Bears To Target Randle El

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 01:54 PM)
Washington.

Eh, with as little money as they have to play with, they worry me less than the other guys. The Bears should be able to outbid them at a reasonable price. The other guys are the ones who could actually overpay for El if they really felt like they needed to.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 01:54 PM)
Washington.

If its true and they've traded for Brandon Lloyd, that would take them out of the picture. Pitt appears to be willing to match any contract (as long as it isn't ridiculous).

I sure as hell hope someone not named Chicago offers up a ridiculous contract cause I don't want him. Now if it were an affordable contract I'd shut up, but he's gonna get way overpaid.

Just ask Lions fans how great of a deal Az Hakim was. Hakim was a better player than Randle El too and just like El was a mediocre WR.

Redskins | Lloyd trade done

Sat, 11 Mar 2006 15:56:29 -0800

Greg Beacham, of the Associated Press, reports the San Francisco 49ers have traded restricted free agent WR Brandon Lloyd to the Washington Redskins for the Redskins' third-round pick in this year's NFL Draft and their fourth-round selection in 2007.

Done deal. Hopefully that takes them out of the ARE sweepstakes, but I wouldn't put anything past that franchise.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 07:14 PM)
Fwiw, an article I read this morning (probably on ESPN, but I don't remember) said the Redskins were aiming at BOTH Randle El and Lloyd.  And I've heard that Randle El is the #1 target.  Again, lots of misinformation is out there, take it fwiw.

Randle El, Lloyd, and Santana Moss? I suppose Washington wants to stockpile all wide recievers 6 feet and under.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 05:09 PM)
If its true and they've traded for Brandon Lloyd, that would take them out of the picture.  Pitt appears to be willing to match any contract (as long as it isn't ridiculous). 

I sure as hell hope someone not named Chicago offers up a ridiculous contract cause I don't want him.  Now if it were an affordable contract I'd shut up, but he's gonna get way overpaid. 

Just ask Lions fans how great of a deal Az Hakim was.  Hakim was a better player than Randle El too and just like El was a mediocre WR.

If we have the cap room, I'm ok with overpaying for him. I don't know if you watch Chicago Bears football week-in-and-week-out, but, the added dimension he would add to the offense is worth overpaying. True, he is not #2 WR material, but, he is fine in four receiver sets, he can throw the deep-ball, and would slide right in as the return man.

The markets are all crazy now anyway. For every quality signing, there are four irrational ones.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 04:55 PM)
If we have the cap room, I'm ok with overpaying for him.  I don't know if you watch Chicago Bears football week-in-and-week-out, but, the added dimension he would add to the offense is worth overpaying.  True, he is not #2 WR material, but, he is fine in four receiver sets, he can throw the deep-ball, and would slide right in as the return man.

The markets are all crazy now anyway.  For every quality signing, there are four irrational ones.

The only game I missed in the past 4 years was the final game of the regular season this past year (the Vikings game). It was my break to get ready for the playoffs :)

And I'm not ok with overpaying. We are in a good cap position because Angelo has had success in the draft and has been smart with who he's given contracts to and how he's given out the contracts. He's a very cap savvy GM and with his ability to find talent in the draft as well, it means he should be able to make us a contender in this league, year in, year out.

That said if I'm shocked and he ends up signing a modest contest, I don't mind Randle El. He's a good guy who played good in the playoffs and is a playmaker.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 11:09 PM)
I sure as hell hope someone not named Chicago offers up a ridiculous contract cause I don't want him.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 01:32 AM)
Supposedly Dan Snyder has ARE, Archuleta, Andre Carter, and Lloyd in his suite at the Wizards game tonight with intentions to sign all of them.  Not sure how credible the source is, but we will see.

Ask and ye shall receive, I guess. Reasonableness seems to offend Dan Snyder.

Just saw this on a Bears board.

Bears | Team reportedly made a contract offer to Randle El

Sat, 11 Mar 2006 23:40:52 -0800

The Chicago Tribune reports the Chicago Bears reportedly delivered what is believed to be a five-year contract offer to agent Fletcher Smith as soon as the free-agent market began Saturday morning, March 11, for Smith to present to free agent WR Antwaan Randle El (Steelers). It's possible the Bears would be willing to offer the sixth year that Randle El's camp is seeking.

Bears | Randle El rejects team's offer

Sun, 12 Mar 2006 09:47:18 -0800

Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports free agent WR Antwaan Randle El (Steelers) has rejected a contract offer from the Chicago Bears. His agent is still in contact with the team to keep talks open.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting. He probably still wants a 6th year out of us or something.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 11:57 AM)
Bears | Randle El rejects team's offer

Sun, 12 Mar 2006 09:47:18 -0800

Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports free agent WR Antwaan Randle El (Steelers) has rejected a contract offer from the Chicago Bears. His agent is still in contact with the team to keep talks open.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting.  He probably still wants a 6th year out of us or something.

I'm still thinking it will get done. Much like the Skiles negotations of last year, both parties want to make it happen and it should get done.

That agents is earning his money, though. It's been reported his client wants to come to Chicago, and he has still found a way to remain in the cat-bird's seat. Hats off to him.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 01:04 PM)
Dumb question, I imagine, I'm just a bit confused on this:

Why would an NFL player want an extra year?  Without guaranteed contracts, what's the advantage?  Is all this "6th year" talk just code for a bigger bonus?

Bingo.