Bears To Target Randle El

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is one of those rare cases where I endorse over-paying for a talent. I think Randle-El would add such a unique threat to an otherwise stagnant offense that he would pay for himself. Whenever you have a defensive coordinator spending time on another player like that, it opens up some other aspect of the game.

It sounds like he wants to be here. Bring him home.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 08:22 PM)
This is one of those rare cases where I endorse over-paying for a talent.  I think Randle-El would add such a unique threat to an otherwise stagnant offense that he would pay for himself.  Whenever you have a defensive coordinator spending time on another player like that, it opens up some other aspect of the game.

It sounds like he wants to be here.  Bring him home.

Agree 100%. Especially with the first line.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 06:22 PM)
This is one of those rare cases where I endorse over-paying for a talent.  I think Randle-El would add such a unique threat to an otherwise stagnant offense that he would pay for himself.  Whenever you have a defensive coordinator spending time on another player like that, it opens up some other aspect of the game.

It sounds like he wants to be here.  Bring him home.

I think you're right in the overpaying...because aside from T.O., there doesn't seem to be an obvious candidate to fill the role of a speedy receiving threat on the Bears this offseason. The draft doesn't have a big number of WR's who seem late-first-round sort of guys, and the Bears have other draft needs (TE, DB).

If the Bears can fill in their secondary and pick up a TE through other FA's and the draft...then Randle El is probably worth some extra green.

The problem with EL is that he dosen't add the missing dimension to the WRs, speed deep. I really liked what Bradley showed me before getting injured but El is not much different than Muhammad as a WR. He does provide a return man and can throw the ball but that is not really the Bears style of ball control and smash-mouth defense. If you can get him, great. But I would not spend $12.5 million for him. He doesn't do that much for you.

he is a great PR/KR but Randle El really isnt a better recieving threat than the guys we have challenging for the number 2 spot now...... His biggest advantage is that with him you can add trick plays but unlike the Steelers I dont see the Bears doing many of those.

If he doesnt cost 2 much I'm fine with him but dont overpay for a mediocre WR at best thats best strength on offense wont be utilized on this team.

QUOTE(My Dixie Normus @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 08:22 PM)
The problem with EL is that he dosen't add the missing dimension to the WRs, speed deep. I really liked what Bradley showed me before getting injured but El is not much different than Muhammad as a WR. He does provide a return man and can throw the ball but that is not really the Bears style of ball control and smash-mouth defense. If you can get him, great. But I would not spend $12.5 million for him. He doesn't do that much for you.

The Bears played ball control/smash mouth offense when they had Orton because even with Muhammad that was basically all they could do...you gave Orton a 3rd and 4 and he was guaranteed to end the drive.

Grossman...a guy with a decent arm who can spread a defense out more might benefit from having extra speed on the outside...and that speed would really open up the running game as well (and I still hope Benson can have a better year next year, giving the Bears a genuinely dominant 1-2 running threat, a-la the Broncos last year).

But of course...that requires Mr. Glass to stay healthy.

QUOTE(My Dixie Normus @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 04:33 AM)
Grossman is only a more seasoned QB than Orton. Long term, and if the Bears don't go another direction, Orton should develop into a good NFL QB.

I dont know what you saw in Orton last year to think he will be a good NFL QB. He didnt show any flashes of greatness or anything like that. Now I know you dont expect big things from rookies their first year but usually they show something that tells you they have talent. Orton did none he just benefitted from a good running game and a great defense behind him.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

NFL free agency finally began late Friday, and the Bears zeroed in on their No. 1 target when they contacted the agent for Antwaan Randle El and discussed at length a long-term deal for the wide receiver/returner from Thornton High School.

The extension of the collective bargaining agreement brought additional teams and dollars into the market. But Angelo and the Bears, in contact with agent Fletcher Smith as soon as the market opened, were seeking to avoid a protracted bidding war with teams that included the Dallas Cowboys, Philadelphia Eagles and Washington Redskins.

The two sides are discussing a deal of five or six years, believed to be valued in excess of $20 million. The Bears will have to wait until Randle El visits the Redskins, but they made a strong start to upgrade their offense.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 10:08 AM)
He can expect it, but if he gets it some GM is smoking crack.

He's gonna get way more than he's worth. He's a mediocre 3rd receiver (AT BEST) who can return punts (NOT KICKS). Why in god sakes should a team pay him all this money. Givens is superior and will get far less money.

People are really over-rating Randle El.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 01:12 PM)
He's gonna get way more than he's worth.  He's a mediocre 3rd receiver (AT BEST) who can return punts (NOT KICKS).  Why in god sakes should a team pay him all this money.  Givens is superior and will get far less money. 

People are really over-rating Randle El.

Its unfortunate if Angelo ends up overpaying him, but the guy fills a few glaring holes that the bears have in a #2(even though you think he is no better than a #3, on the Bears he instantly is better than anyone except Muhammed) WR and punt/kick returner.

And then the whole "Im from Chicago" thing isnt helping either.

I hope Angelo doesnt overpay, but it looks very possible at this point.

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 10:39 AM)
Its unfortunate if Angelo ends up overpaying him, but the guy fills a few glaring holes that the bears have in a #2(even though you think he is no better than a #3, on the Bears he instantly is better than anyone except Muhammed) WR and punt/kick returner. 

And then the whole "Im from Chicago" thing isnt helping either. 

I hope Angelo doesnt overpay, but it looks very possible at this point.

What makes people assume he'll be the kick returner. He's never been much of a KR in the pro's.

So were paying millions to bring in a PR when Drummond is available and he's a better KR and PR than Randle El. And for teh amount Randle El gets you could probably bring in Drummond, Givens (a superior WR), and part of Archuletta's contract.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 01:25 PM)
Washington is close to landing Lloyd which would hopefully take them out of the ARE sweepstakes.

Also...ARE is visiting Chicago tomorrow, Archuleta on Monday.

Damn, Lloyd is another guy superior to Randle El.