Frank Thomas signs with Oakland Athletics

OfficerKarkovice

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 08:46 AM)
See, it was all about closure with Frank.

He wanted to leave Chicago as big an egotistical prick as when he first arrived.  That is just so disappointing.  Believe it or not, Frank, you still are not above the team concept in baseball...nearly 500 homers later.

I've known Frank since day one, and believe it or not he was very, very humble when he first came up. He was extremely worried that he would not succeed and thought several times about going to football. He was scared s***less his first 2 years with the Sox, and really didn't start getting a s***ty attitude for quite a few years. Most of it stemmed from the Sox wanting him to be more of a leader - a role he is sooo uncomfortable with as noted many times. I wonder if they had left him alone on that issue would he be different. In any event, I wish the old Frank was still around...

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 09:07 AM)
I've known Frank since day one, and believe it or not he was very, very humble when he first came up. He was extremely worried that he would not succeed and thought several times about going to football. He was scared s***less his first 2 years with the Sox, and really didn't start getting a s***ty attitude for quite a few years. Most of it stemmed from the Sox wanting him to be more of a leader - a role he is sooo uncomfortable with as noted many times. I wonder if they had left him alone on that issue would he be different. In any event, I wish the old Frank was still around...

Fair enough. I'll go ahead and take your word for it.

There was a long period there during his hey in which he alienated himself from the White Sox fan base. I can't quite pinpoint the when and where, but, it seemed he finally endeared himself to the aforementioned fan base, becoming very popular up until last year's historical run. As I've mentioned, it's just a shame to see him once again alienate himself from a group that finally came to accept him and consider him the best player ever to put on the uniform. Certainly, the majority of Sox fans won't read these quotes, and it probably won't even matter when it comes to his first at-bat or appearance in USCF, but, in some abstract way, it's jus disappointing.

*Sigh*, I just finished reading Frank's comments from today's Sun-Times and I really wish he would think before he speaks....I had the feeling JR was going to retire Frank's jersey when the A's came to Chicago but now, I wouldn't blame him or Kenny if they didn't do anything for him....

And Frank, if you wanted a personal conversation with Kenny, PICK UP THE GODDAMN PHONE NEXT TIME! :banghead

Edited by Allsox

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 09:18 AM)
Fair enough.  I'll go ahead and take your word for it.

There was a long period there during his hey in which he alienated himself from the White Sox fan base.  I can't quite pinpoint the when and where, but, it seemed he finally endeared himself to the aforementioned fan base, becoming very popular up until last year's historical run.  As I've mentioned, it's just a shame to see him once again alienate himself from a group that finally came to accept him and consider him the best player ever to put on the uniform.  Certainly, the majority of Sox fans won't read these quotes, and it probably won't even matter when it comes to his first at-bat or appearance in USCF, but, in some abstract way, it's jus disappointing.

Absolutely agree with you 100%. Something went wrong somewhere.. IMO, a lot of it had to do with when his dad got sick.

QUOTE(Allsox @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 09:25 AM)
And Frank, if you wanted a personal conversation with Kenny, PICK UP THE GODDAMN PHONE NEXT TIME!  :banghead

Again... don't believe everything you hear. Kenny's had it in for Frank for a long time. Ken Williams isn't Mr Innocent. Not even close. :ph34r:

When one or two guys leave and take shots at the organization, I figure it's just bitterness, etc. When it's all but a couple, I wonder if the organization has comunication problems, or it's just the nature of the beast.

Forget about pissing off all of your true fans and supporters in Chicago and on your former team, but for a guy that sure likes to put himself first, he is really beginning to screw himself out of very important votes for the HoF. Ask Ron Santo on how curtious to voters are on whiners. Frank is one of the best hitters I ever got to witness, but also one of the biggest idiots this city has ever seen. It would have been too easy for him to just get up and leave without barking selfish words. I, for one am happy we won't ever have to deal with this again. It would have only been a matter of time before he puts up some hissy fit in Spring Training on how he never got the respect (money) that Konerko is getting. Frank is truly in denial because he didnt get the story book ending that he wanted for himself, and from a lot of reports that Ive been hearing, perhaps in financial trouble as well. I very much doubt there were very many takers, nobody knows what the incentives are, but $500,000 aint s*** and the Sox were the perfect team to take that out on....

I laugh at some of these comments... wanted to be on the playoff roster?? :lol: Note to Frank, your not ready now, how does that change 3 1/2 months ago??

I agree with Milkman. I was a Sox fan long before Frank came around. I knew he was never the clubhouse, team leader, etc. He was always b****ing about his contract, arguing with his own manager about spring training exercises,etc.

I would of thought that yesterday at the press conference he would say that "I'm so happy to be a part of the A's organization. I'll do anything I can to help them win." Instead he took it as an opportunity to take parting shots at the Sox.

Not to mention his continuing quest for 500 HRs. Personally, I don't think he'll hold up to do it. His #'s are already there for the HOF. But with him still saying this stuff, it proves once again that he's a stat guy and not a team guy.

I say good riddance to him and Welcome to Chicago Jim Thome. He was a big headache to KW and probably Ozzie to.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 03:35 PM)
Again... don't believe everything you hear. Kenny's had it in for Frank for a long time. Ken Williams isn't Mr Innocent. Not even close.  :ph34r:

If there is a right way to tell someone's been fired (Which Frank seems to know), I'd love to hear one from him then.

Is Frank just being his b****y, normal self?

Or is he trying to forget about the White Sox, forget about his past, and move on?

Obviously, I'm going to try and back up Frank, no matter what he says, because I'm a Thomas homer...but from what I have seen in his comments, I see anger and jealousy, and if I had to guess, I would say it has a little something to do with a bit of a sad time in his life...probably one of the worst...leaving the Chicago White Sox, the only team he's ever played for in his entire career. He's trying to talk himself up, asking himself why they didn't want him back, because, truth be told, he is a better hitter than Thome(and all the stats prove Thomas and me right). I honestly think he's just in a bargaining stage right now, trying to figure out why the Sox didn't want him back after so many years with the organization and so many great memories capped off by a World Series championship. I think as the season goes on, and he winds up on the DL...he'll find out why very quickly why the Sox gave up on him.

If you and your girlfriend/boyfriend break up after 5 years of a very close but at times volatile relationship...you are going to try and do your best to forget about him/her, no matter what it takes...and you'll try and figure out in the end why exactly it happened, as the reason may not be clear to you at the time. I think that's all Frank's doing right now.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 03:27 PM)
I'm not Judging Frank by any of this right now.  I'm going to wait and see how he reacts to the gigantic, 39,000 person, 5 minute standing O he's going to get the first time he steps up to the plate in the Cell.

As I recall, in general, Sox fans have pretty good memories.

Do they let bygones be bygones and go about applauding him...or are there some boos mixed in with the standing O simply because of these comments he made?

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 01:55 PM)
God bless, Frank. We'll miss you.

But has anyone thought about how Big Frank being on the A's of all teams is really gonna hurt us? O_O

Oakland only plays us 6 times next year. We do have a series against them in September, but within about 10 days there they also have a 3 game set with the Twinkies and a 4 game set with the Tribe. They play the Tribe 9 times and the Twinkies 10 times total if I'm counting correctly.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 04:05 PM)
Oakland only plays us 6 times next year.  We do have a series against them in September, but within about 10 days there they also have a 3 game set with the Twinkies and a 4 game set with the Tribe.  They play the Tribe 9 times and the Twinkies 10 times total if I'm counting correctly.

I was talking more about quality. In those few games, if Frank is playing, I wonder what the final scores will be in those games >_>