Minaya and Mets seeking Contreras

SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 02:52 PM)
Milledge DOES hit for power.  He had a .487 SLG last season in AA and owns a .485 career SLG in the minors.  The reason he is such a highly touted prospect is because he has 5 tool potential.  Milledge can hit for AVG and get on base, hit for power, has a lot of speed, plays great defense in CF, and has a strong throwing arm.  I'd take him over Brian Anderson in a second.

That .487 SLG% isn't all that great when you consider his .337 BA. I'd like a little better than a .150 iso out of a power hitter.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That .487 SLG% isn't all that great when you consider his .337 BA. I'd like a little better than a .150 iso out of a power hitter.

How much power do you really need from CF? Milledge probably has just as much power as Brian Anderson but he does everything else better as well.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 02:55 PM)

So wait, you don't want to trade a pitcher who has had 1 spectacular half of a year while being average the rest of the time for argueably the best outfield prospect in the league because he doesn't have Barry Bonds power in the minors?

QUOTE(Felix @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 02:02 PM)
So wait, you don't want to trade a pitcher who has had 1 spectacular half of a year while being average the rest of the time for argueably the best outfield prospect in the league because he doesn't have Barry Bonds power in the minors?

Delmon Young is the best OF prospect in the league by far. I think everyone would agree with that.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 01:59 PM)
Without Contreras...

Buehrle

Garcia

Garland

Vazquez

McCarthy

:huh:

It's called sarcasm. I still wouldn't want get rid of Contreras mainly because of the injury factor. You're a pretty lucky team, along with skill if all of your starters never miss a start the whole season.

Here's another option...hold onto Contreras for a few months, and make this trade in June. That way, we can cut down on the innings we put on BMac's arm, we get to hope that one of the Mets' pitchers will go down with an injury (not out of the quesiton with Glavine or Martinez) and maybe drive up their desire...and we get to make sure for several months that no one suffers any ill effects from pitching in the WBC.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 02:05 PM)
And if one of them goes down?

Are we going to carry 6 pitchers next year in case someone goes down. We picked up Vasquez for a reason this year, and that was not to have 6 SP. Its a position of strength for trades, but it isnt the reason why we picked him up.

If you can get something of great value for Contreras who pitched one great half and had a few medicore years I say go for it.

Milledge in CF

Anderson in LF

Sweeney in RF

Owens as the 4th OF

And we are set for a few years in the OF.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 12:05 PM)
And if one of them goes down?

If I had a pitching staff with 6 Johan Santanas, I could feel confident in my pitching staff if one of them were to go down, because the other dominant starter could step into that person's place. But...if I were to run with a team of 5 Johan Santanas, and trade that last one for a Teixeira...I think i'd be in much better shape, even risking the injury.

If Milledge is as good as some have suggested and not a product of East-Coast-Hype...he can make our team better and cheaper and help us stay contending for the next 8 years.

The question is...are you willing to slightly reduce our chances of winning a world series this year in exchange for possibly increasing it significiantly the next 7 years after this one?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 02:11 PM)
The question is...are you willing to slightly reduce our chances of winning a world series this year in exchange for possibly increasing it significiantly the next 7 years after this one?

I say trading your best starter(imo he'll be our best this season) weakens your chances of winning the series an enormous amount.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 08:11 PM)
So then we have Cliff-Hermanson(?? about his back)-Baj-Munoz?-Jenks in the pen?????

:puke  :puke

Id do the deal if we got Sanchez who would prob make our bullpen is better since he is better suited for the bp than B-Mac.

Sanchez and Milledge or whatevr and id definitely do that deal..... you cant worry about injury all our pitchers have been horses and none of had injury problems so that shouldnt be a problem.

Plus Garcia's and Vazquez's teams prob wont make it past the first round when the pitch count is only like 60 or something like that.

Are we going to carry 6 pitchers next year in case someone goes down.  We picked up Vasquez for a reason this year, and that was not to have 6 SP.  Its a position of strength for trades, but it isnt the reason why we picked him up.

If you can get something of great value for Contreras who pitched one great half and had a few medicore years I say go for it.

Milledge in CF

Anderson in LF

Sweeney in RF

Owens as the 4th OF

And we are set for a few years in the OF.

Agreed, the reason KW traded for Vazquez was because he didn't think that he would be able to keep either Garland or Contreras long-term. He thought he may have to trade one of them. That means he probably only expected to have 5 starters, not 6. What if 2 of our starters get injured? Should we keep 7 starters then?

And I think people are expecting far too much for Contreras in a trade. Even if you believe that he is a top pitcher in baseball because he had one great half, he's still only under contract for one season. Expecting to get one of the best prospects in baseball in Milledge, Duaner Sanchez, AND another pitching prospect that could start for one season of Contreras is pretty ridiculous.

I guarantee that people will be pissed if we don't win the World Series next season and Contreras then goes on to sign elsewhere in the offseason. Everyone will say, "WHY DIDN'T WE TRADE CONTRERAS?!?"

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 02:22 PM)
I guarantee that people will be pissed if we don't win the World Series next season and Contreras then goes on to sign elsewhere in the offseason.  Everyone will say, "WHY DIDN'T WE TRADE CONTRERAS?!?"

Fantastic, and what if we get Milledge, he turns out to be a bust and JC continues his domination from last year? I'm sure no one would be b****ing. It's a 2 way street, jabroni.

Fantastic, and what if we get Milledge, he turns out to be a bust and JC continues his domination from last year?  I'm sure no one would be b****ing.  It's a 2 way street, jabroni.

True, it would be horrible if he's a bust but it's not like we would be trading a pitcher who is under contract for 3 years. Any prospects we would trade Contreras for could turn out to be busts.

Edited by SSH2005

Fantastic, and what if we get Milledge, he turns out to be a bust and JC continues his domination from last year?  I'm sure no one would be b****ing.  It's a 2 way street, jabroni.

By the way, I'd be much more worried about Brian Anderson being a bust. Milledge's minor league numbers are much better than Anderson's and Anderson is set to be our starting center fielder in 2006.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 03:30 PM)
By the way, I'd be much more worried about Brian Anderson being a bust.  Milledge's minor league numbers are much better than Anderson's and Anderson is set to be our starting center fielder in 2006.

Whoever said minor league numbers carry over to the majors, just because he sucks in triple a doesnt mean he is going to do bad in the majors, its all up to the player to perform.