If the Season Started Today....

JDsDirtySox

I'm going to pass on the Cubs as a "Bust" team since I think it's implied.

One real possible sleeper team could be Seattle...if Jeremy Reed and Adrian Beltre both have good years and their young pitching holds together. I don't think it'll happen, but it's at least possible.

My top Bust team right now is the Angels, if you define a "Bust" as missing the playoffs when you should make it.

AL sleeper- Oakland A's. I've bashed them in the past, but I'm starting to like their team. If they don't trade Zito, that gives them a solid 1-2-3 with Harden and Haren, plus Blanton is pretty decent too. They also have a strong bullpen. I'm still concerned with the offense though. Their only really dangerous hitter is Chavez, and he's very inconsistent. Kotsay, Swisher, Crosby, and Bradley have some talent at the plate, but one of them really needs to step up and become a middle of the order hitter.

AL bust- Cleveland Indians. I don't think they're going to fall apart, but I don't think they're going to make the playoffs either. Their starting pitching really needs to step up, otherwise they'll suffer the same fate we did for the early part of this decade. Lee and Byd are decent but not stellar starters, and one of Sabathia or Westbrook really needs to pitch up to their abilities. Sabathia just can't seem to keep his ERA under 4, something they really need him to do for them to reach the promised land. I also don't think their lineup will be as potent with Michaels replacing Crisp (I'm assuming that deal will eventually get ironed out). They've definitely got some talent in Sizemore, Perralta, Hafner, and Martinez, but out of the rest of their hitters only Belliard is a real threat.

NL sleeper- Miluakee Brewers. I think they have a fairly good collection of talent now, and I'm not overly impressed with the rest of the division. The Cubs are decidedly mediocre in all aspects of the game, the Astros have a weak lineup, and the Cardinals just keep losing players and could be in for a somewhat rough year if Rolen isn't back. The division might be a stretch, but I think they can contend for the wildcard and maybe make things interesting if the rest of the division slips a bit from previous years. A lot will depend on how youngsters like Fielder, Weeks, and Hardy perform. They all have a ton of talent, but they need to show it for the Brewers to make noise.

NL Bust- Tough call. Can I just take the whole NL East? I guess I'll stick with Atlanta. They have a spotty bullpen, a rotation that goes about 3 deep (and I'm really generous counting the third), and a lineup that lacks a leadoff man. Plus I seriously doubt that Andruw Jones comes anywhere close to matching his power numbers from last year. I really don't think their offense will provide enough punch to compensate for a pitching staff that keeps getting weaker.

Wow Zoom, I totally agree with you on a lot of points.

Cards-I feel like the team is just losing player after player, and they really are starting to age a bit. Of course no team with Pujols is really out of it, but I think they are due for an off season.

Brewers-I think they have alot of potential to overtake the cubs and the stros this year, a second place finish in that division would be a win for them on its own. Fielder is going to be a monster.

A's-I still think that their offense could come around a bit and Big Frank may add some pop t that lineup. I really like swisher and have a man crush on chavez. Also their pitching is underrated IMO.

My AL bust was the Red Sox however. I think that they made alot of spotty moves this offseason and they lack a true lead off hitter. Alot of their core players are gone and I still think their pitching is sub par. Becket is not the ACE they need.

I agree that the Red Sox just aren't going to be that good this year. They just have so many holes and question marks.

Suprise: I think the rangers might be able to put something together this season. Their core players keep maturing and if their pitching can hold on to games, they should contend.

Bust: The mets. Spending a ton of money hasn't been working for them lately, not really expecting it to anytime soon.

Bust: Red Sox...losing more and more key offensive players and Schilling and Foulke's free fall continues while Papebon and Arroyo not ready to assume bigger roles. Beckett a great number 2 but blister issue may be a problem still.

Sleeper: SF Giants...good young pitchers (Lowry, Cain) to go with a healthy Schmidt and resurgent Matt Morris and Bonds back.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 02:02 PM)
Wow Zoom, I totally agree with you on a lot of points.

My AL bust was the Red Sox however.  I think that they made alot of spotty moves this offseason and they lack a true lead off hitter.  Alot of their core players are gone and I still think their pitching is sub par.  Becket is not the ACE they need.

