Frank Thomas signs with Oakland Athletics

OfficerKarkovice

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) -- As determined as Frank Thomas is to move forward with his new team in Oakland, there's still some lingering frustration about how he parted ways with the Chicago White Sox.

Thomas claims he never received a courtesy call from team officials to tell him he was no longer in their plans after 16 seasons. Not to mention no end-of-the-season physical to evaluate his health.

And Thomas, the Athletics' new designated hitter, seriously doubts he'll make the trip to Washington for Chicago's celebratory White House visit with President Bush -- because that would just be too awkward.

Frank really feels like he was done wrong.

"I was shocked," said Thomas, formally introduced Thursday by the Athletics a day after he agreed to a $500,000, one-year contract. "It wouldn't have been about money with me this year. It would have been about closure in Chicago. ... They brought in Jim Thome, and he was more injured than I was last year."

Thome played in 59 games and Thomas played in 34 last year. Frank has only played in 108 games in the last 2 years, and played in only 20 games in 2001. I am surprised he is bringing up Thome in his own news conference.

Thomas has not even ran yet. He wants to be ready for ST, but right now he is not. Thome is reporting with Pitchers and Catchers.

Frank really feels like he was done wrong.

Thome played in 59 games and Thomas played in 34 last year.  Frank has only played in 108 games in the last 2 years, and played in only 20 games in 2001.  I am surprised he is bringing up Thome in his own news conference.

Thomas has not even ran yet.  He wants to be ready for ST, but right now he is not.  Thome is reporting with Pitchers and Catchers.

Ughhh, I love Frank and always will but he needs to get his head out of his ass. Frank has missed significant playing time in 2001, 2004, and 2005 as a full-time DH. Thome has only ever missed significant playing time last season and he has been a full-time 1B every season of his career. Not to mention the fact that Thome is also over 2 years younger than Frank. Thome is also only one inch shorter than Frank but he's 30 pounds lighter. Frank is much more of a threat to get injured again. Only a fool would believe otherwise.

I still hope Frank stays healthy, hits #500, and finally retires. All of this crap will be forgotten when his number is retired and he enters the Hall of Fame as a White Sox.

Edited by SSH2005

You'd think Frank would learn some tact as he ages...  :headshake

I just don't get it. He will turn 38 during next season. He has to know that he's in the twilight of his career and he has maybe 1 or 2 years left at the most. Why would he want to say anything like this when he must know that the Sox will retire his number and he will enter the HoF as a member of the White Sox?

I know there are many insiders that think the change from Thomas to Thome will make the Sox clubhouse infinitely better.

Even if Thomas was a great clubhouse guy, it probably would have improved. Isn't Thome one of the best clubhouse guys in the MLB? That's what I've heard.

By the way... Good God, I just read the article you posted. I can't believe Frank said that crap, especially about a supposed friend like Thome.

Edited by SSH2005

KW was a jagoff when it came to Frank, but I must say he did treat him with class and respect at least publicly this year. Frank's comments are out of line, and to bring Thome into it is unfair. Frank has played 108 games the last 2 seasons combined. The White Sox medical staff obviously doesn't feel he's a good bet to play very much anymore, if he plays at all. Frank should be talking about the A's, not crying about the end with the White Sox.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 06:20 AM)
Even if Thomas was a great clubhouse guy, it probably would have improved.  Isn't Thome one of the best clubhouse guys in the MLB?  That's what I've heard.

By the way...  Good God, I just read the article you posted.  I can't believe Frank said that crap, especially about a supposed friend like Thome.

A lot of people think Thome isn't one of the best clubhouse guys in the majors, he is the best. Him and Ellis Burks have always been considered two of the best team players. Yeah, I know there's a lot of love for Frank on these boards recently, but his comments today really make me feel like telling Frank... :finger

QUOTE(fathom @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 12:27 AM)
A lot of people think Thome isn't one of the best clubhouse guys in the majors, he is the best.  Him and Ellis Burks have always been considered two of the best team players.  Yeah, I know there's a lot of love for Frank on these boards recently, but his comments today really make me feel like telling Frank... :finger

Thome has had a better year than Frank 4 out of the last 5 seasons. The only exception was last season, which wasn't stellar for either one of them. Thome has 18 less homers than Frank in 200 less games. Thome could actually go in and play first base if you needed him to. I don't see what Frank is thinking popping off about Thome. Frank better hope that his ankle holds up and Thome doesn't dominate, or he'll look like a sad fool.

A lot of people think Thome isn't one of the best clubhouse guys in the majors, he is the best.  Him and Ellis Burks have always been considered two of the best team players.  Yeah, I know there's a lot of love for Frank on these boards recently, but his comments today really make me feel like telling Frank... :finger

Yep, okay, that's what I've heard. This part of the article makes Frank really look like he's full of crap...

He claimed he never would have agreed to throw out the first pitch before American League Divisional Series Game 1 or been so receptive in accepting the World Series trophy from general manager Ken Williams at the parade ceremony if he had known what moves lied ahead.

He doubts he will attend any ceremony honoring the World Series champion Sox at the White House because it would be "awkward."

Wasn't Frank saying that winning a World Series was the most important thing in his career? Well, he finally won one and he's still more worried about not being on the Sox the next season?

You know, I have a feeling that whatever negativity there is on Frank's part now will vanish fairly quickly when the phrase "Designated Hitter, Frank Thomas" pipes through the speakers at the Cell this May...and the cheers are heard in Iowa.

If I was in his spot...I may very well be bitter too. 15 years in one spot came to an end just like that...and according to Frank they never game him the dignity of a sit-down meeting to discuss their plans...which if he's telling the truth, would have been a nice gesture on the part of the organization.

Either way, I doubt he'd have been a part of the ring ceremony anyway...Oakland has a game that day. If he's still too hurt to play, the plane flight won't do him any good and his time would be better spent on the rehab path, and if he can play...you want him in that lineup.

Frank the player=Amazing, and damn it sucks to see him in Oakland

Frank the person=Childish douchebag who has never truly learned.

Sucks, but that's how life goes.  Regardless, I still appreciate the fact he's the best player in franchise history and hope he does well for the A's.

Agreed. I should probably dislike Frank for his stupid comments but I can't. I grew up on Frank. And as stupid as his comments are, they show that he probably just really wanted to play for the White Sox for the rest of his career. He just doesn't realize that he's a huge health risk and that's why he was let go.

Another horrible quote by Frank...

"If I'm healthy, they'll be shaking their heads next year," Thomas said. "I felt I had been in the organization for so long I'd get the benefit of the doubt instead of bringing in somebody else. But [Thome] is a big left-handed presence and maybe that's what they wanted was a big left-handed hitter. It wasn't a better hitter, I'm going to tell you that right now."

And Thome is Frank's friend?!? Jesus, what does he say about his enemies?

Edited by SSH2005

If a miracle occurs and Frank is able to play most of the season and puts up big numbers, when do you think he'll start b****ing about his contract?

Eh, I doubt he will. He's already getting $3.5 million from the Sox and if he plays the entire season for the A's he will earn $3.1 million on top of that. $6.6 million ain't bad considering he's a DH who hasn't played a full season since 2003.