Crazy-ass NBA Trade

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 10:26 PM)
Lots of players moving around, but in the end, doesn't mean much. Not much in terms of quality being upgraded.

Blount> the bust. Davis> the overpaid scrub of a small foward tht has spent his entire career with the timberwolves. Marcus banks is just an added bonus... not to mention the timberwolves got rid of two players they want no part of and a ridiculously expensive one in wally.

Edited by q\/\/3r+y

With NBA trades you have to look at the salary cap hits... one of the contracts being traded might be off the cap at the end of the year, thus making a real s***ty player worth a ton (Tim Thomas is an example of this).

Not 100% sure if that is the deal with this trade, usually one of the papers will break it down.

QUOTE(q\/\/3r+y @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 10:29 PM)
Blount> the bust. Davis> the overpaid scrub of a small foward tht has spent his entire career with the timberwolves. Marcus banks is just an added bonus... not to mention the timberwolves got rid of two players they want no part of and a ridiculously expensive one in wally.

Blount is horrible and any Boston fan will tell you that. Plus his contract is for 4 more years IIRC. Horrible, horrible contract. Davis is a nice player, but he's not the difference between wins and losses IMHO. Olowakandi is horrible, but this is his last year on his deal. Wally has been playing pretty decent this year, but has a big contract(11, 12, 13 million). Other 2 guys are scrubs. Boston also gets a 1st rounder from Minnesota. Minny gets 2 future 2nd rounders.

Again, a lot of activity, but if you look at it deeper, no one really wins or losses. It's a lateral move for both teams.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 08:05 PM)
Garnett's gonna be pissed.

I said a couple of days ago they had to make a major move to shake this team up because they were going nowhere after 2 big losses.

But now they've mortgaged their future even more, and I'm not convinced that they're much better off at all.

It makes me glad though that Kevin McHale isn't the GM of the team I go for.

McHale just outlasted their window for winning it all. He couldnt do any wrong a few years ago, the players just couldnt come through in the playoffs year in, year out. Now McHale is just grasping at straws trying to build around Garnett again.

I think Garnett is going to be out of Minnesota in under a year from now, to tell you the truth.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 12:28 PM)
I don't think Davis is that good. If Olawakandi resigns with Boston then I think Boston got the better end of the trade.

From what I've heard from fans here, it sounds like they're gonna let Olawakandi walk and that they were trying to dump Blount's contract. Rebuilding, I guess?

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 11:45 AM)
From what I've heard from fans here, it sounds like they're gonna let Olawakandi walk and that they were trying to dump Blount's contract.  Rebuilding, I guess?

Yeah sounds like it. They have some major problems up in Boston, in more than 1 sport.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 05:47 PM)
Szczerbiak was better than either of those two guys from Boston and Olowokandi was at least mediocre.

But what kills me the most...

Minnesota gave up a 1st rounder as well.

McHale is an idiot.

Wally Sczerbiack is getting paid 36 million over the next three years, and the one and only thing that he gives you is shooting. There is literally nothing else. That is a New York Knicks contract.

Ricky Davis might be a scumbag, but he can drive, shoot, pass, rebound a little bit, and give you some mediocre defense. He's been one of the top 6th men in the league for a few years now. Also, he is top 10 in Assist-To-Turnover ratio this year. He is 10 times better than wack-ass Wally World

Olowakandi is one of the biggest jokes in this league. Nobody cares less than that guy, except for maybe Mark Blount. :D

The Timberwolves just became a much better defensive team, y'all. I like their personnel with Banks, Carter, Hassell, Garnett, Griffin, etc. Blount can play a little on-the-ball defense when he feels like it. Now they have to make a run at a legitimate scoring option out of the 2.

You're calling McHale an idiot in this exchange? Ainge has been drafting high schoolers in the first round for three straight years now (Jefferson, Perkins, Green). To me, that would indicate that they should be in an all-out rebuilding mode. But no, they acquire Wally f***ing Sczerbiak with 36 million left on his contract, and they still have Paul Pierce. Nice building blocks. If McHale is an idiot, then Danny Ainge is borderline retarded.

Edited by hammerhead johnson

Not as lopsided as I first thought. I don't like losing Ricky but getting rid of Blount and the albatross of a contract was priority #1. Wally is a punk, but he can shoot. Kandi is gonna sit every game and then he's a free agent. It's time for Jefferson and Perkins to take over for good. They weren't gonna keep Banks anyway, and Reed is a free agent too. As good a defender as he is, they weren't using him much anyway. Plus they get a first rounder. The main problem is that Wally doesn't play defense, so instead of giving up 100 points a game, now they might give up 102-103.

