Further proof you can find ANYTHING online....

juddling

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 07:20 AM)
Last weekend I was running the kitchen for a Boy Scout event and we had a leg left over from a doe we processed for an Indian Lore weekend.

I wasn't prepared for vension, and had to make do with whatever provisions I could find around camp.

I carefully butchered the meat, extra lean, and soaked it in milk for a couple hours. I started to boil it for stew, skimming and changing the water every hour or so. I found some canned, sliced potatos, corn, and carrots and added them. I also found some powdered brown gravy mix and an assortment of italian seasoning.

Best damn vension stew I've had in a long time. I made enough for about 60 people and received rave reviews. Most didn't realize it was venison until we told them.

I think you stole the milk thing from me in a previous thread!

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 08:18 AM)
I hope nobody considers hunting a sport.

To quote Peanut Tillman..."if the other side don't know it's playing, it ain't a game!".

Well, we field dress the deer ourselves and have them processed and then eat them, if that's what you're getting at.

We also donate any deer that the hunter doesn't want to the Iowa prison system.

Since I live practically next door to Busse Woods forest preserve, I had a question about their deer cull. Is this something that any hunter can apply for? Or is it strictly managed by the park district? I seem to remember that they usually have a very high cull number because the deer are basically trapped in the forest preserve by highways on all sides, and they breed like crazy because they never go hungry(because little old ladies feed them like crazy). Just curious if anyone knows anything about this.

on a side note, I live right on Algonquin Rd in Rolling Meadows, about 100 feet from my front door to the road. Whats hanging around my front door yesterday? A friggin Coyote. And even wierder, my wife said he went to the road, and looked both ways and crossed the road when there were no cars. how crazy is that?

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 02:47 AM)
The land I hunt borders a state park in NE Iowa.

The people in the house said while I saw 0 deer Saturday morning....they saw SIXTY across a draw.

Sounds like BS to me. 60 deer?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 09:20 AM)
Last weekend I was running the kitchen for a Boy Scout event and we had a leg left over from a doe we processed for an Indian Lore weekend.

I wasn't prepared for vension, and had to make do with whatever provisions I could find around camp.

I carefully butchered the meat, extra lean, and soaked it in milk for a couple hours. I started to boil it for stew, skimming and changing the water every hour or so. I found some canned, sliced potatos, corn, and carrots and added them. I also found some powdered brown gravy mix and an assortment of italian seasoning.

Best damn vension stew I've had in a long time. I made enough for about 60 people and received rave reviews. Most didn't realize it was venison until we told them.

I loooooove venison stew. Sounds similar to the kind my mom makes. Mmmmmmm.

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 10:18 AM)

To quote Peanut Tillman..."if the other side don't know it's playing, it ain't a game!".

Hunting IS a sport. Period. There are more hunters than most other sports have total players. We get up early, climb up, wait patiently, shoot, track, clean the deer, eat the deer, or like Heads said, donate it if we don't need it. Hunting has far more aspects to it than it may seem. It is not only a sport, but an art, that requires tons of preperation and strategy. Sounds to me that somone is underknowledged about the sport of hunting. 7% of Americans hunt. Less than 1 percent play basketball, baseball, football, etc.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 01:16 PM)
Since I live practically next door to Busse Woods forest preserve, I had a question about their deer cull.  Is this something that any hunter can apply for?  Or is it strictly managed by the park district?  I seem to remember that they usually have a very high cull number because the deer are basically trapped in the forest preserve by highways on all sides, and they breed like crazy because they never go hungry(because little old ladies feed them like crazy).  Just curious if anyone knows anything about this.

on a side note, I live right on Algonquin Rd in Rolling Meadows, about 100 feet from my front door to the road.  Whats hanging around my front door yesterday?  A friggin Coyote.  And even wierder, my wife said he went to the road, and looked both ways and crossed the road when there were no cars.  how crazy is that?

I'm not sure about hunting in forest preserves but to my knowledge, it is absolutely legal to hunt in most national forests. And like you said, many forest preserves do have hunts to lower population. You can find more about this at the Illinois DNR website.

As far as the coyote thing, I hate them. They are predators in the natural process of evolution and the food chain but they absolutely abolsih deer populations when their herds get out of hand. They are making a huge comeback in Illinois. And as far as looking both ways, he must have been around those parts for a while now.

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 09:18 AM)

must you speak when such stupid things come out?

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 12:46 PM)
Sounds like BS to me. 60 deer?

The most I've seen was 40, but remember, it's opening morning, these things are gonna be all over the place.

It is known to be some of the best deer land in NE Iowa.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 07:02 PM)
The most I've seen was 40, but remember, it's opening morning, these things are gonna be all over the place.

It is known to be some of the best deer land in NE Iowa.

Holy cow. I would have had a field day with my .270. There is no tag limit for Michigan so I would have had some good backstrap in the freezer.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jan 22, 2006 -> 01:08 PM)
Holy cow. I would have had a field day with my .270. There is no tag limit for Michigan so I would have had some good backstrap in the freezer.

I didn't see anymore than 5 during the weekend, with only 3 I could have shot....the one I missed and 2 does that walked by afterI had shot, because I didn't know if I had hit the buck.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 12:46 PM)
Sounds to me that somone is underknowledged about the sport of hunting. 7% of Americans hunt. Less than 1 percent play basketball, baseball, football, etc.

Where in the world did those numbers come from? Are you only considering the people that actually get paid to play a sport?

Hunting is something a lot of people do in their spare time. Some even make a living doing it. I'm betting playing basketball (or baseball or football...) is something a LOT MORE people do in their spare time.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 08:00 PM)
Headwaters of the Wisconsin River, Lac Vieux Desert.  Supposedly there is a world record musky in the lake, its been seen more than a few times.

Clerk: Yep, `General Sherman'. They say he's five hundred pounds of

bottom-dwelling fury, don't you know. No one knows how old he is, but

if you ask me (and most people do), he's hundred years if he's a day.

Customer: And uh no one's ever caught him?

Clerk: Well, one fella came close. Went by the name of Homer. Seven feet

tall he was, with arms like tree trunks. His eyes were like steel,

cold, hard. Had a shock of hair, red like the fires of Hell. :D

must you speak when such stupid things come out?

1. I was quoting someone ELSE!

2. Please explain to me how hunting qualifies as a sport. IMO, you are "hunting" an animal that a) doesn't know it's being hunted; and B) cannot defend itself. You are using all of the benefits of modern technology, i.e. high powered scopes, scent masking agents, tree stands, etc. 200 years ago, these same animals were being hunted (for survival, NOT "sport") by men with primitive firearms, bow and arrow, etc.

Have you ever hunted? It's not like picking an animal and shooting it. I don't use a lot of that stuff, but still, I doubt I'd do it if we didn't have the deer processed or donated.

Deer hunting in Iowa and some other states is essential, unless you like deer through your windshield. The hunters here help balance out the population. If we didn't nature would help anyways.

EDIT: I see and respect what you're saying, but I still find it to be a more fufilling experience to actually be connected to what I eat. It's a little different than picking up a hamburger at McDonald's.