I can definitely see why people are picking the Red Sox to be a major bust. However, I just don't know if they can blow it. I only see the Yankees as a major threat in that division (They're about even in my book. Yankees have a better lineup, but their pitching doesn't impress me outside of the back of the pen), and the loser of those two should still be right in the Wildcard race just like every other year. The Orioles and the Devil Rays definitely can't stick around, and despite spending a ton of money in the offseason the Jays just aren't a serious threat. Their lineup revolves around Vernon Wells and Troy Glaus, and their starting pitching still has major issues. Halladay is a stud but is coming off a major injury, Burnett is about as inconsistent as a pitcher can get, and Chacin, Lilly, and Towers just aren't all that good. As for the other wildcard teams, I like their chances slightly more than Cleveland (should be interesting) and I'm not sure that the AL West loser will be close enough (I like the A's and the Angels, I'm just not sure their lineups have enough punch).

The Red Sox still have some things going for them, although they have to finish the Crisp trade and get Alex Gonzalez. Those are two major holes in CF and SS if they don't happen, and I'd be more inclined to agree with you in that case. Still, their lineup will be among the best in the league as long as Ortiz and Manny are there. Lorretta and Varitek are also solid hitters (as is Crisp if they get him), and Nixon and Lowell could be fairly good. I think they have enough options to get at least credible starting pitching. Schilling may be old, but if he's anywhere near healthy he's a huge asset. Beckett and Clement both have a lot of talent and could make an impact, although there are obvious question marks. Wells, Wakefield, and Arroyo are also semi-credible options, and their bullpen should be somewhat stronger than last year. They made the playoffs with weaker pitching before, plus with their lineup they don't need it to be quite as strong. I think they've got the chance to win close to 100 if a lot of things go their way, but I also think their floor is probably in the mid-80's, which isn't all that bad.

I would have picked Boston to be a bust, but it seems like the majority of "experts" think they've already fallen behind the Blue Jays as far as expectations go. It'll be a bigger surprise if they win the division than if they don't even come close.

But they still have Manny and Big Pappi, so I guess anything is possible.

(Here I go again, arguing with myself) :bang

I've already said on here two or three times that Minnesota is an underrated team...so I won't use them...and I'll try and shy away from other popular picks as well.

Instead, I'll go with Baltimore for an AL Sleeper. They already had a good offense, and adding Ramon Hernandez is not going to hurt that. The one thing I look at when I look at this team is how soon the effect of Mazzone will occur. If it happens immediately, they are a serious contender in the East, and I have no doubt about that. If it takes a year or two to implement and start working, then this whole sleeper thing is really just a bunch of garbage.

As for a bust team...I'll go with the Yankees in the AL. They're still old, their rotation is not nearly as good as some people want it to be, and I'm not a huge fan of Kyle Farnsworth, personally. Doubt it happens, but one never knows.

For an NL Sleeper...I'll go with Philly. Gillick has already built a team that really has no true holes anywhere, and a solid rotation in place. They probably lack a true ace, but I am not sure how much that will matter in the regular season as if they get quality starts all around, they'll be fine. I think they'll surprise a lot of people, and I don't see them finishing worse than 2nd. Another sleeper is Arizona...Byrnes really did a lot to help them all-around. They've improved defensively, their rotation won't be worse than last year, and they will be decent offensively. I really like Arizona.

For NL Bust...if Houston counts, I'd take them. Clemens was unbelieably huge for them, and there is about no chance he returns to Houston, unless it happens in May. If not...I'll take the Cards. I still think they'll win the division, but as Rock has pointed out, they keep losing players...that will not be good in the long run. Sanders, Walker, and Morris alone this offseason, and I'm just not sure Juan Encarnacion is the answer.

AL Bust- Staying from the Red Sox as the obvious choice, I'll go with the Indians. They don't have the starting pitching depth to get the job done. Even with these starters, there are still some huge injury risks.

AL Sleeper- The Toronto Blue Jays. Sure they ridiculousy overpaid during the offseason, but it still will improve their ball club. I think they will be a contender in a (For the first time in years) wide open A.L. East. They just need someone to step up in the middle of that order.

NL Bust- Hmmm. There really aren't any good powerhouse teams in the NL (outside of the always solid Cardinals) anymore making this choice tough. I guess I'll go with the Mets since they made noise this offseason. They are above average at basically every position, but something tells me they won't get it done in the busy N.L. East.

NL Sleeper- L.A. Dodgers. They made a lot of moves this offseason. If the back of their rotation steps up, they should be able to win the dreadful N.L. West.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

I have a problem with a few of these picks...specifically ones like the Blue Jays...since I just can't figure out how the Blue Jays can be a sleeper when a lot of people have been out there saying they could be better than the BoSox this year. To be a sleeper, don't you have to be a team no one is talking about?

