Scot Gregor's Q & A with Kenny Williams

SSH2005

QUOTE(TLAK @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 06:41 PM)
The 3.5 is paid regardless. 

The decision is on .5 million guaranteed, after excersing the 3.5 option which applies in either case.

Look, Frank wouldn't take a pay cut to play for the Sox, and that is a fact.

KW discussed options to have him finish his career with the White Sox, but Frank wasn't willing to listen to anything that would have cost him his guaranteed $$. (Per KW via BRUUUUCE on ESPN 1000 today)

There is no way Frank would have ever signed with the Sox for the deal he took with Oakland.

Even if he did, he would remind us of it every chance he got.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 08:04 AM)
So lets get this right, you wanted the Sox to resign Thomas over trading for Thome?

kyyle, I don't look at it in that way. I feel the team would have been stronger with Aaron Rowand + Carl Everett + Frank Thomas coming off of surgery (also two good prospects in the organization) than with Jim Thome coming off of surgery, a rook in CF and a ?? to fill out the third roster spot.

I'm not bashing Thome, I think he used to be a hell of a ballplayer, and hope he can return to his All-Star form. But I read these moves as related, and feel the team is weaker overall.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 06:57 PM)
Look, Frank wouldn't take a pay cut to play for the Sox, and that is a fact.

KW discussed options to have him finish his career with the White Sox, but Frank wasn't willing to listen to anything that would have cost him his guaranteed $$. (Per KW via BRUUUUCE on ESPN 1000 today)

There is no way Frank would have ever signed with the Sox for the deal he took with Oakland.

Even if he did, he would remind us of it every chance he got.

I interpret that as meaning Frank could have stayed if he gave up the $3.5 million option guarateed by his existing contract. Isn't that equivelent to asking him to pay for the privelege of staying on the team?

QUOTE(TLAK @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 07:03 PM)
I interpret that as meaning Frank could have stayed if he gave up the $3.5 million option guarateed by his existing contract.  Isn't that equivelent to asking him to pay for the privelege of staying on the team?

There was a multiple year guaranteed contract presented. Frank didn't want to listen and activated his $10M option. The 3.5M option was only guaranteed if Frank first activated his player option for $10M. He could have declined that, with a deal worked out in principle to replace the existing one.

Your beef is with Frank Thomas. He didn't want to stay here. Not if it meant having the indignity of taking a pay cut.

No. Frank prefers playing the martyr. "He wasn't loved in Chicago. They didn't treat him with the re$pect he de$erved." Cry me a f***ing river.

You can keep defending him, but please acknowledge that he only cared about the money, and the perceived power that it brought him.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 07:13 PM)
There was a multiple year guaranteed contract presented. Frank didn't want to listen and activated his $10M option. The 3.5M option was only guaranteed if Frank first activated his player option for $10M. He could have declined that, with a deal worked out in principle to replace the existing one.

Your beef is with Frank Thomas. He didn't want to stay here. Not if it meant having the indignity of taking a pay cut.

No. Frank prefers playing the martyr. "He wasn't loved in Chicago. They didn't treat him with the re$pect he de$erved." Cry me a f***ing river.

You can keep defending him, but please acknowledge that he only cared about the money, and the perceived power that it brought him.

If it played out the way you describe, I got no arguement with you. As time goes by, these things sometimes come to light. I would be astounded if KW's offer amounted to $4 million guarenteed in return for Frank not using his option. Who knows, I was astounded the Sox went 5 years, no strings, with Kong. I get astounded a lot lately.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 12:29 PM)
Who knows, I was astounded the Sox went 5 years, no strings, with Kong.  I get astounded a lot lately.

Because of they didn't, he'd be with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim right now. And that's a major hole in your lineup that you suddenly have to fill.

And of course if you say, well we'll just sign Frank Thomas then, who's going to play 1B? If it's Thome, it increases the risk of him getting injured once again.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 07:49 PM)
Because of they didn't, he'd be with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim right now. And that's a major hole in your lineup that you suddenly have to fill.

And of course if you say, well we'll just sign Frank Thomas then, who's going to play 1B? If it's Thome, it increases the risk of him getting injured once again.

I loved the signing and am only astounded that the SOX, THE WHITE SOX, THE CHICAGO WHITE SOX did it!

QUOTE(TLAK @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 08:53 PM)
I’m disappointed he didn’t ask him why it’s so F’ing smart to trade the most productive two way CF in the American League and two very hard to find LH pitching prospects for a $13 million 35 year old slugger who hit 7 homeruns in a season limited to 59 games due to injury, while letting go a $0.5 million 37 year old slugger who hit 12 homeruns in 34 games a injury season.

1.) Aaron Rowand wasn't that good offensively last season.

2.) The Sox aren't paying Thome $13 million a season.

3.) Why are you only looking at home runs? They both had low BA's but Thome still drew a ton of walks.

4.) Why are you comparing the injuries of a guy who has played 143+ games in each season to a guy who has played 429 games since 2001?

5.) Thome already had TJS for his elbow, and has been conditioning his back since August. Thomas is 6'5' and weighs 270+ pounds and has ankle problems. Who is more of an injury risk and how much so?

1.) Aaron Rowand wasn't that good offensively last season.

2.) The Sox aren't paying Thome $13 million a season.

3.) Why are you only looking at home runs? They both had low BA's but Thome still drew a ton of walks.

4.) Why are you comparing the injuries of a guy who has played 143+ games in each season to a guy who has played 429 games since 2001?

5.) Thome already had TJS for his elbow, and has been conditioning his back since August. Thomas is 6'5' and weighs 270+ pounds and has ankle problems. Who is more of an injury risk and how much so?

Well said!

QUOTE(TLAK @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 01:16 PM)
I loved the signing and am only astounded that the SOX, THE WHITE SOX, THE CHICAGO WHITE SOX did it!

Ahh sorry, I thought you meant astounded as in it wasn't a good idea.

But I think we're all pretty happy that they did go through with it. :)