Minaya and Mets seeking Contreras

SSH2005

I guess I missed the part when the White Sox traded all of their OF options in the minors and Brian Anderson which makes us need Lastings Milledge, now more than ever, even though he probably won't be ready until 2007.

Oh crap, I just did my research and that didn't happen. Give me the guy who will help us right away. It's not like we're an Oakland who have to find bargains and trade guys on their last year of their contract. Ask yourself this guys, is Milledge going to help us get to the championship more than Jose next year?(not that I'm saying we're winning a WS) I honestly don't think so. Contreras is much more of a need for next year than Milledge and when you're concentrating on trying to create a dynasty, you go with the players who give you the best shots now, not later. Especially when you have a bunch of OF's in your system.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 09:27 PM)
Especially when you have a bunch of OF's in your system.

Name a top outfielder in our system that isn't named Brian Anderson or Ryan Sweeney.

I guess there's Jerry Owens, but still. Our minor league outfield depth isn't that big anymore with the trade of Young.

Edited by Felix

Name a top outfielder in our system that isn't named Brian Anderson or Ryan Sweeney.

I guess there's Jerry Owens, but still.  Our minor league outfield depth isn't that big anymore with the trade of Young.

And we still don't know if Owens is a fourth outfielder or a potential starter. Also, Sweeney is still very young but he has to start showing some power potential. But a future outfield of Anderson in LF, Milledge in CF, Sweeney in RF, and Owens as a fourth outfielder would be pretty impressive. I doubt I'd miss Chris Young much if that happened.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 09:45 PM)
And we still don't know if Owens is a fourth outfielder or a potential starter.  Also, Sweeney is still very young but he has to start showing some power potential.  But a future outfield of Anderson in LF, Milledge in CF, Sweeney in RF, and Owens as a fourth outfielder would be pretty impressive.  I doubt I'd miss Chris Young much if that happened.

Plus Owens is woeful at defense from just about all the reports I've heard.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 08:29 PM)

I guess there's Jerry Owens, but still.  Our minor league outfield depth isn't that big anymore with the trade of Young.

So you want me to name OF's without naming the top 2? Okay, take out Jose Contreras' bad starts and he's a great pitcher. Consider this, most of our team last year did not even come from our system. You don't think the White Sox would sign a FA OF?

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 09:48 PM)
I just heard that he isn't any good in CF.  I thought that he was fine in LF but maybe there's a reason they stuck him there.

Ah, that could be it. That would make sense too, since he's not a CF.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 09:49 PM)
So you want me to name OF's without naming the top 2?

You said that the Sox have a bunch of OF talent in the minors. I assumed that you meant we had a bunch of good outfield prospects in the minors. If my assumption was wrong, I'm sorry, but if not, then what are you talking about?

QUOTE(Felix @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 02:50 AM)
You said that the Sox have a bunch of OF talent in the minors.  I assumed that you meant we had a bunch of good outfield prospects in the minors.  If my assumption was wrong, I'm sorry, but if not, then what are you talking about?

Their really raw and both be at the lower lvl's but you can also say this new kid Anderson Gomes and Salvador Sanchez our good OF prospects.....

QUOTE(Felix @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 08:50 PM)
You said that the Sox have a bunch of OF talent in the minors.  I assumed that you meant we had a bunch of good outfield prospects in the minors.  If my assumption was wrong, I'm sorry, but if not, then what are you talking about?

I said in our minors because people act like we didn't have any there and then I later went on to say our system. Fact is this, we have these guys:

Podsednik

Anderson

Dye

Borchard

Owens

Sweeney

Gomes(not ready yet though)

Sanchez(same)

And that's just off the top of the head. Milledge is not needed. At most within the next 2 years, we need 2 OFs and I expect Anderson and Sweeney to be manning those spots.

Edited by nitetrain8601

They'll be ready in 5 years. Right now, there is no need whatsoever for Milledge.

Ready for what? Their third stint in AAA? What evidence is there that either one will be ready in 5 years? Sanchez was bad at Bristol and we don't even know anything about Gomes. Just curious.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 09:05 PM)
Ready for what?  Their third stint in AAA?  What proof is there that either one will be ready in 5 years?  Just curious.

What proof is there that Milledge will do any better than Anderson or Sweeney? Fact is, he's not a need, he's not worth giving up an important piece to the puzzle for and the White Sox will survive without him.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 03:01 AM)
How are Salvador Sanchez and Anderson Gomes good outfield prospects?  One was bad in a rookie league and the other has never even had an AB in the minors.

