Red Sox trade for Coco Crisp

nitetrain8601

See, now this I can step in and argue a little bit.

If I'm building a team...I probably hold onto Marte.  Why?  Because I personally don't have the budget of the Yankees or the Red Sox.  However, if I'm building a team with their budgets and the expectation that I need to win 90-95 games and get to the playoffs every year...I think I have to make that deal, for 1 simple reason; the fans expect it.

When I'm spending that kind of money, I just can't go into the season with a AA ball level player in Center Field.  No matter who else I have in that lineup, it's just going to make me a laughingstock.  Didn't the Yankees try that with someone like 2 years ago and wind up losing a couple of games because the guy was booting everything?  That might even have been last year.

If the Red Sox can get something which will help them compete this year...that's good enough for them.  Why?  Because even though they won't have Marte @ 3rd base in 07-14, their cash resources will let them find someone who can do a decent job there.  All they need to do is bring in youth every now and then at 1-2 positions, such as the bullpen, to make the rest of their team a little more affordable (like the Y ankees with Cano) and they'll be in good shape if they don't make any other boneheaded personnel decisions, like trading for a Kevin Brown or something like that.

I agree. It makes sense for a big salary team like the Red Sox to trade Marte if they want to. IF Youkilis pans out, they could move him back to 3B and sign a top free agent 1B like Derrek Lee or Mark Teixeira in a year or two once Lowell is gone.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 02:27 PM)
I agree.  It makes sense for a big salary team like the Red Sox to trade Marte if they want to.  IF Youkilis pans out, they could move him back to 3B and sign a top free agent 1B like Derrek Lee or Mark Teixeira in a year or two once Lowell is gone.

In fact, they may very well be BETTER off doing it that way...for the simple reason that the odds that any player will turn out to be better than Tex are minimal...and if they stick a guy like Tex in their lineup...it matters even less that they have a guy who isn't great with the bat at 3rd as long as he gloves the ball every now and then. Ortiz and Teixeira in the heart of that order in 3 years? Eek. The only way that really becomes a bad move for the BoSox is if Marte turns into a 30-40 home run, MVP-caliber type guy every year...and even if he turns into a great player, the odds of him being better than the FA they could stick in his spot are even smaller.

According to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the Indians want to both keep Guillermo Mota and have Manny Delcarmen added to what had been a six-player Coco Crisp trade.

It'd be Crisp, David Riske and Josh Bard to Boston for Andy Marte, Mota, Kelly Shoppach and Delcarmen. According to the report, the Red Sox said no to that swap and offered two lower-level prospects rather than Delcarmen, only to be turned down. In it's original form, this was a bad deal for the Red Sox. It's past time that they walk away and find another solution to their center-field issues.

Source:  Cleveland Plain Dealer

Looks like Mark Shapiro is sticking his hands too far down the Cookie Jar. ;)

Theo Epstein should really look into acquiring Austin Kearns now, although besides Arroyo, it's hard to find a match on who'd they trade besides prospects.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 09:30 AM)
clement makes sense, no?

LOL, not for the Reds. I can see him being a righty version of Eric Milton in that park. But the Reds will probably do it anyways because they feel they need pitching and want to get rid of Austin Kearns for whatever reason.

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 08:53 AM)
Has anyone else wondered why Mota passed an exam to be traded to the Red Sox, but couldn't pass the exam to go to the Indians? Who does the exams for the Red Sox, Toronto's old team physician?

Something tells me that the only 1 of the Marlins who had to actually "Pass" his physical in that deal was Beckett. I think Lowell and Mota were basically Salary dumps, and Boston was willing to take them to get Beckett.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 08:07 AM)
LOL, not for the Reds.  I can see him being a righty version of Eric Milton in that park.  But the Reds will probably do it anyways because they feel they need pitching and want to get rid of Austin Kearns for whatever reason.

Clement also doesn't make sense because he's paid a ton. That deal might make sense if cash moves with it.

LOL, not for the Reds.  I can see him being a righty version of Eric Milton in that park.  But the Reds will probably do it anyways because they feel they need pitching and want to get rid of Austin Kearns for whatever reason.

Reds interim GM Brad Kullman said today that there are no ongoing trade talks with the Red Sox and Indians regarding outfielder Austin Kearns.

"All the rumors are about what happened in the past," Kullman said. Kullman didn't rule out a Kearns trade, and he didn't say there were no discussions with other clubs regarding the outfielder.

Source:  Cincinnati Enquirer

An official of one team that spoke with the Indians told ESPN.com's Jayson Stark today that he got the impression the odds of Cleveland trading Coco Crisp had sunk below 50-50.

Stark, though, goes on to report that the Red Sox are trying to acquire Austin Kearns from Cincinnati to trade to the Indians for Crisp. One possiblility that wasn't mentioned, but still probably can't be ruled out, is a Boston trade for Philadelphia's Jason Michaels. He could be kept, but he'd also be additional trade bait for Cleveland.

