Cubs sign Wade Miller

ChiSoxJoe

Free-agent pitcher Wade Miller agreed to terms Monday on a one-year, $1 million contract with the Chicago Cubs.

Miller, 29, was 4-4 with a 4.95 ERA last year with Boston. He underwent surgery on his right labrum in September, but expects to return in May.

The Mariners, Pirates, Astros, Phillies and Red Sox had also expressed an interest in Miller, who is 62-43 in seven seasons with Houston and Boston.

"We had a handful of teams interested in Wade, but the Cubs were very aggressive the last couple of days, and that's where he decided he wanted to pitch," said Bob Garber, Miller's agent.

Miller, who made $1.5 million last year with Boston, can earn an additional $1 million in incentives.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2303134

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 09:06 PM)
Expected back in May.  Cheap, safe gamble, why not?

i agree, if we made this move then people would be praising KW for the "low risk high reward" move that kenny loves to make.

i like the move if i'm a cubs fan

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 06:03 PM)
It becomes a lot easier when you realize there is no option on a 2007 season and he'll be pretty much shelfed for the majority of 2006.

Well I'm not sure but I think if worse comes to worse they might be able to go to Arb with Miller in '07. He'll be right around the 6-year mark at least. If he is a free agent after '06, good luck with getting him to agree to a team option in '07 anyways. The health issue is a serious concern. However, if I'm a GM, I'm more than willing to risk less than 1/100th of my payroll on a Wade Miller comeback.

Edited by 3E8

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 05:02 PM)
Hard to knock this move at just $1 million.

Me personally, I'm not really knocking the move...I do like Miller...think he's a gamer and is just gritty as hell. He doesn't have the best stuff, but when he's right, he can be very effective.

I just find a little irony in the fact that he's a very injury prone SP on a team where the rotation is infamous for being full of injury prone SPs(even though Wood is really about the only real injury prone one in the rotation)

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 07:19 PM)
i liked the red sox taking a flyer on him last year, and he actually lived down the street from my dad.

i've always liked wade miller, i wish him all the best.

I liked the BoSox taking a chance on him last year too...But like at least 1 other person said...it's insane that the Cubs only signed him for 1 year and didn't get club options for the next 2 years or so, just in case somehow he does come back. Especially if it looks like he won't be ready to open the season...they may spend $1 million on him so that he can rehab in AAA until September.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 01:52 AM)
But like at least 1 other person said...it's insane that the Cubs only signed him for 1 year and didn't get club options for the next 2 years or so, just in case somehow he does come back.

Club options into first years of free agency = not happening.

Damn,  I just now found out about this.  Not a bad move.  Miller is pretty good if healthy.

That's the key. But a $100 million payroll team like the Cubs shouldn't have to depend on so many "if healthy's" like Kerry Wood and Wade Miller. A $100 million payroll team also shouldn't have a starting outfield of Matt Murton, Juan Pierre, and Jock Jones. That's pathetic.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 10:46 AM)
That's the key.  But a $100 million payroll team like the Cubs shouldn't have to depend on so many "if healthy's" like Kerry Wood and Wade Miller.  A $100 million payroll team also shouldn't have a starting outfield of Matt Murton, Juan Pierre, and Jock Jones.  That's pathetic.

No argument from me. The Cubs suckage makes me laugh. But hey, It's still a Cubs town.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 06:23 PM)
i agree, if we made this move then people would be praising KW for the "low risk high reward" move that kenny loves to make.

i like the move if i'm a cubs fan

I concur. Miller has a good arm and this is a very low risk move.