81 Points For Kobe

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Spiff @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 09:37 AM)
Jordan never scored 81.  Unbelievable how some people can't just admit when they see greatness.

COrrect me if I am wrong, but Sportscenter said that one game Jordon score 61 he sat the entire 4th Quarter! He probably could have score more if he wanted to. If you noticed, Even after the lakers were up by 10 or 15 in the 4th Quarter, Kobe was still in!! Why does he need to still be playing? Just to inflate his own ego more?

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 10:10 AM)
COrrect me if I am wrong, but Sportscenter said that one game Jordon score 61 he sat the entire 4th Quarter! He probably could have score more if he wanted to. If you noticed, Even after the lakers were up by 10 or 15 in the 4th Quarter, Kobe was still in!! Why does he need to still be playing? Just to inflate his own ego more?

It was still a 9 point game half way through the 4th quarter. Once Kobe built that lead up himself Phil probably just kept him in to let him finish this one off. Kobe pulled himself in the other game this year when he had 62 through 3.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 09:47 AM)
I want proof. ;)

In reality I felt with the way sometime he can get on a hot streak and the way he seems to shoot at will like in that Suns game (even when he was missing) I just thought that he might do it with the way the Lakers are assembled this year.

On the Kobe/Jordan thing...not only was Mike playing in a different Era...but I don't know if Mike had to put up with this bad of a supporting cast at any point after his first couple seasons in the league. For his best years...he actually had people to feed, so even on games where he'd go off for 55-60...he'd still pass the ball because it was just a more high percentage shot.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 10:10 AM)

Earlier this year Kobe scored 60 something against the Mavericks and also sat out the 4th quarter.

What I think is the biggest and most important reason that Jordan is better than Bryant is because Jordan made his team better. I haven't seen Kobe make his team better other than drawing a double team here or there.

I'm glad some people are mentioning older names like Wilt and Oscar Robertson. The Big O is probably one of the most under-rated players that ever played the game. I think the golden era in the NBA is the late 80's-early 90's but the a lot of the guys that were playing in the 60's could take on players of our generation.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 09:46 AM)
I'm glad some people are mentioning older names like Wilt and Oscar Robertson. The Big O is probably one of the most under-rated players that ever played the game. I think the golden era in the NBA is the late 80's-early 90's but the a lot of the guys that were playing in the 60's could take on players of our generation.

Personally I still feel that it's almost impossible to say that "This player from x generation could take this player from y generation" just because the training regiments and athleticism have changed so dramatically in the past few years. Statements like that always bug me. Who knows...maybe if Wilt or O were 23 years old now, their bodies wouldn't hold up to a heavy lifting and training schedule as well as some other folks, and they'd wind up sitting on the bench injured a lot. It's been known to happen to very talented people these days already.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 10:55 AM)
On the Kobe/Jordan thing...not only was Mike playing in a different Era...but I don't know if Mike had to put up with this bad of a supporting cast at any point after his first couple seasons in the league.  For his best years...he  actually had people to feed, so even on games where he'd go off for 55-60...he'd still pass the ball because it was just a more high percentage shot.

The 1987 Bulls were probably just as bad, if not worse, than these Lakers.

Here's the roster: Michael Jordan, Charles Oakley, John Paxson, Gene Banks, Brad Sellers, Dave Corzine, Sedale Threatt, Earl Cureton, Steve Colter, Mike Brown, Elston Turner, Pete Myers and Granville Waiters.

I almost cried just typing that.

I also came across a very good article that kinda backs up what I said earlier about what Michael would do if he were playing today. Here's a couple portions of it.

But Bryant had one big advantage over Wilt (and more recent players such as Michael Jordan) in that the new rules have made it almost impossible to defend against anyone. It's no coincidence that we've got three players averaging more than 30 points this season (Kobe, Allen Iverson and LeBron James), which would be the first time that's happened since 1981-82. In fact, were it not for Kobe's explosion, we'd probably all be talking this morning about Sunday's 152-149 Sonics-Suns double OT game, the league's highest-scoring game in 11 years

As Blazers coach Nate McMillan once said after the NBA instituted the first set of new rules against hand-checking, back in the late '90s: "Michael Jordan would love this. It was almost impossible to guard him when you could touch him. With these rules, he could get 100 points."

Here's the entire article:http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/marty_burns/01/23/notebook.0123/index.html

I'm not trying to take anything away from Kobe, Lebron or any of the top perimiter players today. But these new rules are definitely helping them.

QUOTE(Tadahito Iguchi @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 01:44 AM)
Is Kobe better than Michael Jordan? I think he might be hes won 3 championships already...................And I wouldnt be surpried if he finishes with 5 more............

Shaq won 3 championships. Kobe benefitted from having Shaq with him, and his teams suck when he doesn't have Shaq. Look at the Lakers record becaose claiming that he'll win 5 more.

And comparing Kobe to MJ? I'm not a Bulls fan, but wow. Don't go there, they are so far apart its not even funny.

