Presidential Visits by Sports Teams

Texsox

In general, and not specific to the Sox visit, but these things are so stupid. There are so many people I'd rather any President visit with than the NCAA winning Lacross team. I know it's a silly little tradition, but I'd love to see some President stop it.

And this is the same for any President and any sports team, college or pro, domestic or international competition, Democrat or Republican.

QUOTE(mreye @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 10:28 AM)
Just think of how much heat the President would get if he stopped this tradition.

That's the problem, or if he stopped granting clemency to a turkey, etc. But the women's volleyball championship team had a visit. Hasn't it gone too far?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 12:31 PM)
That's the problem, or if he stopped granting clemency to a turkey, etc. But the women's volleyball championship team had a visit. Hasn't it gone too far?

depends--do they wear bikinis?

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 10:32 AM)
depends--do they wear bikinis?

A woman on Northwestern's winning lacrosse team wore flip flops and ignited a mini-controversy last year.

A photo of Northwestern University's national championship women's lacrosse team, taken during the athletes' visit to the White House last week, shows four of the nine women in the front row wearing flip-flop sandals along with their dresses and skirts.

The choice of footwear has prompted a mini-controversy — a flip-flop flap, if you will.

A front-page story in the Chicago Tribune included the headline "YOU WORE FLIP-FLOPS TO THE WHITE HOUSE?!" inspired by an e-mail sent to player Kate Darmody from her older brother after he saw the photo on the team's Web site.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 10:34 AM)
If you win a professional world title, or a national championship (D-One) then you should get to go.

But the Sox didn't win a "World" title and they're going. They never did play Bobby Valentine's Japanese team. ;)