It doesn't really matter though, this team isn't going anywhere this year. Not only are they incapable of winning on the road, but at home they have the uncanny ability to jump out to leads and then turn around and let the other team back in it (see: wednesday's disgusting loss to Washington). They are too young, they don't know how to win games yet. It's going to be two-three years before all this rebuilding shows any results.

Edited by Spiff

QUOTE(Spiff @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 06:16 PM)
It doesn't really matter though, this team isn't going anywhere this year.  Not only are they incapable of winning on the road, but at home they have the uncanny ability to jump out to leads and then turn around and let the other team back in it (see: wednesday's disgusting loss to Washington).  They are too young, they don't know how to win games yet.  It's going to be two-three years before all this rebuilding shows any results.

Without Pierce, what would they be, maybe 8 to 10 games worse in the standings right now? Then they'd have a Top 5 pick in next year's draft.

I don't think that I'm overrating Pierce. That guy is an offensive assassin who will singlehandedly keep you in games/win games against scrub opponents. Big SGs who can score at will are not necessarily good to have when you're in rebuilding mode (see Tracy McGrady, Kobe Bryant, etc). They'll f*** with your draft status, there's no question about it. The key to sucking hard is to get yourself an undersized ball-hogging combo guard like Marbury, Francis, Ben Gordon, Jason Terry, etc. The list goes on and on.

QUOTE(Spiff @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 01:16 PM)
Not as lopsided as I first thought.  I don't like losing Ricky but getting rid of Blount and the albatross of a contract was priority #1. Wally is a punk, but he can shoot.  Kandi is gonna sit every game and then he's a free agent.  It's time for Jefferson and Perkins to take over for good.  They weren't gonna keep Banks anyway, and Reed is a free agent too.  As good a defender as he is, they weren't using him much anyway.  Plus they get a first rounder.  The main problem is that Wally doesn't play defense, so instead of giving up 100 points a game, now they might give up 102-103.

It doesn't really matter though, this team isn't going anywhere this year.  Not only are they incapable of winning on the road, but at home they have the uncanny ability to jump out to leads and then turn around and let the other team back in it (see: wednesday's disgusting loss to Washington).  They are too young, they don't know how to win games yet.  It's going to be two-three years before all this rebuilding shows any results.

The Doc Rivers special?

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 01:34 PM)
Without Pierce, what would they be, maybe 8 to 10 games worse in the standings right now?  Then they'd have a Top 5 pick in next year's draft.

I don't think that I'm overrating Pierce.  That guy is an offensive assassin who will singlehandedly keep you in games/win games against scrub opponents.  Big SGs who can score at will are not necessarily good to have when you're in rebuilding mode (see Tracy McGrady, Kobe Bryant, etc).  They'll f*** with your draft status, there's no question about it.  The key to sucking hard is to get yourself an undersized ball-hogging combo guard like Marbury, Francis, Ben Gordon, Jason Terry, etc.  The list goes on and on.

They'd be at least 8 to games worse without Pierce. But this draft doesn't look too great anyway, so I don't really mind losing draft priority. Drafting players is the one thing Ainge has proven he can do.

Boston is a tough city when it comes to trading superstars. People get attached, and they get pissed. But it worked with Nomar, and it's really worked so far with Joe Thornton. I like having Pierce around still, it's a pride thing. I feel bad for him, because he plays with a bunch of guys that turn the ball over 25 times a game or whatever, but him being on the team means we at least have a chance to win.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 12:41 PM)
And that's another thing.  Doc Rivers isn't cut out to coach young players.  He's like the NBA's version of Dusty Baker.  He has zero patience.

yeah, i was reading Bill Simmons take on this (on a side note, I think his normal columns have gotten a touch stale, and the slurrping of Schilling that was posted this week made me stop after a few paragraphs, but he is one of the few people who write really in depth on the NBA) and he mentioned Rivers has played all 12 players on the roster multiple times in the first half!! That is crazy to me. An NBA team should really only have an 8-9 man rotation IMO, and to play all 12 guys just creates a cluster and poor flow in a game.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 10:53 PM)
Is Davis really that good? He's never been on a winning team before IIRC.

No, he's bad. I would go so far as to say any team without out him is much better than with him. He's a negative influence. We're talking about a guy who once deliberately missed a shot at his own basket to pad his rebounding statistics in an attempt to record his first career triple-double.

This trade is good for the Celtics, only because Davis is gone. I don't care about the rest of it. I am not sure what the Wolves we're thinking and I feel bad for KG. It's about time he starts demanding a trade and Paxson swoops in and offers something like Deng, Gordon, and Thomas for KG straight up.