And yea, most of this was probably already said. So just ignore me :P

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 02:08 PM)
Personally I still feel that it's almost impossible to say that "This player from x generation could take this player from y generation" just because the training regiments and athleticism have changed so dramatically in the past few years.  Statements like that always bug me.  Who knows...maybe if Wilt or O were 23 years old now, their bodies wouldn't hold up to a heavy lifting and training schedule as well as some other folks, and they'd wind up sitting on the bench injured a lot.  It's been known to happen to very talented people these days already.

Yeah it's kinda funny how I mentioned that when I'm usually on the same page with you in not comparing 2 different eras. Who knows what people would've been like with weightlifting or the 3 point line and whatever else.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 08:44 AM)
Agreed.  But most young fans are ignorant to previous eras.  It's really sad.  I think Qwerty even said Wilt wasn't that good because he dominated white midgets?  lol.  I could pull up a pretty impressive list of centers Wilt destroyed in his day.  Imagine what Wilt would do if he got to go up against the centers of today. :lol:

Impressive list? Go ahead and accumulate one. Out of the center position there was very little talent to be head. It was mostly out of the power forward position and the average weight for then was 215-225. Moderan day basketball many shooting guards weight 215+ and they was not the case back then. The games are really no comparable. The players are in 10 times better shape do to medical reasons for and work out machines.

In wilt chamberlians first year in the league the biggest man he was against was walter dukes... he was the only other 7 footer in 1960 and he weighed in at 220. The great walter dukes.

Even until even the late sixties, the start of his decline, he was bigger than most everyone... freak of nature if you will. Also, if chamberlain got to play today i feel he would be in the top echelon.

I know every single thing he has done in his career and it was a very good career. But to me that is like when espn was comparing usc to teams in the 1950's.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 08:34 AM)
Kobe has tried to be Michael throughout his whole life, he just cannot be Michael.  I mean, he even screwed up the mistress on the side worse than MJ did.

Dont forget that he has yet to dabble in gambling ( that we know of ) and whiffing on curve balls.

I don't believe the league will allow him to score this many points again. Literally not allow him. Perhaps the Raptors were more than willing to play dead-stiffs throughout most of the 4th quarter, but would any legitimate team allow such domination? I'd would have chopped him in the f***ing head. It's embarassing if you're a Toronto Raptor to allow yourselves to be subjected to such a feat . As I alluded earlier, I regarded Bryant as one of the most talented players well before this game. He would have scored 60+ regardless. But the Raptors--MY GOD. Do you have any pride?

QUOTE(q\/\/3r+y @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 04:36 PM)
Impressive list? Go ahead and accumulate one. Out of the center position there was very little talent to be head. It was mostly out of the power forward position and the average weight for then was 215-225. Moderan day basketball many shooting guards weight 215+ and they was not the case back then. The games are really no comparable. The players are in 10 times better shape do to medical reasons for and work out machines.

Let's see, Wilt went up against Bill Russell, you know, the guy that many believe is the greatest defensive player who ever lived. He went up against guys like Willis Reed and Nate Thurmond. They're only 2 of the 50 greatest players ever and both are hall of famers. Who else? There's this guy named Kareem. I'm sure you've heard of him. I can think of guys like Walt Bellamy, Bob Lanier and Elvin Hayes. I'm pretty sure all three are in the hall of fame. Sure, Wilt was a freak of nature back then, but so is Shaq. Are we gonna take away from Shaq because he's so much bigger and stronger than everybody else? Are we gonna say Shaq's 3 rings aren't as impressive because his number one competition at that time at center was Vlade Divac?

As for players being bigger and stronger than they were back then? NO DUH! If those players had the same type of training, nutrition and technology we have now back in 1965, they would be just as big and just as strong. It doesn't mean we have to diminish what they accomplished.

In wilt chamberlians first year in the league the biggest man he was against was walter dukes... he was the only other 7 footer in 1960 and he weighed in at 220. The great walter dukes.

See above.

Even until even the late sixties, the start of his decline, he was bigger than most everyone... freak of nature if you will. Also, if chamberlain got to play today i feel he would be in the top echelon.

No, he wouldn't be top echelon. He would be by far and away the best center in the league. Only Shaq would be close. Could you imagine Wilt in today's game with the training, nutrition and technology we have now? Going up against stiffs like Chris Mihm, Erick Damiper and Adonal Foyle on a regular basis? In a league that is softer than Bobby Jenks' belly? I know when young people think of Wilt. they think of Shaq. But Wilt had a much more rounded game than Shaq has ever had. I'd say he would average around 33ppg, 16rpg, 4bpg on close to 60% shooting if he were playing today. I don't think to many people would disagree.

I know every single thing he has done in his career and it was a very good career. But to me that is like when espn was comparing usc to teams in the 1950's.

I don't get what you're saying here. You say Wilt's 100 point game isn't all that because you feel the competition wasn't that good. Then you would have to say the same thing about Kobe's 81, right? Outside of Chris Bosh, that's an nbdl type team. They're not just bad. Bad would actually be an improvement. They're HORRIBLE. They're the 29th ranked defensive team out of 30 teams. Me, you, Rowand44 and Jeckle could probably drop 100 on them. Hell, Carmelo scored damn near 40 points against them on 16 shots last night. I don't think you're being fair.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006