Who said they were good pro's.... the question was asked who are good OF prospects and those 2 players are just that PROSPECTS.....that while havent shown it yet have a lot of talent and potential.

Who said they were good pro's.... the question was asked who are good OF prospects and those 2 players are just that PROSPECTS.....that while havent shown it yet have a lot of talent and potential.

They are just outfield prospects, not good outfield prospects. Milledge and Anderson are good outfield prospects.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 03:14 AM)
They are just outfield prospects, not good outfield prospects.  Milledge and Anderson are good outfield prospects.

No Milledge and Anderson are good prospects that are close to or are major league ready... Gomes and Sanchez are good prospects that arent close to major league ready....but all 4 of them good prospects in their own right.

What proof is there that Milledge will do any better than Anderson or Sweeney? Fact is, he's not a need, he's not worth giving up an important piece to the puzzle for and the White Sox will survive without him.

I never compared Milledge to Anderson or Sweeney. I was comparing Milledge to Sanchez and Gomes. Unlike Sanchez and Gomez, Milledge has put up good numbers at high A and AA. Sanchez was bad in a rookie league and Gomes has never even had an AB in the minors. That was my point.

No Milledge and Anderson are good prospects that are close to or are major league ready... Gomes and Sanchez are good prospects that arent close to major league ready....but all 4 of them good prospects in their own right.

Okay, what specifically makes Gomes and Sanchez good prospects instead of just prospects? I'm curious.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 10:05 PM)
Ready for what?  Their third stint in AAA?  What proof is there that either one will be ready in 5 years?  Just curious.

Jose, will be worth more at trade deadline time. Use him until just before the deadline and then trade him. Remember we kept Konerko during his contract year and then he signed. Actually, what the newspapers and media report aren't always 100% accurate. Did we get Griffey at the deadline last year, I will say as much as a good pitcher is to accquire I can't see a trade for only one unproved highly touted prospect.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 09:17 PM)
I never compared Milledge to Anderson or Sweeney.  I was comparing Milledge to Sanchez and Gomes.  Unlike Sanchez and Gomez, Milledge has put up good numbers at high A and AA.  Sanchez was bad in a rookie league and Gomes has never even had an AB in the minors.  That was my point.

And I was talking about OF depth and how Milledge is not needed. Is he closer than Sanchez or Gomes? Yes. But he's not needed at all for this organization.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 10:17 PM)

You are taking Phil Rogers words WAY too seriously.

QUOTE(forrestg @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 07:19 PM)
Jose, will be worth more at trade deadline time.  Use him until just before the deadline and then trade him. Remember we kept Konerko during his contract year and then he signed.  Actually, what the newspapers and media report aren't always 100% accurate.  Did we get  Griffey at the deadline last year,  I will say as much as a good pitcher is to accquire I can't see a trade for only one unproved highly touted prospect.

Several points.

1. Even though we kept Konerko last year...the only reason to keep Contreras after next year is if someone gets hurt...what with BMac sitting there waiting for his shot.

2. If we use him to the deadline...his stock will almost certainly drop, for several reasons.

a.) He may either struggle or wind up with some sort of injury during the 1st half, at which point his value plummets. Not likely, but possible.

b.) The team trading for him will only have him for 1/2 of a season, and will probably be willing to pay less accordingly, unless they feel fully confident they could resign him to an extension.

c.) Once the season starts...the pool of teams willing to trade for him will decline when some teams suffer injuries, poor starts, or unexpected collapses. For example...for all we know, the Cardinals could need pitching to make a run next year. But if Pujols were to get hurt...then they may as well throw in the towel. The Astros, Mets, Angels, etc., could all wind up totally out of the pitching market if their season starts and someone gets hurt or struggles.

d.) Once the season starts and we see who's the best in each league...we might not want to deal with them anyway. What happens if the Mets run out to a gigantic start and put the rest of the NL away? Do we want to make them better so that they can beat us in the W.S. once we know that they're already good?

e.) Once the season starts...teams may discover that they don't need as much pitching. The Orioles might trade a ton for a pitcher right now...but let's say once the season starts they discover that Mazzone is as good as advertised and somehow their staff turns into a Leo Mazzone staff. Then all of a sudden...they have no interest in pitching, and the market declines.

For all of these reasons...the market at the trading deadline may well be less than it is right now. For it to be better, you're counting on a specific set of circumstances...some team, almost certainly in the NL, who starts off the season with a good offense but a struggling pitching staff, and who is willing to sell out their minor leagues for a 1/2 year shot at a title. That is actually a very rare set of events.