Source:  ESPN.com

The Akron Beacon Journal's Sheldon Ocker said that, as of late this afternoon, the chances of a Coco Crisp trade had diminished to almost nothing.

It's also unlikely that the Jason Michaels-for-Arthur Rhodes swap will be consummated, assuming that the Red Sox and Indians can't work something out for Crisp.

Source:  Akron Beacon Journal

The Red Sox and Dustan Mohr have agreed to terms on a minor league deal, according to the Denver Post.

Mohr may be a better fallback in center field than Willie Harris or Adam Stern, but he still can't be viewed as much of an option as a regular there. It might be that he'll act as the right fielder against left-handers until Gabe Kapler returns from his torn Achilles' tendon, but even in that role, he isn't a great choice. While Mohr was surprisingly productive for the Giants in 2004 (.274/.394/.437), he was a lousy player last year (.154/.205/.301 outside of Coors Field) and his track record before the two aberrations suggested he was a fifth outfielder at best.

Source:  Denver Post

The thought of Willie Harris being Boston's starting center fielder is making me laugh my ass off.

So if this Crisp deal dies, which it looks like it will...what do you do about CF if you're Boston?

Personally, if I'm Seattle, I start getting on the phone with Boston and seeing if they'll part with Marte for Reed. Then I turn around and try to ship Beltre to someone who wants to add some potential pop at 3rd, like the Angels. Maybe see if they can't pry Brandon Wood, who's blocked by Cabrera anyway, away from the Angels for Beltre. That would give the Mariners a hell of a left side for the next decade.

Meh, if I was the indians, Austin Kearns sure as s*** wouldnt do it for me. The guy is not that great.

I would only hope that he would keep hitting better away from Great American. But the guy really has gone down hill since his rookie year, and his strike outs seem to climb each year.

Edited by RockRaines

The Philadlelphia Inquirer is reporting that the Jason Michaels-for-Arthur Rhodes trade is done, pending physicals.

The Inquirer confirms that Rhodes is in Philadelphia today having a physical examination. If he passes the physical, the deal could be announced later today.

Source:  Philadelphia Inquirer

MLB.com is reporting that the the Indians will send Coco Crisp, David Riske and Josh Bard to Boston for Andy Marte, Guillermo Mota and Kelly Shoppach once the Jason Michaels-for-Arthur Rhodes swap is finalized.

The Indians will also get a player to be named or cash, according to the report. Of course, Rhodes could always fail his physical, dragging this thing out for another week or three.

Source:  Indians.mlb.com

Too bad. This pic is hilarious...

BDD_holes_PS.jpg

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 11:05 AM)
Something tells me that the only 1 of the Marlins who had to actually "Pass" his physical in that deal was Beckett.  I think Lowell and Mota were basically Salary dumps, and Boston was willing to take them to get Beckett.

The story was Boston didn't do any physical exams on any of the players it acquired.

Tribe finalizes two deals in a day

Mota, Marte, Shoppach and Michaels headed to Cleveland

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/NASApp/ml...t=.jsp&c_id=cle

Indians get:

RP Guillermo Mota

3B Andy Marte

C Kelly Shoppach

OF Jason Michaels

Red Sox get:

OF Coco Crisp

RP David Riske

C Josh Bard

Phillies get:

LRP Arthur Rhodes

The Indians get worse for 2006 but better for the future.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 10:07 PM)
Tribe finalizes two deals in a day

Mota, Marte, Shoppach and Michaels headed to Cleveland

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/NASApp/ml...t=.jsp&c_id=cle

Indians get:

RP Guillermo Mota

3B Andy Marte

C Kelly Shoppach

OF Jason Michaels

Red Sox get:

OF Coco Crisp

RP David Riske

C Josh Bard

Phillies get:

LRP Arthur Rhodes

The Indians get worse for 2006 but better for the future.

Possibly better for the future. You figure he'll be better than his 60 ABs last year. I mean, it's pretty tough to go lower than a .438 OPS. That's close to a Jim Thome OBP.

Anyway. I love this deal. THank you Cleveland. ANd thank you Mark Shipiro for throwing Coco under the bus on his way out. LOL. You don't see many GMs saying how awful their player is in a certain aspect of the game on the way out.

Possibly better for the future. You figure he'll be better than his 60 ABs last year. I mean, it's pretty tough to go lower than a .438 OPS. That's close to a Jim Thome OBP.

Anyway. I love this deal. THank you Cleveland. ANd thank you Mark Shipiro for throwing Coco under the bus on his way out. LOL. You don't see many GMs saying how awful their player is in a certain aspect of the game on the way out.

I hope that Brian Anderson doesn't suck because he had a .559 OPS in 34 AB's last season. Why even bring up such a small sample size? It's pretty insignificant. And I really doubt that the Indians aren't happy with Andy Marte considering Aaron Boone was the only decent third baseman in their system. Aaron Boone sucks.

By the way, link me up with Shapiro's negative comments on Coco. I'd like to see that. Sounds good.

Edited by SSH2005