College Sophomore Stumps President Bush

BigSqwert

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 10:36 AM)
He said money isn't being cut out of the program.  It is.  The article YOU cited to counter the ThinkProgress article states that "overall, the student loan program would endure the largest cut in its history, and most of the money would not be pumped back into education."  That's bad.

Most of the savings is due to that interest rate hike.  So, students pay more, government pays less.  That's not 'improving efficiency', that's just transferring money from students to the government (and from there, to tax cuts...).  It's not that banks will merely profit less -- the profit will just be paid directly by students.  Thanks to our education president!

I wasn't commenting on whether I agree or disagree with the cuts. I wasn't quoting the article to back up whether I agree or disagree with the cuts. In fact, the only thing I personally wrote about was him anserwing the question. I was just saying he wasn't stumped. He knew what she was referring to and others that voted for the cuts explained it simlarliy. I know he didn't explain it like a good debater should or even how a good speaker would, but that's not what I'm arguing...I was just pointing out he wasn't stumped on the question like the article would have you believe.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 10:31 AM)
Wait.  Doesn't this go along with the liberal agenda of taking money away from the rich and putting more in the government coffers?  Legit question.  Not trying to be a smart ass .... this time.

Not exactly what you are asking. The government takes money from everybody except the poorest.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 10:59 AM)
Not exactly what you are asking. The government takes money from everybody except the poorest.

The last sentence of your post ...

I worry that by taking the profit out of student loans that it will become harder to get these loans as banks may limit how many they will process.

Taking the profit from the banks ... with the banks sending the excess back to the gov't. That's what I was talking about.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 04:56 PM)
I wasn't commenting on whether I agree or disagree with the cuts.  I wasn't quoting the article to back up whether I agree or disagree with the cuts.  In fact, the only thing I personally wrote about was him anserwing the question. I was just saying he wasn't stumped.  He knew what she was referring to and others that voted for the cuts explained it simlarliy.  I know he didn't explain it like a good debater should or even how a good speaker would, but that's not what I'm arguing...I was just pointing out he wasn't stumped on the question like the article would have you believe.

Well, he said that there weren't any cuts. When students pay more because the government is paying less than it did before, I'd say that's pretty unambiguously a cut.

If you mean that he wasn't stumped, just spinning, okay, that may be. But a stumped pres is better than a lying one, so it seems to me that ThinkProgress was at least giving him the benefit of the doubt...