Brian Anderson

SoxFan1

So I made a bet with a friend today. He thinks that barring any trades, Brian Anderson will be the starting left fielder. On the contrary, I say barring any deals, Anderson will be the starting CF. We know that Ozzie, actually, everyone, doesn't want Pods in CF. Is there any chance I lose this bet?

There is not a chance in hell that Anderson is in LF with Pods in CF. Not a chance in hell.

Anderson's arm is stronger than Pods and his reads are much better than Pods...there is not nearly enough of a difference in speed to justify starting Pods in CF over Anderson...if Rowand starts in CF over Pods, there is no chance Pods starts in CF over Anderson.

Do we have any options besides Anderson? I hope he starts and is great I just wondered who is his backup.

It begs the question. is this guy going to be great this year or will he have similar or worse numbers than Jeremy Reed had his first full season in Seattle? Reed didn't hit for average and didn't knock in runs, and never got on base, other than that, he was an all-star.

My other question: Do you think Jenks will shine this year or could he be lousy?

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jan 22, 2006 -> 08:24 PM)
Do we have any options besides Anderson? I hope he starts and is great I just wondered who is his backup.

It begs the question. is this guy going to be great this year or will he have similar or worse numbers than Jeremy Reed had his first full season in Seattle? Reed didn't hit for average and didn't knock in runs, and never got on base, other than that, he was an all-star.

My other question: Do you think Jenks will shine this year or could he be lousy?

If Bobby Jenks remains healthy and listens to his catchers...he may not be the best closer in the league, but he will be a damn good one.

If you have a 99 MPH + heater and a solid curve ball to go with it, and maybe an occasional change or slider...if you can throw the pitches for strikes, and you listen to your smart catchers...it will be physically impossible for him to be a complete failure. He could do a ton of things wrong and that third digit on the speedometer would save his ass in a lot of cases.

If he does a lot of stupid things, like walking people or shaking off AJ, or his arm gives out, then he could get himself in trouble. But if he acts like a big league player , like he did last year...his arm will make it hard for anyone to beat him without a lot of luck.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jan 22, 2006 -> 10:24 PM)

I dont know why everyone is so wishy washy on Anderson. If he plays good defense he will be fine. We are replacing Rowand who didnt hit all that well last year, but played great defense. His arm is better than Rowands and he should be a bit faster. As long as he makes adjustments during the year he should be okay. With the addition of Thome and Iguchi hitting further down in the order it gives Anderson some time to learn on the job. If Anderson completely bombs out, we have a bargaining chip in Conteras that can get us the talent necessary. I think that Anderson will be fine in the field, and will hit decent this year. We are not replacing an offensive juggernaut in CF remember.

The only question with Jenks is will he continue to throw strikes. If he does that he should be fine. I would like to see him throw that curve for a strike more. His 100mph fastball dominated even when people knew it was coming. If he can throw that curve for strikes, his fastball will be more dominating.

Edited by southsideirish71

Will he be hitting in the bottom of the order? I am guessing the order will be similar to last year except for Iguichi moving to a 6 or 7 spot, and Uribe taking his old place. Since he is a rookie if he plays great defence and just produces solid hitting that should be seen as a good start, but better than that would be great obviously. The guy he is replacing didnt have a great year with the bat last year so expectations probably wont be too high.

Edited by crazyman26

QUOTE(crazyman26 @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 06:03 PM)
Will he be hitting in the bottom of the order?    I am guessing the order will be similar to last year except for Iguichi moving to a 6 or 7 spot, and Uribe taking his old place.      Since he is a rookie if he plays great defence and just produces solid hitting that should be seen as a good start, but better than that would be great obviously.   The guy he is replacing didnt have a great year with the bat last year so expectations probably wont be too high.

Can you 'pitcher' it if Anderson has ROY calibre year? Our line up would be awesome. ;)

Edited by YASNY

anderson i think will have a fine rookie seaon, .260+ average, 14+ homers and 60 driven in is fine, if he plays solid D than we are fine, we wouldnt loose a step. as for jenks, if he gets that curve over to set up his electric fastball, he could save 30+ games with a low 2.75-3.75 era, but if he doesnt listen to AJ, he is in trouble.All in all, our lineup will be more effective this season than it was last season, if thome produces, konerko will produce MORE becuz of the added pitches he will see. Uribe is the key i think, if he hits well in the 2 spot, and takes pitches so pods can steal bags, then we have a division title in our sights, and hopefully more, we have to wait and see though :gosox1:

QUOTE(rventura23 @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 01:48 AM)
remember Pods throw home in Game 2 of the world series?

I remember it all too well.

Thinking "he's GOT HIM" when Pods got the ball and the runner was just touching third, then watching the ball sputter up the first base side of the plate.

BUT, Pods would not have gotten the chance to hit that walkoff and send his bat to the Hall Of Fame. Can't send your ARM to Cooperstown, now, can ya???

:D