GQ's most hated athlete

Finally, some national recognition for the Sox. GQ's list of the top ten most hated athletes in sports.

Top 10: 1, Terrell Owens; 2, Barry Bonds; 3, auto racing's Kurt Busch; 4, Curt Schilling; 5, Kobe Bryant; 6, Fisherman Michael Iaconelli; 7, basketball's Bonzi Wells; 8, golf's Phil Mickelson; 9, baseball's A.J. Pierzynski; 10, tennis' Lleyton Hewitt.

A pro fisherman, Michael Iaconelli, ranked sixth on GQ magazine's list of 10 most hated athletes — but it wasn't for lack of trying to be like the No. 1 guy, banished Eagles receiver Terrell Owens.

"When he catches one, you've got the fist pumps, the running around the boat, the lying flat on the boat. He'll stare at the fish, yell at it, point at it. He'll shake his finger at it."

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 10:29 AM)
Finally, some national recognition for the Sox.  GQ's list of the top ten most hated athletes in sports.

Top 10: 1, Terrell Owens; 2, Barry Bonds; 3, auto racing's Kurt Busch; 4, Curt Schilling; 5, Kobe Bryant; 6, Fisherman Michael Iaconelli; 7, basketball's Bonzi Wells; 8, golf's Phil Mickelson; 9, baseball's A.J. Pierzynski; 10, tennis' Lleyton Hewitt.

A pro fisherman, Michael Iaconelli, ranked sixth on GQ magazine's list of 10 most hated athletes — but it wasn't for lack of trying to be like the No. 1 guy, banished Eagles receiver Terrell Owens.

"When he catches one, you've got the fist pumps, the running around the boat, the lying flat on the boat. He'll stare at the fish, yell at it, point at it. He'll shake his finger at it."

Not surprised at all AJ made the list. I think its by vote by peers. The Booyah story from teh ALCS a few years ago makes this no surprise

QUOTE(Brian @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 11:43 AM)
Why all the heat on Curt Schilling? Am I missing something. This isn't the first I have heard about people hating him.

I think it's because people believe he's a self-promoter and a blowhard.

Like he'd call a press conference to announce what he's having for lunch.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 12:43 PM)
Why all the heat on Curt Schilling? Am I missing something. This isn't the first I have heard about people hating him.

He doesn't shut up about anything. That's why people hate him.

I'm surprised Ron Artest isn't on this. And I don't watch golf, but why is Phil Mickelson hated?

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 11:26 AM)
He doesn't shut up about anything.  That's why people hate him.

I'm surprised Ron Artest isn't on this.  And I don't watch golf, but why is Phil Mickelson hated?

Schilling and Mickelson are essentially the same guy. The media loves them because they make themselves available and give good quotes. Teammates/guys on the tour see them as phonies. Self promoters.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 11:43 AM)

Maybe cause everyone knows he lied at the roids hearings... ;)

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 01:53 PM)
Yeah AJ's never been a well liked guy, except by his teammates excluding San Francisco.

I've heard from several players that the incidents there were greatly overstated..

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 10:26 AM)
He doesn't shut up about anything.  That's why people hate him.

I'm surprised Ron Artest isn't on this.  And I don't watch golf, but why is Phil Mickelson hated?

The only people who don't like Artest are his victims.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 01:40 PM)
Maybe cause everyone knows he lied at the roids hearings...  ;)

yep, first in the media he came out and said there was use all over the place and he had seen it, then at the hearings he pretty much said that he had heard about steroid use only "through the grapevine" for lack of a better term.

add in to that the fact that he runs his mouth a ton, bashed a questec machine, instantly adopted a yankee hater hat before he even played 1 game in boston, speaks his mind about politics when he has just about no qualifications to and i think its pretty reasonable that he is on that list

As a frequent B.A.S.S. tournament watcher, Mike Iaconelli is one of my favorite fisherman. The man is a lunatic but very entertaining...all while being one of the top anglers on tour as well. He's yelled at numerous fish, screamed in childish glee after catching a few, and he even break dances on the f***ing boat after he catches a monster. Whats not to like about the guy???

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 10:10 PM)
As a frequent B.A.S.S. tournament watcher, Mike Iaconelli is one of my favorite fisherman. The man is a lunatic but very entertaining...all while being one of the top anglers on tour as well. He's yelled at numerous fish, screamed in childish glee after catching a few, and he even break dances on the f***ing  boat after he catches a monster. Whats not to like about the guy???

Is he more crazy then a younger Rolin (sp?) Martin..? My dad used to watch that stuff when I was a kid.. holy crap was it boring.... :sleep

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 08:27 AM)
Is he more crazy then a younger Rolin (sp?) Martin..? My dad used to watch that stuff when I was a kid.. holy crap was it boring....  :sleep

I would say he is twice as crazy as Roland Martin, Jimmy Houston, and Bill Dance combined.