Hypothetical question

sox-r-us

So what happens IF either Kong (hip) or Thome (back, elbow)'s injuries flare up in the season to the point where they are done for the season and the A's are out of it by AS break.

Do you trade for Big Frank? If yes, what do you give up?

PS - I am not hoping or praying that Kong or Thome get injured. I believe what the Sox did was the correct thing in choosing Thome + Kong over Frank.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 03:33 PM)
The A's wont be out of it.

The A's won't be out of it...but it's entirely possible that they may need pitching more than they need a bat later in the season. It's at least plausible.

If Thome were to go down for the season, and somehow, Frank was having a fine, healthy season over in Oakland...and the A's were willing to take on extra salary and hurt their offense in exchange for 1 more dominant pitcher...sure I'd do it, but I doubt that's even possible for these reasons:

1. The only way the Sox would want to reacquire Frank is if Frank is having a very good, healthy, Frank Thomas type season. To me, this means he'd be on pace for 30+ home runs, playing most days of the week, and hitting .275 or up. If he's only playing 1/2 of the games each week...he's not going to be that useful or worth the price.

2. If Frank Thomas is playing at a level which would allow us to reacquire him willingly...he'll make at most $2.5 million. Billy Beane will not give up that kind of bargain unless we throw in everyone and their grandmother (would he like Buehrle?)

3. Our best bargaining chip, Contreras, could very well be more available at midseason if BMac continues to dominate and no one else develops any obvious health porblems. But Contreras also is still being paid a lot of money this season, and if the A's were to let Contreras walk at the end of the year...they wouldn't get draft picks. They would if Frank proved he was healthy and was offered arbitration.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 06:28 PM)
So what happens IF either Kong (hip) or Thome (back, elbow)'s injuries flare up in the season to the point where they are done for the season and the A's are out of it by AS break.

Do you trade for Big Frank? If yes, what do you give up?

PS - I am not hoping or praying that Kong or Thome get injured. I believe what the Sox did was the correct thing in choosing Thome + Kong over Frank.

tis a little early to be worrying about this.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 06:24 PM)
The A's won't be out of it...but it's entirely possible that they may need pitching more than they need a bat later in the season.  It's at least plausible.

If Thome were to go down for the season, and somehow, Frank was having a fine, healthy season over in Oakland...and the A's were willing to take on extra salary and hurt their offense in exchange for 1 more dominant pitcher...sure I'd do it, but I doubt that's even possible for these reasons:

1.  The only way the Sox would want to reacquire Frank is if Frank is having a very good, healthy, Frank Thomas type season.  To me, this means he'd be on pace for 30+ home runs, playing most days of the week, and hitting .275 or up.  If he's only playing 1/2 of the games each week...he's not going to be that useful or worth the price.

2.  If Frank Thomas is playing at a level which would allow us to reacquire him willingly...he'll make at most $2.5 million.  Billy Beane will not give up that kind of bargain unless we throw in everyone and their grandmother (would he like Buehrle?)

3.  Our best bargaining chip, Contreras, could very well be more available at midseason if BMac continues to dominate and no one else develops any obvious health porblems.  But Contreras also is still being paid a lot of money this season, and if the A's were to let Contreras walk at the end of the year...they wouldn't get draft picks.  They would if Frank proved he was healthy and was offered arbitration.

I'll give a fourth reason:

As long as KW is GM, Frank isn't coming back here as a player.

Bob

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 06:45 PM)
Bingo... we have a winner...

Great avatar too Rock... I bet people are twice as likely to read your posts than others based strictly on that photo....

Id want contreras for the post season, Frank is only a one year deal anyway

I would not trade contreras unless we have a very low chance of signing him and we get a great player signed for a very long time.