Frank Thomas signs with Oakland Athletics

OfficerKarkovice

This has been rumored for some time. I guess they were waiting to see if his foot was all healed. It was just inevitable.

So long Hurt.

We had a hard enough time beating the A's. Now we have to face him 8 or 9 times next year. I'm just glad he'll get a chance for 500 now.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Frank is basically homerun or bust right now. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think he can last a whole season. The White Sox did what they had to do, and obviously Frank doesn't think he's done. It would be a shame if he injured his ankle/foot again and it caused him problems the rest of his life. Its good for him that he goes to a solid team, the real shame would have been if he tried to hang on with a team like TB.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 01:25 PM)
Frank is basically homerun or bust right now. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think he can last a whole season. The White Sox did what they had to do, and obviously Frank doesn't think he's done. It would be a shame if he injured his ankle/foot again and it caused him problems the rest of his life. Its good for him that he goes to a solid team, the real shame would have been if he tried to hang on with a team like TB.

Frank was home run or bust last season...because there was so much pain in his foot he could basically do nothing except swing for the fences. There's always some possibility that another offseason has been enough to help him heal to the point that he can run without pain, and that he can put stress on the thing. It's not a terrible gamble on the A's part.

On the other hand...even if I had him on my team, I don't think I'd want to risk giving him more than 200 AB's unless I was in dire need of a DH down the stretch, just because I'd be too worried about losing him again.

First of all, Goodbye Frank...I'll miss you. And thanks for all the non-'roid moonshots you hit over the years!

Second of all, does he give in and bat 4th? Just wondering since he's never liked to hit there, but he will prolly be their biggest (literally and figuratively) hitter.

A's agree to terms with Frank Thomas on one-year contract

OAKLAND, Calif. -- The Oakland A's today announced that they have agreed to terms with Frank Thomas on a one-year contract for the 2006 season. To clear a spot on the 40-man roster, the A's have designated catcher John Baker for assignment.

Thomas joins the A's after hitting .307 with 448 home runs and 1465 RBI in 16 seasons with the Chicago White Sox. He leaves Chicago as the White Sox all-time leader in runs (1327), doubles (447), home runs, RBI, walks (1446), total bases (3949), extra base hits (906), slugging percentage (.568) and on-base percentage (.427). Thomas ranks 17th in Major League history in walks, 30th in home runs, tied for 46th in extra base hits and 48th in RBI. The 37-year old ranks second among players who were active in 2005 in walks, third in on-base percentage, seventh in home runs, RBI and slugging, eighth in extra base hits, ninth in doubles and total bases and 10th in batting.

Thomas appeared in just 34 games last year and just 108 total over the last two seasons due to stress fractures in his ankle. He batted just .219 in 2005, but hit 12 home runs and added 26 RBI in his 34 games. Thomas opened last year on the disabled list as he continued to recover from off-season surgery on his left ankle and had his season end when he was placed on the DL a second time on July 21 with a second fracture in his ankle. Over the last two years, Thomas is a .255 hitter with 30 home runs and 75 RBI in 108 games. His 2004 season ended in July with the ankle injury that led to off-season surgery.

Thomas is one of 10 players in Major League history with a .300 career batting average, 400 home runs, 1000 RBI, 1000 runs scored and 1000 walks. He joins Barry Bonds along with Hall of Famers Hank Aaron, Jimmie Foxx, Lou Gehrig, Willie Mays, Stan Musial, Mel Ott, Babe Ruth and Ted Williams in that exclusive club. Thomas won back-to-back American League MVP awards in 1993 and 1994 and led the AL in batting in 1997 when he hit .347. He has five 40 homer seasons and 10 years with 100 or more RBI, including 42 home runs and 105 RBI as recently as 2003. Thomas also has 10 seasons with 100 or more walks and his .427 career on-base percentage ranks 14th in Major League history. He is the only player in modern Major League history to hit over .300 with 20 home runs, 100 RBI, 100 runs scored and 100 walks in seven consecutive seasons (1991-97).

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_r...t=.jsp&c_id=oak

Yea, I just saw this was already posted in Pale Hose. Delete this if you wish :P

Edited by Felix

Its good to see Hurt land on his feet with another opportunity, meanwhile Scammy is still begging and pleading for anything more than a minor league contract. This move will definitely help the A's, and we should all be thankful that it was not the Twins. 8 games should be easy to endure, 18 on the other hand, ISH dont think so. :cheers to Frank on finishing out his Hall of Fame career. It seems like just yesterday when you came up with the Sox and immediately became the most feared hitter in the game. Good Luck, Frank... not looking too shabby in the green at least.

Rotoworld:The A's will announce the signing of Frank Thomas to a one-year deal at a news conference tomorrow, The Associated Press reports.

Thomas' addition makes a Jay Payton trade more of a possibility. The A's could go with an outfield of Nick Swisher, Mark Kotsay and Milton Bradley, and they'd still have Bobby Kielty around to hit lefties. However, because Thomas and Bradley are so likely to spend time on the DL, the A's will probably stick with what they have now.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AiFc...ov=ap&type=lgns

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) -- Free agent slugger Frank Thomas agreed to a $500,000, one-year contract with Oakland on Wednesday, giving the Athletics the big bat they've been searching for in the middle of their lineup.

Thomas, a two-time American League MVP who has been slowed by injuries in recent years, can make an additional $2.6 million in bonuses based on plate appearances and not hurting his left foot. He played his first 16 seasons with the Chicago White Sox, who won their first World Series title since 1917 last season.