Reds fire GM

Balta1701

Well...somehow, I bet a lot of people saw this coming.

General manager Dan O'Brien was fired Monday by new Cincinnati Reds owner Bob Castellini, his first major change since he took control of the team.

O'Brien was entering his third season as general manager and had a year to go on his contract. The Reds are coming off their fifth consecutive losing season, their longest such streak in 50 years.

Major-league owners approved the Reds' sale to Castellini last Thursday. In a news conference a day later, he indicated he was impatient with losing and was planning to make changes as he learned more about how the team operates.

Castellini's first move was to put chief operating officer John Allen in charge of the business side of the franchise, with O'Brien reporting directly to him. Under previous owner Carl Lindner, O'Brien reported to Allen.

"I want someone in this job who is my choice," Castellini said in a statement. "I told Dan he has worked hard and has worked diligently to rebuild the farm system and scouting department of the Reds and that we appreciate his efforts."

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 04:30 PM)
my fav NL team.  The big red machine will be back.

agreed. they won't be back for awhile, though. lindner, o'brien and co. really drove that franchise into the ground.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 08:30 AM)
rumor out this way was circulating that the indians offered the reds jake westbrook for austin kearns. supposedly o'brien turned that down, but i wonder if it will be revisited now.

I'd make that trade in a heartbeat If I were the Reds. Thats an awful move by the Tribe, imo. I've always liked Westbrook though. Good looking sinker.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 08:09 PM)
Wagner's still in AAA. He can't pitch for s***.

He'd be a good "buy low" candidate for any team looking for a good young reliever.

It's going to be hard for any pitcher to have any real success pitching at the Great American Ballpark.