What have you been reading?

Rex Kickass

Almost done with "Night". It's a depressing but great book about the Concentration Camps. Short read, very interesting and informative memoir.

Started "Moneyball" finally. Not far into it at all, and probably won't finish it for a long time because I have to read "1984" and "Crime and Punishment" for school in the next month.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 01:12 PM)
I just finished this as well.  Turned out to be one of the most dissapointing books I've ever read.  You basically need no understanding of economics to follow the book.  I was hoping for a delve into deeper economic analysis or at least some more explanation of the data manipulation but the book was written at a Jr. High level.  Most of the focus are on a few hidden ideas that I never really thought about, but wasn't surprised/didn't care about once they were revealed.  At least one of his assumptions is very misleading as well.  If anyone else was curious about this book, I'd definitely check-out instead of buy.  Like I said it's a real light read which you can easily finish in less than a week.

It was never meant to be all of that, and that is why enjoyed it. Most books like that are so deep on theory and calculus that they lose track of the human element. I loved the real world feel to it.

I skip around between three books:

1) The Princes of Ireland by Edward Rutherfurd (okay, but not a page turner)

2) The Treasured Writings of Kahil Gibran (good, but so dense in style and long in content that you have to sip it like good brandy)

3) Healthy Selfishness by Drs. Rachael and Richard Heller (good self-help book)

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 07:05 AM)
Not much freetime anymore, but I did just finish "Freakanomics" and it was one of the best books I have ever read.  Simply incredible.

I really need to read this book.

EDIT: Oh, and 1776. Am going to start Nothing but Victory, about the Army of the Tennessee. Also, I probably will read From Dawn to Decadence by Jacques Barzun for at least another year. Barzun has read everything ever written, I think.

Edited by Mplssoxfan

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 06:59 PM)
Almost done with "Night". It's a depressing but great book about the Concentration Camps. Short read, very interesting and informative memoir.

Started "Moneyball" finally. Not far into it at all, and probably won't finish it for a long time because I have to read "1984" and "Crime and Punishment" for school in the next month.

I liked Crime and Punishment, but give yourself some time for it. It's some wordy stuff.

QUOTE(Cknolls @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 11:55 AM)
Bulls*** rolls downhill real nice..

I guess this instance of b.s. didn't bother me as much as if it were a famous person's memoirs. When I bought it I knew it was supposed to be a rehabbed drug addict's memoir. I always take things like that with a grain of salt. Like when you see a movie that is 'based on true events'. I just figure some, if not most, of it is exaggerated

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 06:39 PM)
Currently reading The Dharma Bums

Up next is "Doors of Perception", "Brave New World", Shame of the Nation", "On the Road" and "Amusing Ourselves to Death"

Doors of perception is a great read. I read it because Jim Morrison in the movie "The Doors" says that he based the name of his band on this book. Then I got into the intervewis of the Doors , blah blah blah.

Got Through:

The Myth of Sisyphus - Albert Camus

Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoevsky

Notes of A Dirty Old Man - Charles Bukowski

Then I got tired of these deep thinking books and read:

The Fantastic Mr. Fox - Roald Dahl

The Witches - Roald Dahl