Baltimore would strike me as a sleeper in the AL East...and honestly I wouldn't put it past them to do some damage there if Tejada stays hot, Lopez and others stay healthy, Leo Mazzone is as good as advertised, and Palmeiro is gone.

I think the A's and Twins are the two best teams in the AL outside of the sox but I don't think either of them are sleepers.

So, I'll take the Mariners as my sleeper to finish 2nd in the West and in the same boat the Angels to be my bust as I think they're not even in the playoff race for the years.

Bust: Astros- I think coming off the World Series and bringing back roughly the same team they'll struggle. I think Clemens will sign with them when he can, but Bagwell's situation is a nightmare for the team and Biggio is another year older

Sleeper: Brewers- I just like their core of young players and how they got them some experience last year. Like the Koskie move and they finished over .500 last year without Sheets pitching a full season. Also, they can take advantage of that division. I think the Astros and Cards will take a step back and the Cubs are relying too much on major question marks.

AL

Sleeper: Detroit- I think they are going to be a lot more competitive than people give them credit for, the addition of Rogers is key to an emerging young rotation. Obviously a healthy Magglio and Carlos Gullien can make a huge difference for their offense. I would not be surprised at all to see them finish 3rd or **gasp** even higher in the Central. They have always played division rivals well.

Honorable Mention-Texas (still need to dump Soriono to get that elusive arm, we should offer Count and Borchard LOl)

Bust: Toronto- Many people call this team a sleeper, witht the amount of money they spent in the offseason, they will be lucky to find themselves no better than what they have been the last decade... behind NY and Boston. Adding a Playboy's Kerry Wood does not a contender make. They are still a few players away imo.

HM: NY Yankees (pitching SHOULD be better, but what is there to prove that?)

NL

Sleeper: Pittsburgh- Ok, I know this is a stretch, but instead of picking the flavor of the month with the Brewers, I'll take my chances with Steel City. If their pitching ever grows up ala Jon Garland, they would have a respectible combo of arms. Obviously they are miles away form actualyl contending for a pennant, but I strongly believe that they won't be a pushover doormat as they have been in recent years. Bay is will be a perinnal All-Star and a solid franchise guy to begin to lift this team from the cellar.

HM-Philadelphia (at least they know less balls will drop in for hits in CF)

Bust: NY Mets- Omar, Omar, Omar when will you ever learn?? The Mets are happy to be filling Shea Stadium again, its just a shame nobody knows what they are rooting for. David Wright is the exact player that we expected Crede to be when he broke into the starting line-up. Beltran should certainly have a better year, and I'm sure Delgado raised some eyebrows, but you still gotta keep the other team from scoring... there's only so much bleeding that Pedro can stop.

HM- Washington (people still may not expect much, but they will improvement...something this team will not show)

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 05:53 PM)
Honorable Mention-Texas (still need to dump Soriono to get that elusive arm, we should offer Count and Borchard LOl)

That would be a horrible deal for us. Horrible. Hell, even worse than horrible, if thats possible. And yea, they don't even have Soriano anymore.

More along the lines of this thread:

AL Sleeper: Minnesota Twins. Yea, I'll hear some s*** about this from some of you guys, but I think that with their pitching staff, they are a definite sleeper. They need some offense, but if their pitching staff can carry that club like I expect they can, I think they could take the WC.

AL Bust: Toronto Bluejays. They made a lot of moves this offseason, but for some reason, they just don't sit right with me. I don't see them doing much, and I definitely don't see them passing either the Yankees or Red Sox in the AL East.

NL Sleeper: Milwaukee Brewers. They have so much young talent that its hard not to call them a sleeper. After the improvement they showed last year, I think they are prime to win the WC, or possibly even the NL Central, depending on how things work out in St. Louis.

NL Bust: New York Mets. Is this actually considered a bust anymore? They seem to do the same thing all the time, and it doesn't really work out. I don't think this year will be any different, and they'll probably drift around 85 wins. I just don't see them passing the Atlanta Braves in the NL East.

NL Bust: New York Mets.  Is this actually considered a bust anymore?  They seem to do the same thing all the time, and it doesn't really work out.  I don't think this year will be any different, and they'll probably drift around 85 wins.  I just don't see them passing the Atlanta Braves in the NL East.

Haha, so true. Every year they are supposed to be awesome and every year they suck.