Minaya and Mets seeking Contreras

SSH2005

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While all this discussion is cool and all, Contreras won't be traded until well into spring training if at all. With the rotation throwing so many innings last season and Garcia and Vazques pitching in the WBC, I don't think Kenny will even consider trading Contreras until those guys are in camp and he can see that everyone is healthy and schedule to start the season. Then he might pull the trigger on a deal.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 01:08 AM)
Lol go check the ESPN Mets board... all of them just about think giving up Floyd alone is overpaying for Contreras...... :bang

I know they got an up and close look at him while he was bad with the yanks, so maybe thats all they remember......maybe its like the Cubs trading kerry wood to seattle and he has one awesome second half and then we were in dire need of a pitcher and his name kept coming up, im sure most of us wouldnt want kerry wood either. but it still dosent change the fact that jose isnt going to be traded unless we get reyes,milledge or wright for him.

QUOTE(dmbjeff @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 02:56 PM)
I know they got an up and close look at him while he was bad with the yanks, so maybe thats all they remember......maybe its like the Cubs trading kerry wood to seattle and he has one awesome second half and then we were in dire need of a pitcher and his name kept coming up, im sure most of us wouldnt want kerry wood either. but it still dosent change the fact that jose isnt going to be traded unless we get reyes,milledge or wright for him.

Then he's not going to the mets because 2 of the 3 you just mentioned are untouchable (Wright is beyond untouchable) and Milledge will not be comming here for a 50 year old Contreras who's contract is up.

Guys I think its pretty clear Ozzie and Kenny plan on having Contreras around. I don't think Kenny was bs'ing when he said he'd have to get a guy that could pencil into the rotation this year and the next few years and would have to be a good starter.

Unless he gest that he isn't making a deal. He went on to say nothing like that is on the table and its unrealistic to expect anything. What we see is what we have.

Only possibility is if our lefty relievers don't impress (the ones fighting for the final spot) and Kenny goes out and fortifies it with a trade during spring training.

I've been wrong before, but I feel very strongly about this and all these Contreras talks are flat out BULLs***. Maybe the other teams want em, but none of them have what Kenny wants.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 03:46 PM)
Guys I think its pretty clear Ozzie and Kenny plan on having Contreras around.  I don't think Kenny was bs'ing when he said he'd have to get a guy that could pencil into the rotation this year and the next few years and would have to be a good starter.

Unless he gest that he isn't making a deal.  He went on to say nothing like that is on the table and its unrealistic to expect anything.  What we see is what we have.

Only possibility is if our lefty relievers don't impress (the ones fighting for the final spot) and Kenny goes out and fortifies it with a trade during spring training. 

I've been wrong before, but I feel very strongly about this and all these Contreras talks are flat out BULLs***.  Maybe the other teams want em, but none of them have what Kenny wants.

That's what I've been thinking.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 03:37 PM)
Then he's not going to the mets because 2 of the 3 you just mentioned are untouchable (Wright is beyond untouchable) and Milledge will not be comming here for a 50 year old Contreras who's contract is up.

I only mention those 3 names, becuase those are the only 3 that would be an upgrade to our ballclub. We don't have too many holes on our team. The left side of the infield, is the only area I would upgrade. Crede and Uribe are probably our two weakest position spots. Some may say Anderson may be weak as well since he is unproven at the MLB level but they dont have a ML ready CF except Beltran and that trade won't be happening. I say Milledge because he is one of their few remaining stud prospects remaining after Minaya traded everyone away for the Marlins 1B and C and he looks to be a stud come 2007.

QUOTE(dmbjeff @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 12:56 AM)
I only mention those 3 names, becuase those are the only 3 that would be an upgrade to our ballclub. We don't have too many holes on our team. The left side of the infield, is the only area I would upgrade. Crede and Uribe are probably our two weakest position spots. Some may say Anderson may be weak as well since he is unproven at the MLB level but they dont have a ML ready CF except Beltran and that trade won't be happening. I say Milledge because he is one of their few remaining stud prospects remaining after Minaya traded everyone away for the Marlins 1B and C and he looks to be a stud come 2007.

I'd say the bullpen is in much bigger need of an upgrade than the left side of the infield.

QUOTE(dmbjeff @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 01:56 AM)
Crede and Uribe are probably our two weakest position spots.

LOL, yet in the Playoffs and World Series these were the two most valuable players on the field, defensively and offensively.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 04:39 PM)
LOL, yet in the Playoffs and World Series these were the two most valuable players on the field, defensively and offensively.

Idonno id say in the WS maybe idonno Jermaine Dye was a little more valuable than one of these guys?... also Konerko in the ALCS?

Ill give you Crede he was awesome.... but besides the last game when he was awesome Uribe was just ok in the field for the playoffs.... remember Garland's game he made a couple of dumb mistakes in that one.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 01:53 PM)
Defensively.  Damn sure not offensively.

I've given up on both of these guys becoming high-OBP hitters. If they weren't stellar defensive players with some power at the plate, they'd both be utility players.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 10:42 PM)
Both Crede and Uribe got the job done offensively in the playoffs.  Of course,  you want to see them do it on a more consistent basis.

Uribe hitting in the 2 hole will be better for him. His numbers hitting second are the same if not better than iguchi's.

Uribe hitting in the 2 hole will be better for him.  His numbers hitting second are the same if not better than iguchi's.

Not quite...

Iguchi (career stats batting 2nd): 507 AB | .274 AVG | .338 OBP | .434 SLG | .772 OPS

Uribe (career stats batting 2nd): 584 AB | .269 AVG | .321 OBP | .433 SLG | .755 OPS