Stereotypes

sox4lifeinPA

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 04:30 PM)
Do you think people play up their ethnic, gender, sexual stereotype intentionally? Do you think that it's just a byproduct of environment?

Intentional reinforcement of stereotypes for the following:

-Ethnic: no

-Sexual: yes

Byproduct of environment:

-Ethnic: yes

Sorry to disappoint you Los. But if you're seeking social conceptions of common stereotypes, This post has been edited by the Soxtalk staff to remove objectionable material. Soxtalk encourages a free discussion between its members, but does not allow personal attacks, threats, graphic sexual material, nudity, or any other materials judged offensive by the Administrators and Moderators. Thank you. ;)

Moderator note. Sorry Flash, but even though its in green and your intent was innocent, I just can't let that stay up on this board. I don't want to run the risk of a guest misunderstanding what green means here.

Edited by Rex Kickass

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 06:30 PM)
Do you think people play up their ethnic, gender, sexual stereotype intentionally? Do you think that it's just a byproduct of environment?

Yes. Although as a straight white chick I can only really speak to the gender stuff. And I definitely think people play that up.

Best way to pick up a guy is to act dumb and helpless.

Two things made me think about this:

1) That stupid "sweet 16" show on MTV followed this Cuban girl from Miami and her accent was SO exaggerated it was sad. Obviously TV changes people, but that's even more the point. The girl was 15 and was born in the US.

2) I saw this obese guy at school yesterday decked out in all camoflage and an Al Quida beard..you know the "I really shouldn't have a beard because my facial hair doesn't really grow in like an Amish guy's does"

I just thought to myself, "I wonder what the factors are that makes this guy dress and present himself in this way?" Attention? People around him dress this way?

It's all very fascinating.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 08:38 AM)
Two things made me think about this:

1) That stupid "sweet 16" show on MTV followed this Cuban girl from Miami and her accent was SO exaggerated it was sad. Obviously TV changes people, but that's even more the point. The girl was 15 and was born in the US.

2) I saw this obese guy at school yesterday decked out in all camoflage and an Al Quida beard..you know the "I really shouldn't have a beard because my facial hair doesn't really grow in like an Amish guy's does"

I just thought to myself, "I wonder what the factors are that makes this guy dress and present himself in this way?" Attention? People around him dress this way?

It's all very fascinating.

1) Miami - Cuba...is there really a difference? I can understand why she would have a thick accent living there. Now if you told me she was born in Idaho...then maybe you 'd have a case of over exagerrating.

2) It seems that most people that look different or feel eccentric like to exagerrate other things to disguise those traits. I don't particlularly know why. Maybe if you're overweight or not particularly attractive you do other things for people to look at. Like grow a weird beard and dress in camoflauge. Maybe it kind of gives people something else to focus on besides your weight. Or if you're not the most attractive girl...you dye your hair orange, get piercings all over, wear ripped tights, combat boots and goth makeup. So now when someone looks at you, they don't say..."dam that chick is kind of unpleasent to look at" they say "Yeah, she's kind of a weirdo"

This is purely a guess on my part....I have no idea really. Is it better to be looked at as a weirdo than an unattractive or overweight person???

I mean, I have also seen some girls that would be pretty dam hot if they didn't dress all crazy and stuff. So what drives them to do it?? I don't know, but I'm sure they all have their reasons...

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 08:31 PM)
Intentional reinforcement of stereotypes for the following:

-Ethnic: no

Byproduct of environment:

-Ethnic: yes

Sorry to disappoint you Los. But if you're seeking social conceptions of common stereotypes, This post has been edited by the Soxtalk staff to remove objectionable material. Soxtalk encourages a free discussion between its members, but does not allow personal attacks, threats, graphic sexual material, nudity, or any other materials judged offensive by the Administrators and Moderators. Thank you. ;)

Moderator note. Sorry Flash, but even though its in green and your intent was innocent, I just can't let that stay up on this board. I don't want to run the risk of a guest misunderstanding what green means here.

LMAO :lolhitting.... I'm not disappointed at all.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 06:27 AM)
Best way to pick up a guy is to act dumb and helpless.

It really doesn't even take that much effort. Not that I try to pick up guys.

I don't like when I meet someone and they assume I can hold my liquor just because I'm Irish. Like it comes natural or something. I'm like the Larry Bird of drinking. Minimal natural ability, but years of practice perfecting my craft.

Edited by Middle Buffalo