81 Points For Kobe

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 07:20 AM)
As for players being bigger and stronger than they were back then?  NO DUH!  If those players had the same type of training,  nutrition and technology we have now back in 1965,  they would be just as big and just as strong.  It doesn't mean we have to diminish what they accomplished.

You know what? I'm going to disagree with this. The reality I think is much more that different bodies respond differently to different amounts of training. When you take a person who was good at one time, and give them modern weight lifting routines, you will not necessarily improve that person as much as you will other players.

This is my Barry Bonds theory - a lot of people took steroids in baseball, but only 1 of them turned into Barry Bonds. A lot of them got better, but a lot also fell apart. It's hard to predict how each and every body is going to react to the stresses of workouts, weight training, etc. Some bodies react differently to the training than others do.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 03:19 PM)
You know what?  I'm going to disagree with this.  The reality I think is much more that different bodies respond differently to different amounts of training.  When you take a person who was good at one time, and give them modern weight lifting routines, you will not necessarily improve that person as much as you will other players.

This is my Barry Bonds theory - a lot of people took steroids in baseball, but only 1 of them turned into Barry Bonds.  A lot of them got better, but a lot also fell apart.  It's hard to predict how each and every body is going to react to the stresses of workouts, weight training, etc.  Some bodies react differently to the training than others do.

I can see what you're saying. I mean, there's no exact way to know how players of the past would respond to some of the stuff you have today. Maybe being bigger would actually hurt their games? I have no idea. But nobody can deny that players of today have many advantages that players of 40 years ago simply didn't have. This goes for all sports. Lebron didn't come out the womb lookin like he does now. It's my opinion that a majority of players from the past would benefit with today's training methods, ect.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 01:39 PM)
I can see what you're saying.  I mean,  there's no exact way to know how players of the past would respond to some of the stuff you have today.  Maybe being bigger would actually hurt their games?  I have no idea.  But nobody can deny that players of today have many advantages that players of 40 years ago simply didn't have.  This goes for all sports.  Lebron didn't come out the womb lookin like he does now.  It's my opinion that a majority of players from the past would benefit with today's training methods,  ect.

Yes, I'm not saying they wouldn't benefit...but the key thing I'm trying to get across is that it's impossible to say that they would benefit to the point that say a Lebron or a Kobe Bryant has. You can take a very good player and even with proper training discover that he just can't be better than very good, or you can take an average player and with proper training turn him great, just because of the different ways their bodies will react.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 03:58 PM)
Yes, I'm not saying they wouldn't benefit...but the key thing I'm trying to get across is that it's impossible to say that they would benefit to the point that say a Lebron or a Kobe Bryant has.  You can take a very good player and even with proper training discover that he just can't be better than very good, or you can take an average player and with proper training turn him great, just because of the different ways their bodies will react.

Oh yeah, I obviously know that. There's a lot more to being a good or great player than just training and such. My argument was basically with Qwerty. He seems to dismiss Wilt's time because players aren't as big and strong as they are today.

Realistically, you could name 7-10 top tier big men over any given decade... let alone two decades.

I never dismissed what wilt chamberlain did in his time period against the competition that was around then. I am sorry but he would never have scored 50+ with 25+ rebounds within the last 20 years... in any given year. Especially wouldn't have happened in the 1980's up until the mid 1990's. They simply would not have allowed it. Sure he would have still been the same prolific shot blocker ( some say he avearged 5-6 a game)... but his overall game would have not be nearly the same.

Even if he had everything that available to him now that moderan day players it is silly to expect him to put up anything like he did early on in his career. A drop off is expected like the numbers you gave.

Also the problem with the nba isn't the talent level. Mostly it is the commitment to defense and team basketball. Most of the players are currently just looking for the big pay check... and we all know offense =$$$. Therefore the lack of defense. The perimeter defense is just unbearable to watch most nights...unless you get lucky with a good matchup.

QUOTE(q\/\/3r+y @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 06:54 PM)
Also the problem with the nba isn't the talent level. Mostly it is the commitment to defense and team basketball. Most of the players are currently just looking for the big pay check... and we all know offense =$$$. Therefore the lack of defense. The perimeter defense is just unbearable to watch most nights...unless you get lucky with a good matchup.

Only problem I have with that is that nobody can consistently hit a damn jump shot. Defense and team bal isn't the only problem...