and a brand new pair of Itasca 2,400 gram Tinsulate boots....but once again, got skunked. I did manage to call in a wolf, like I said, which was less than 10 yards from me so that was cool. 3 years - zero deer. I have seen 1 leg. and that is it. Frickin blows.

My dad did manage to bag a doe in the Illinois shotgun season this year though.

But I do agree. Nothing like one of those "guy things."

Edited by SoxFan1

Last weekend I was running the kitchen for a Boy Scout event and we had a leg left over from a doe we processed for an Indian Lore weekend.

I wasn't prepared for vension, and had to make do with whatever provisions I could find around camp.

I carefully butchered the meat, extra lean, and soaked it in milk for a couple hours. I started to boil it for stew, skimming and changing the water every hour or so. I found some canned, sliced potatos, corn, and carrots and added them. I also found some powdered brown gravy mix and an assortment of italian seasoning.

Best damn vension stew I've had in a long time. I made enough for about 60 people and received rave reviews. Most didn't realize it was venison until we told them.