What have you been reading?

Rex Kickass

In the last month... what are you reading?

I just got through:

"Sex Drugs and Cocoa Puffs" by Chuck Klosterman

"Nobody's Fool" by Richard Russo

"Bait and Switch" by Barbara Ehrenreich

"Continental Drifter" by Elliot Hester

Currently reading "Sammy's Hill" by Kristin Gore, which looks really funny.

Unfortunatley a whole lot of nothing aside from newspapers and a few magazines. School and work are taking a big wet bite out of my time. Next book I read is going to be "Winning" by Jack Welch. I already have it, just have to wait for the next semester break to have sufficient time.

Edited by NUKE_CLEVELAND

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 10:43 PM)
The Jungle

Awesome book. It should be required reading for anyone living in Chicago.

I am working on Savanah, a historical romance novel set in the south during the Civil War. Amazing what one will do for love.

I am also trying to learn all I can about sailing. I am interviewing for a position that would have me running a camp out on an island in the gulf. Scuba, fishing, sailing, boogie boarding, etc.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 07:14 AM)
Awesome book. It should be required reading for anyone living in Chicago.

I am working on Savanah, a historical romance novel set in the south during the Civil War. Amazing what one will do for love.

I am also trying to learn all I can about sailing. I am interviewing for a position that would have me running a camp out on an island in the gulf. Scuba, fishing, sailing, boogie boarding, etc.

Good luck with that.

I never read fiction. I'm totally in to political and history books and religious / feel good type books.

But, I ran out of books I haven't read at home and had to break down one day as I was heading out the door for the train. I took my wife's copy of Harry Potter. I used to tease her for reading these "kiddie" books. I'm on the third book now and hooked as can be. :ph34r:

QUOTE(mreye @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 09:38 AM)
I took my wife's copy of Harry Potter. I used to tease her for reading these "kiddie" books. I'm on the third book now and hooked as can be.  :ph34r:

I re-read the harry potter series (they're totally a guilty pleasure), and I've been reading some Kierkegaard and re-reading Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 08:05 AM)
Not much freetime anymore, but I did just finish "Freakanomics" and it was one of the best books I have ever read.  Simply incredible.

I just finished this as well. Turned out to be one of the most dissapointing books I've ever read. You basically need no understanding of economics to follow the book. I was hoping for a delve into deeper economic analysis or at least some more explanation of the data manipulation but the book was written at a Jr. High level. Most of the focus are on a few hidden ideas that I never really thought about, but wasn't surprised/didn't care about once they were revealed. At least one of his assumptions is very misleading as well. If anyone else was curious about this book, I'd definitely check-out instead of buy. Like I said it's a real light read which you can easily finish in less than a week.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 05:38 PM)
Read that well before Oprah included it in her book club.  Thought it was a very good read.

I actually read a little of it before it got big as well. I was in the bathroom at a friends house and picked it up to pass the time.....I like it, i like his writing style, its almost stream of conciousness.