This is totally asinine.

NUKE_CLEVELAND

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 03:57 PM)
Funny you should mention Nissan America when the Japanese automakers are creating jobs here in the US while the "US" automakers are taking jobs to Canada and Mexico.

Hurray for the jobs, I was pointing out those that complain about some worker sending money abroad is like complaining about someone spitting on a sidewalk during a hurricane.

BTW, those jobs are a small way of saying NAFTA works, and isn't the giant sucking sound that Kap's fellow Texan, Ross Perot theorized.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 01:57 PM)
Funny you should mention Nissan America when the Japanese automakers are creating jobs here in the US while the "US" automakers are taking jobs to Canada and Mexico.

Funny you should mention that, since one of the main reasons Japanese automakers have opened plants in the U.S. was a Reagan-era requirement that a certain percentage of those companies' vehicles had to be built in the U.S. for them to continue doing business here.

Once the Japanese automakers met those requirements, they started opening their new plants up in Canada, because the population is much better educated and because their state-run health care system provides dramatically lower costs to the company than down here in the States, despite the fact that the tax rates are higher to pay for the health care system.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 04:01 PM)
Hurray for the jobs, I was pointing out those that complain about some worker sending money abroad is like complaining about someone spitting on a sidewalk during a hurricane.

BTW, those jobs are a small way of saying NAFTA works, and isn't the giant sucking sound that Kap's fellow Texan, Ross Perot theorized.

I dont care if they're sending their money to Mexico. My issue is that they're chewing up hundreds of millions of dollars in the affected states with social services that they do not deserve.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 04:04 PM)
Funny you should mention that, since one of the main reasons Japanese automakers have opened plants in the U.S. was a Reagan-era requirement that a certain percentage of those companies' vehicles had to be built in the U.S. for them to continue doing business here.

Once the Japanese automakers met those requirements, they started opening their new plants up in Canada, because the population is much better educated and because their state-run health care system provides dramatically lower costs to the company than down here in the States, despite the fact that the tax rates are higher to pay for the health care system.

They're still creating factory jobs here although not at the same rate they once were. Reason for that is, as you mentioned, cheaper costs.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 01:51 PM)
Most businesses that hire illegals would hire legal workers if they were available and willing to work. What we need, is what Bush proposed, a guest worker program. There are not enough Americans willing to do the manual labor jobs in the US. As Bush supporters have pointed out, our unemployment rate hovers at 5% and under. So it doesn't appear as if these workers are displacing anyone. Check http://themonitor.com a border newspaper and see all the job offers for migrant labor and meat processing plants.

First of all...you know very well I don't believe those "Hovering at 5% unemployment rates" since they exclude the long-term unemployed and a wide variety of others who are classified as "out of the workforce" despite the fact that they may well be actively looking for a job.

But related to that...I still am unconvinced that there really is a lack of people willing to do manual labor jobs here in the U.S. If I had no position right now, I'd do it quite willingly. The problem is...I wouldn't be willing to do it for $2 an hour when I could earn $6 an hour at McDonalds somewhere by being documented. Through the fact that they're undocumented, they have no workplace protections, and employers can pay them whatever they want and bury the corpses when something goes horridly wrong, and no one can say a thing. I don't view this as a way to fill in gaps created by the lack of Americans to do the work...I view it as far more an effort by employers to avoid having to spend the extra effort and money required to follow U.S. laws.

I believe the main reason illegal immigrants come to the United States is family connections and the jobs they provide. Thus, creating stiff fines would have little to no effet on illegal immigration since the goverment would only screen major bussiness (like Walmart). The solution is to give them opportunities to become legal residents if they can meet certain requirements. For instance provide immigrants with "work IDs" (for those who don't have SS#s) so they can pay their taxes and can prove they can contribute to the economy. Let's say if they contunually pay their taxes for 5-7 years, they become eligible for green cards. This way you provide them with a worthwhile benefit to pay their taxes and since they come here primarly for family reasons you provide them with the oppretunity to stay in the United States and spend their money here.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 04:09 PM)
First of all...you know very well I don't believe those "Hovering at 5% unemployment rates" since they exclude the long-term unemployed and a wide variety of others who are classified as "out of the workforce" despite the fact that they may well be actively looking for a job.

But related to that...I still am unconvinced that there really is a lack of people willing to do manual labor jobs here in the U.S.  If I had no position right now, I'd do it quite willingly.  The problem is...I wouldn't be willing to do it for $2 an hour when I could earn $6 an hour at McDonalds somewhere by being documented.  Through the fact that they're undocumented, they have no workplace protections, and employers can pay them whatever they want and bury the corpses when something goes horridly wrong, and no one can say a thing.  I don't view this as a way to fill in gaps created by the lack of Americans to do the work...I view it as far more an effort by employers to avoid having to spend the extra effort and money required to follow U.S. laws.

In that 5% are people collecting unemployment who really don't want to work, so I think there is some balance. And illegals won't work for $2 per hour either. They have to buy food, pay rent, and all the things citizens do. I know a few people down here who employ undocumented workers and are paying $5 to $7 per hour. They are in agriculture, construction, and manufacturing industries.

Take the migrant farm workers. Live in one place for 2-3 weeks, then move on. How much would you want to make? You need temporary housing, a vehicle, and you are never assured of working. Do you think that there are plenty of Americans willing to take that life?