Devil Rays to get new nickname for 2007

SSH2005

This is so lame...

The Devil Rays will definitely have a new nickname beginning in 2007, team president Matt Silverman said yesterday.

Silverman reported that the new ownership has learned there's a "negative association" with the terms "Devil Rays" and "devil," though that's probably just because the team has sucked for the duration of its existance. It may be that the "devil" will be dropped from the name, leaving us with the Tampa Bay Rays. However, other nicknames are being considered.

Source:  Tampa Tribune

:lol:

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 08:30 AM)
chuck lamar tried to make this happen before he got fired, but he would not settle for any other name than "yankees," "red sox," or "cubs," so nothing got done.

LOL, I heard he was holding out for "better" names.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 07:30 AM)
chuck lamar tried to make this happen before he got fired, but he would not settle for any other name than "yankees," "red sox," or "cubs," so nothing got done.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 08:05 AM)
LOL, I heard he was holding out for "better" names.

I hope kyyle and I are not the only ones to find the humor in that.

Brilliant.

QUOTE(heirdog @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 01:42 PM)
Hmmm...the New Jersey Devils, Duke Blue Devils and Miroslav Satan don't seem to have a problem with the connotation.  I think its time to find some other lame excuse for the lack of team success.

I never heard anyone complain about the New Jersey Devils or Duke Blue Devils. However, the name Devil Rays sounds terrible, the sound of Tampa Bay Rays sound bad also. If it were me, I would hold a contest and let the fans choose a new name.

Washington Bullets are the last team I can think of to make a change because of connotation.

Tampa Bay Ray sounds like a caller on a bad sports talk show. How about the Tampa Bay 2 for 1? Tampa Bay Senior Citizen Discouts? That was they can market at the same time. I'm shocked they aren't talking about dropping the Tampa Bay. I'll bet the Vegas Devil Rays would draw better.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 07:38 AM)
Washington Bullets are the last team I can think of to make a change because of connotation.

Tampa Bay Ray sounds like a caller on a bad sports talk show. How about the Tampa Bay 2 for 1? Tampa Bay Senior Citizen Discouts? That was they can market at the same time. I'm shocked they aren't talking about dropping the Tampa Bay. I'll bet the Vegas Devil Rays would draw better.

Vegas Rays?

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 05:09 PM)
Vegas Rays?

When you have a team that's the 2nd or 3rd most profitable in baseball every year, why the Hell would you move it? In Vegas there might be more pressure to win.

Besides, somehow I get the feeling we'll be seeing the Vegas Marlins first.

QUOTE(whitesox1976 @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 03:04 AM)
I never heard anyone complain about the New Jersey Devils or Duke Blue Devils.  However,  the name Devil Rays sounds terrible, the sound of Tampa Bay Rays sound bad also.  If it were me, I would hold a contest and let the fans choose a new name.

What fans?