Better Late than Never

southsider2k5

For anyone who has not made the trip to the Field Museum to see the Baseball As America traveling exhibit. GET OFF YOUR ASS AND GO! It was an incredible mix of the history and social impact of baseball through out the 150 year or so history of America's past time. There was so much memorabilia and history in such a small area it was amazing. It took me 2 hours to make it through the exhibit. For anyone who is out of town I recommend the book by the same title. It is available on Barnes and Noble dot com for $12 now, marked down from $35.

I want to try to go back and see it again as a matter of a fact. :usa

It was a decent exhibit, but I could have done with a little less of the women's league and "baseball as Hollywood" junk they had in there.

It also wasn't as interactive as I had hoped - you could grab a few bats and whatnot, but the vast majority of stuff was behind glass.

I enjoyed the Buck Weaver letter asking ( begging? ) for reinstatement - that's the kind of stuff I'd like to have seen more of.

Thankfully, I got in for free.... :)

It was a decent exhibit, but I could have done with a little less of the women's league and "baseball as Hollywood" junk they had in there.

It also wasn't as interactive as I had hoped - you could grab a few bats and whatnot, but the vast majority of stuff was behind glass.

I enjoyed the Buck Weaver letter asking ( begging? ) for reinstatement - that's the kind of stuff I'd like to have seen more of.

Thankfully, I got in for free.... :)

That was supposed to be the whole point of the exhibit. It wasn't just the sport of baseball, but the societial impact of baseball accross the generations and history of the country. I thought it was spectacular.

Also on a side note the Eternal Eygpt was incredible and is a must see for anyone who is into Eygptology. The artifacts they had where just aweinspiring.

When I come to Chicago in July to do my graduate internship at the Chicago Historical Society I will have to check it out. Thanks for the info

Oh, CHS is also running an exhibition of the history of chicago sports called: Chicago Sports: You shoulda been there

When I come to Chicago in July to do my graduate internship at the Chicago Historical Society I will have to check it out.  Thanks for the info

Oh, CHS is also running an exhibition of the history of chicago sports called:  Chicago Sports: You shoulda been there

Where's the CHS? :huh: