Sirius PORTABLE summer 2006

Steff

http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/live-sir...in-mid2006.html

LIVE Sirius S50 Portable Due in Mid-2006

TAGS: Sirius Satellite Radio Sirius S50

There's no doubt the Sirius S50 is a huge leap forward in satellite radio receivers offered by Sirius, but one big request that many people are asking is: when can we have true portable live Satellite Radio?

The answer was given at the Global Media Conference yesterday, by David Freer CFO of Sirius Satellite Radio.

(drumroll please)

Expect to see true LIVE portable Sirius S50 by mid-2006! Here's the exact quote for you nitpickers:

"This product [sirius S50] will get incrementally better as we go into next year. Our chip development plans so far have been been optimized to reduce costs, as well as the form factor of the product. We'll take the same chip that sits in the S50 and power optimize it in the course of the next six months.

So mid-year next year you should expect to see an S50 product that is also a live radio when you're walking around with it.

And power optimizing the chip, in essence, gives you a smaller battery size, and so it keeps a very nice form factor for consumers."

Two words: kick ass.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 03:12 PM)
Say "Hi" to Opie and Anthony for me... :D

I've never listened to anything but baseball on XM... Jim's pissed cause it's been sitting dorment for the lat 2 months. :lol:

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 08:55 PM)
There's no NFL or NCAA hoops on XM!

There's 9 channels dedicated to NCAA hoops on XM(ACC, Big Ten, and Pac-10 are on XM. Big East, SEC, and Big 12 are on Sirius)... And it has baseball exclusively.

Baseball talk in December and January=God. I say this because 670 and 1000 are equivalent to 24/7 NFL networks.

Oh, and we got XM Roadie's free at the World Series as part of the biggest stadium giveaway of all time.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 05:27 PM)
I fmy wife ever gets her way and we move to Iowa, XM here i come! I need my WHite Sox baseball!

You also get other games too and can listen to several great broadcasters around the country. It really is great. Plus there is a baseball talk station that talks baseball around the clock. Perfect for the freaks on this site!!

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 05:31 PM)
You also get other games too and can listen to several great broadcasters around the country.  It really is great.  Plus there is a baseball talk station that talks baseball around the clock.  Perfect for the freaks on this site!!

On a total side note.... Who is that woman in your avatar???

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 05:14 PM)
MLB baseball

Big Ten Football

Better Quality

Done and Done

and Im a sirius stockholder.

Rock, you can watch/listen to your Sox games, since you are in Chicago. Big Ten Football is on TV here. This does not attract me. That being said, neither does Sirius' football, basketball or hockey.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 07:14 AM)
Not for long.  Sirius will pass them up.

Sirius has a long way to go before they pass up in members and technology. I love Sirius and I love XM.. for very different reasons, and don't see the logic in bashing one or the other.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 08:21 AM)
Sirius has a long way to go before they pass up in members and technology. I love Sirius and I love XM.. for very different reasons, and don't see the logic in bashing one or the other.

Its not bashing. I just think that Sirius will take the lead.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 07:29 AM)
Its not bashing.  I just think that Sirius will take the lead.

Based on what? Im not trying to argue here, but there is a clear difference in quality of sound and technology. XM is trading at roughly 5 times what sirius is going for. I dont see a changing of the guard anytime soon.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 11:07 AM)
Based on what?  Im not trying to argue here, but there is a clear difference in quality of sound and technology.  XM is trading at roughly 5 times what sirius is going for.  I dont see a changing of the guard anytime soon.

I think those XM numbers are being bloated by the free car installs. I also think Sirius was able to get the first big drawer, in Stern. And I don't think his full affect has been felt yet. I think more fans of his are still coming. And we all know I'm a Stern blow-hard, but out of the 2 companies, he is the biggest name.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 01:21 PM)

I am considering satellite radio. You said you have both and like them for different reasons.

Are you willing to share the reason you like each one?

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 11:46 AM)
I think those XM numbers are being bloated by the free car installs.  I also think Sirius was able to get the first big drawer, in Stern.  And I don't think his full affect has been felt yet.  I think more fans of his are still coming.  And we all know I'm a Stern blow-hard, but out of the 2 companies, he is the biggest name.

I dont listen to him, so I feel no effect of him being on that provider. I would rather listen to Mike and Mike in the morning on my XM radio. But I really love XM for the baseball, when im at my other house in Michigan in the summers, I love sitting by or on the lake and hearing hometown broadcasts of the sox on the radio. Nothing beats that IMO.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 12:22 PM)
I dont listen to him, so I feel no effect of him being on that provider.  I would rather listen to Mike and Mike in the morning on my XM radio.  But I really love XM for the baseball, when im at my other house in Michigan in the summers, I love sitting by or on the lake and hearing hometown broadcasts of the sox on the radio.  Nothing beats that IMO.

That is exactly why I would own XM, for baseball...if I had something like that. That is perfect for your situation.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 05:22 PM)
I dont listen to him, so I feel no effect of him being on that provider.  I would rather listen to Mike and Mike in the morning on my XM radio.  But I really love XM for the baseball, when im at my other house in Michigan in the summers, I love sitting by or on the lake and hearing hometown broadcasts of the sox on the radio.  Nothing beats that IMO.

I know nothing about the satellite units - do you have a portable unit? Is it just like carrying a portable radio?