Oh Frank, Please Quiet Down

Steve9347

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just a difference of opinion. Frank believes he can play another 5 yrs. Kenny doesn't. Frank's a proud man who isn't going to let any one rain on his dreams.

The White Sox could have handled it better. I think we can all agree on that. But it wouldn't have changed anything. Frank is visibily upset he did not get a chance to finish his career with the White Sox. Especially after they had just won the World Series.

Try to put yourself in his shoes (though we are all likely to float in them). The team you played for you whole life just won the World Series. You feel good about yourself. You think you can play another 5 yrs. You get a v-mail just shortly before the Winter meetings from Kenny which amounts to "you're history Frank." How would you react? You would be crushed, hurt, angry, & everything else that comes to mind. Hell you might just bust the phone & the machine you heard the message on.

Then you would calm down a bit & say to yourself, "I'll show them who's history!" You're going to narrow down your options to contenders because you want to play in the World Series before it's over. You hit it off with the famous A's GM Billy Beane & bingo .. the wheels are in motion. Now you have an opportunity to show up Kenny in the biggest way possible.

Maybe it's petty to let a personal grudge get in the way of your love for a franchise but in Frank's case I don't think you can say that. He really believes that he has 5 good yrs left in him & there was no way imaginable Kenny was going to keep him on that long.

This separation was inevitable. With the White Sox playing fewer games vs the A's than any other ALC opponent this year it's probably better it had happened this year.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

Thomas: ''But he's a big left-handed presence; maybe that's what they wanted, just a big left-handed hitter. It wasn't a better hitter, I'm gonna tell you that right now.''

I know it's hard for some to see it but that is a concession statement by Thomas. If you look at the AB/HR ratio of LH bats at the cell over recent years it's a decisive advantage. Frank is clearly away of the simplicity of the argument: it's more difficult for a RH bat to blast one out of the cell than a LH bat.

Bottomline: Chance favors the LH power bat at the cell.